Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I hope Meryl & Charlie move to Igor; I love Chock and Bates Dr. Zhivago FD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm3r2utNDbc&feature=plcp

(they just won Nebelhorn with it)
    It's a coherent story, and the lifts are just wonderful.

Instead of saying Free Meryl & Charlie from Igor, maybe we should have been saying "Free Igor, Meryl & Charlie" from Marina?

On their icenetwork bio, Igor is listed as the sole choreographer.

2. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Hm, i am not sure C-B programs was made only by Igor. They wasnt at WCh. the season was end after Nationals so i think there FD was made with Marina.
    How quikly you change your mind. Only some maounth ago you are talking D-W last season FD was mastepiece. And this FD was made by Marina ;)

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

We haven't even seen D/W's FD yet, lol. I like the Dr. Zhivago program but I loved their Chopin more. I thought it had a more unique flavor. I do think their SD is fabulous.

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

We can't take TanithandBenFan's opinion! She's the only person who liked Madison and Evan's FD last year! :drama:

I haven't watched Dr. Zhivago yet. I would have liked Meryl and Charlie to go with Igor for a couple of reasons. I think, in the end, both Tess & Scott and Meryl & Charlie would be better off to be in separate places for the 2014 Olympics. I think it's the best shot we, as the audience, have of getting the best competition. And I feel like Igor's programs for Meryl and Charlie tend to be more intricate and difficult than Marina's. But, on the other hand, Marina has given them some of their most emotional programs over the years.

But I am really, really looking forward to Notre Dame de Paris. Ultimately what I want for them is an intricate, difficult program that engages the audience. Where ever they get that is fine with me.

6. DORISPULASKI

? I still like Meryl & Charlie's last year's program, but they made the program rather than the program making them...same could be said of Tessa & Scott's program last year. The programs were not inherently good-the dance teams were.

I think both teams could do with someone else's choreography rather than Marina's. I just never expected that Igor would do something with some uniqueness to it, and that the somebody could be Igor.

Of course, I probably will love D&W's program this year...haven't seen it yet, or know for sure what it is.

But something interesting would be nice for them, and for Tessa & Scott. IMO, only, of course.

7. Theatregirl1122

Was your question mark directed at me, because I'm not sure I know what you are confused about?

8. DORISPULASKI

pani (or Inap), not you :lol: the posts crossed in the ether.

9. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, not a fan of one of the lifts, but it's really nice overall. I'm glad to seem them doing so well. I think they have great chemistry and despite the height difference they have very similar lines and style. I think they "match" better than they did with their previous partners.

10. Jessiebanana

Oh and I LOVE their SD. It's original music wise for the YP, but it doesn't seem awkward or forced. I like how they had a lot of solo jumping steps in the previous sequence, so that once they came together for the CD portion it just made sense that they would be so exuberant. Nice job to whoever choreographed it.

I think going with Igor is the best choice for them because (a) they need the technical support more than any of the other top Canton teams and (b) being a new team I think they'll excel where they are the #1 or 2 team instead of the #4 team. They just need that extra attention to catch up with the experience together the other teams bring.

11. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I was expecting more given the comments. There is a heck of a lot of hand to hand dance holds in between. One lift looks like a lesser version of the goose lift. They don't seem yet to have great connection. And her foot position, toe point is terrible. They also don't get great depth of edge in their circular step sequence.
    Sorry really underwhelmed. But I do like them better then Hubbell /Donoghue.

12. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I think D/W are in a place where they know what they need best. If anything the split between Shpilban and Zueva will probably make those two come up with newer and fresher ideas.

I thought C/B were wonderful. It was such a nice surprise to see them both skating so well. I think the Shibutanis better watch it because C/B & H/D are coming out with guns blazing!

13. Theatregirl1122

That makes much more sense. Lol.

14. TanithandBenFan

I'm doing a blog series looking back at Skate America of years past, and I had to share this pic of Charlie from 2007. I don't think we'll ever see him in a hat again after the laughter this one caused. :lol:

15. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I actually giggled more at Meryl's yellow handkerchief! Charlie looked cute in that hat...:)

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I remember some vid of him at an official competition practice, telling the fans, "I just know you're laughing WITH me, not AT me, right?"

17. Theatregirl1122

Poor charlie. Everyone was totally laughing at him.

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

The renaissance hat thinggie...isn't it technically a bonnet?

19. ~tapdancer~

Naw, it was a Russian style...Katinka, remember?

But maybe they called it a bonnet...

Also, isn't it just amazing how far they've come in five years? I was loving them way back then but had no idea how invested I would become and that they would be our first US World champs. They more than exceeded my expectations...by light years!

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

No, I really didn't remember seeing it before. By the time they got to Worlds, it was gone and if I'd ever seen them dance with it on, it must have gone into selective memory. Cannot imagine why.

Definitely agree on the improvement since then. In their programs and choice of accessories (or lack thereof ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzPOtIkI9I0

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I always think of Fievel the Mouse when I see Charlie in that hat. :lol:

22. TanithandBenFan

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Great minds think alike!! :D

(great blog post btw)

24. DORISPULASKI

I remember Charlie was quite positive about that hat, being a really Russian hat and all, particularly purchased for its Russian authenticity and Cyrillic label inside. Which, when you think about it, is what the same hat style was doing on Fievel the mouse.

And Ripley's Believe It Or Not, the little hankies were used in a number Russian presentations of Russian folk dances that I watched in youtube back when I was writing an article about translating folk dance to ice. The hat & hankie were at SA and no where else. And icenetwork still has the video, although youtube does not.

25. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

You mean the music/dance? That's actually 'Kalinka', not 'Katinka' :D. Katinka is short/a pet name for Ekaterina in Russian.

26. ~tapdancer~

Oh, I know! For some reason I always think of that song as Katinka! I knew I did it again after reading Tabfan's blog post!

27. TanithandBenFan

28. Jessiebanana

They're the only skaters that have ever made terrible folk music (well maybe not terrible, but not awesome for ice dance) and dorky ass costumes look adorable and fun. Meryl looks likes she was born to wear that outfit. Seriously I normally cringe when I see this type of program about to be performed.

29. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

30. iNap

iNap Active Member