Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Scott's off ice behavior doesn't really bother me but I don't see any reason why a skater's off ice behavior shouldn't affect how you feel about them. People become fans for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it is because something in their skating grabs you, sometimes it is because you get to see a really big moment for them live and you become emotionally invested in them, sometimes it's because you have a funny exchange with them in the lobby of a hotel. Not everyone is a fan purely because of a skater's skating and nothing else. And I'm not sure why they should be.

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I think I know what you mean:

D/W have a sense of abandon. You can't fake that. For all their talents, it is one thing Tessa and Scott do not have.

3. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Who said that? I at least didn't. I just explained how it is for me, but I didn't imply that it should be like that for everyone. Still, if you would ask me, I'd say that you can't be a fan of a person - you can like a person, but if you don't like what they do on ice/stage/so on, then you're not a fan. In that case it's something else.

4. Theatregirl1122

I was responding the poster directly above me who said that they knew they shouldn't let Scott's personality affect whether or not they are a fan. But I also disagree with you. If you are rooting for an athlete, you are a fan no matter why you root for them. Although my point was not that you n be a fan without liking someone's skating. It was that you can become a fan for reasons other than skating. For me there is a difference between enjoying someone's skating and really being a fan and rooting for them.

5. Piper

Piper Member

I agree, but I meant that a good skater doesn't have to be a good person - and I hope I'm more a fan of figure skating than skater's personalities. :D

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

And having a sense of abandon is not always a positive thing in ice dance in some fans' eyes. :shuffle:

7. iNap

iNap Active Member

maybe then get eyes checked :rofl:

8. Theatregirl1122

I think we can all agree that Meryl and Charlie and Virtue and Moir fans may value different things in ice dance and that we all accept that not everyone will agree with our opinion.

9. comickiwi

comickiwi New Member

Agreed, they all have something that is exceptional in the ice dancing field and all aspects of it should be appreciated no matter who the skater is.

IMHO, it's the "superhero" image that people form in their minds when they like/admire someone. From far, it's all good but up close, the idol is a normal person who eats, poops, sleeps like everyone else. I suppose it shatters the fan's impression a little when a glimpse of reality is seen and more often than not it is a tad disappointing. To be fair, we caught only a snippet of Scott's behaviour and do not know what led to it, the whole situation could have been completely misconstrued.

10. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I watched the SD from Salt Lake last night. I can't wait to see what Meryl and Charlie do this season.

I also have to admit surprise. When Yankee Polka was announced I thought we would be subjected to lots of accordian music and mental images of beer gardens. But nothing I watched yesterday even seemed like polka music to me.

And I know I can't change anything and I have to live with it but I HATE THE SD concept. (sorry, needed to vent).

11. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I've been surprised I don't hate it as much as I expected. Really, it's not very different from the OD. They just replaced the steps in hold (always my least favorite OD element) with the CD pattern. I think the GW dances were so bad because that CD pattern took up twice as much time as most (plus the incongruous combination GW made with all those tangos). Now that they are choosing shorter CDs and no longer require the two CD segments to be consecutive, I think these dances could be about as good as some of the old OD combinations were if choreographers could get their thinking past the CD segments.

12. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

I was looking at the GP assignments and something struck me. Was 2008 Skate Canada the last GP Meryl and Charlie have done outside of SKAM, COR, and NHK? I know there are only 6 events, but it hit me for some reason.

13. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct.
    2009-NHK, COR, GPF
    2010-SKAM, NHK, GPF
    2011-SKAM, COR, GPF

14. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I just watched the SD from the SLC comp, I pretty much enjoyed all the dances, they were fun and engaging. Only one that was hard to get through was the couple that did ChimChimCheree and Supercalifragilicious...that was so cheesy. Gilles/Poirier also did Mary Poppins but their music cuts were much better. I always liked Paul and I like him even better with Piper, he just looks like he is loving it out there.

Really enjoyed Lynn and Logan's SD, hope they fix the ending, he almost fell over. It was a tricky ending. Madison and Evan's SD was pretty good, too, it didn't seem as fun as some of the others but it was all right. Her dress wasn't bad, I think she tweaked it some. I can't quite figure out why O'Brien/Merriman continue to get such low scores, they look so improved from years back. Guess they just still aren't there yet.

Watching all the Yankee Polkas, though, all I could think of was how none could touch Meryl and Charlie's YP.

15. MarieJessup

MarieJessup New Member

I wish I knew more about what the judges are looking for in the YP sections. I noticed that the only team to get better than a level 2 on the second section of the YP was the last place team. Does anyone know specifically what the judges are looking at in the 2 sections? Besides the technical question, I really like the music that the teams are using, I too was expecting a lot more horrible polka music. So far I've been pleasantly surprised!

16. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

That is found in ISU Communication 1721.

Key points In judging the Yankee Polka

Section 1 (Steps 1-25)

Key Point 1 - Lady & Man Steps 5-7 (RBO, LFO, CR-RFO-SwR)
    - Correct Edges

Key Point 2 Lady Steps 12 & 13 (LFI ClCho, RBO)
    - Correct Edges
    - Correct Turn
    - ClCho: correct placement of the free foot

Key Point 3 Man Steps 12 & 13 (LFI ClCho, RBO)
    - Correct Edges
    - Correct Turn
    - ClCho: correct placement of the free foot

Section 2 (Steps 26-52)

Key Point 1 Lady Steps 32 & 33 (RFI3, LFO-Rk) & Man Steps 32 & 33 (LFI3, RFO3)
    - Correct Edges
    - Correct Turns

Key Point 2 Lady Steps 38-40 (RFI, RFI3, LFO-Sw)
    - Correct Edges
    - Correct Turn

Key Point 3 Man Steps 38-40 (RBO3, LFO-Sw, RFI3)
    1. Correct Edges
    2. Correct Turns

17. iNap

iNap Active Member

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

19. iNap

iNap Active Member

20. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

We heard the music news, pani.

21. iNap

iNap Active Member

I hope for more details. I wish to know what music cut they select from Notre dame to make FD program. This season will be so greate :)

22. lauravvv

I somehow don't believe that we will find out about the exact selections until Skate America.

23. TanithandBenFan

24. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

25. lauravvv

I had forgotten that the ukrainian team Siobhan Heekin-Canedy/Dmitri Dun used 'Notre Dame de Paris' (including 'Danse mon Esmeralda') for their FD last season - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItE61IUKmY4. They were 15th at Europeans and Worlds. The dance was nice, but nothing spectacular, like, I am sure, Meryl and Charlie's version will be :).

26. TanithandBenFan

27. martyross

martyross New Member

28. iNap

iNap Active Member

29. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

30. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member