Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I hope icenetwork will post the teleconference audio, as they've done in past years. US Figure Skating tweeted a couple quotes from the teleconference too:
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/253917041617158145

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/253918335950024705

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/253920633245802497

Good quotes. :)

2. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Seriously though, did any team ever actually say they were sorry they had programs that were crap, and they apologized to their fans for it :lol:

But I love their positive attitude.

3. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

:lol: I imagine it would go like this:

"We just wanted to tell our fans in advance that we've realized the judges don't actually care about more of the stuff. So we're sorry, but this program is all gynecological lifts and O-faces. And we're skating to a mash up of skating's best warhorses. There is no actual theme, choreography, or transitions. Because we're trolling the judges pretty hard this time."

4. DORISPULASKI

5. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

It's such a nice feeling to know Sinatra didn't happen. I can only be satisfied now.

I can't wait to get my rear end to Skate America.

And to see if Meryl will inject purple into anything. I guess if she wanted to dress like Disney's Esmeralda...

6. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I just can't wait to see their interpretation of Danse mon Esmeralda. Meryl is just perfect for the role and Charlie is gonna be the new Gwendal with their similar golden curls. Soooo cannot wait!!!!

I'm also curious what other pieces they're using. Notre Dame de Paris has quite a number of great songs to choose from.

Is it Skate America yet?

7. literaryfreak

I just realized the big University of Michigan vs. Michigan State football game is the same weekend as Skate America.

Poor Charlie. :lol:

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

How will he cope??! :rofl:

9. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Well maybe it will bring out his emotions again! Poor Charlie, I really do feel for him. I hope he's able to keep his focus.

I'm loving most of the SDs I've seen so far. I love the YP and its just fun to see what the teams are coming up with. I watched some of Finlandia and I loved B/S and C/Ls programs, both were fun and interesting. I also really liked H/Ds, the Merry Widow Waltz was lovely and the YP section was great...the Irish music from Titantic (don't know the name of the song). I can't wait to see Meryl and Charlie's SD.

10. literaryfreak

Ohhh, their SD makes so much more sense to me now. :duh: I didn't understand what the concept was, but Titanic would explain the costumes too. Thanks, tapdancer. :)

Did C/L have their SD before the Marina/Igor split? I was watching it and wondering if Igor would've given music like that to D/W if they had stayed with him. Their entrance to the twizzles reminds me a little of the original Eleanor Rigby twizzle entrance.

11. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I believe that one is John Ryan's Polka. It's the Gaelic Storm recording that isn't on any of the soundtracks, as far as I know.

When I realized what was going on with their SD I was instantly delighted. Way to do a Titanic SD without being obvious (that's probably the best way to do one, really).

So far I don't think I've seen a SD I didn't like. I wish V/M hadn't had to drop from Finlandia because their music for it is just wonderful and I really wanted to see what they had up their sleeves. Ah well!

Can't wait for Giselle.

12. ~tapdancer~

So far I'm loving all the programs I've seen from the top ice dance teams. I just watched H/Ds FD and it was great. Just fits them so well and I can't wait to see it again more polished. Zach's expression was wonderful, it brings out his power.

I know it's kinda pollyanna of me, but I have just enjoyed most all the SDs and FDs I've seen so far, everyone just seems to be having such a good time whether they are being playful or dramatic.

So of course I am so excited to see D/W's FD, we know they know how to tell a story and they have improved even more (and with more maturity), so I'm really hoping Notre Dame de Paris will be another great one for them.

I'm also really looking forward to what the Shibs have in store.

13. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

14. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

What a great article! I'm so excited to see their programs.

15. DORISPULASKI

How many of you are going to SA? I am-good lord willing and the crick don't rise :laugh:

16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'll see you there, Doris! :)

Speaking of SA, I wonder what exhibition Meryl and Charlie will perform. I'm excited to see something new!

17. ~tapdancer~

Great article! Love their positive attitude. Sounds like they are ready to bring it, can't wait!

18. DORISPULASKI

I'm so nervous for them ;)

19. jobelle

jobelle Member

I like what I'm hearing from them! They are always positive to start the season but I still get excited anyways :)

20. carolina

carolina New Member

Me too! ;)

21. literaryfreak

I tend to love Meryl's picks especially, so I have a good feeling about their Notre Dame. The Giselle SD sounds like it will be light and fun while sophisticated.

Same here! :)

22. DORISPULASKI

A good question. When do they debut new exhibitions? There usually is at least one a year, but don't they generally surface somewhere between US Nationals & Worlds?

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see the new programs!!! :)

24. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I will be! I haven't been since 2002. Every other time Nationals or SA popped up in my state, I was on the other side of it and couldn't go.

25. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Last year they did "Someone Like You" at SA, but they had to have it ready for Fashion On Ice, which was before SA. In Portland, they did one of their numbers from a Disson show, too. No Disson shows before SA this year, so we'll get to be surprised. :)

26. jobelle

jobelle Member

I would love to be at SA ... I'm from the area BUT I would happen to be out of town that very weekend :(
    I still haven't seen Meryl and Charlie skate live and this was likely to be my best chance. Still trying to convince family members that they should go in my place.

27. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

which part of giselle are they doing?

28. DORISPULASKI

Act I; polka, waltz, march.

The ongoing discussion at GS is interesting, because 2 reporters who were on the conference call are discussing it. The rest of us are :watch: and just hope we hear more.

29. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I don't follow any V/M threads. What happened with their music?

30. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Nothing happened to their music. They withdrew from Finlandia Trophy because of Moir's injury (a slight muscle strain in his neck).