Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I'm watching this FD again and there's so many things to love. One of my favorite details is how Meryl slowly straightens her knee in the spin to go with the woman's voice, like she's unfurling herself. It's very "blink and you'll miss it." I also love how in that first lift, it looks like Meryl's in limbo for the first rotation or two - you can't exactly predict what will happen next and it looks like it won't work but it does, very heart in your throat.

The changes I'm not so keen on:

1. I miss the old start to the circ step sequence, the one from the tango. It's a beautiful movement and goes better with the music. And they still got a Level 2 with the new version.

2. The old version of the straightline lift (one of the most important high points of the FD for me) where Meryl's free leg is nearly vertical, was exciting and impressive to me. There was en element of "How is she doing that??" since I see it as a sideways split and defying gravity. This new version, where her leg is horizontal, feels anticlimactic.

3. A minor thing, I miss this moment in the 1st part. I wonder why it was taken out. Did it impact the coming lift?

2. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

1. I totally agree. I have a feeling they're going to tweak the details of the circ step sequence repeatedly this year, and hopefully they'll find a nice harmony. The tango moment really becomes such a moment of vulnerability when used for ND, and I thought it was really moving.

2. I do love that first version the most (by far) but I think one of the problems is that Meryl's legs don't or can't lock or hyperextend (mine can't, either, so this is no critique on Meryl). So the vertical split, as impacting as it is, highlights a sort of unclean leg line that she probably can't help. The way the lift was modified makes it less obvious. Although I do hope she'll be able to work on the other one and they could revert back to it.

3. I love that moment, as well. I really hope that with the positive reception of this version, but with technical growth still needed, they'll put some of those tiny moments back in. I remember how much I loved this addition the last step sequence in DF. Wish it had been here all season!

I'd almost forgotten how exciting it is to have a program that evolves and changes and improves with each outing. I was watching this video of Meryl and Charlie's first go of POTO and it just made me smile. It was almost nothing compared to what it would become!

3. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I assumed her leg being less vertical was more an error and less of a deliberate change. I would hope she was aiming for vertical it is more impressive.

4. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

It could have been a temporary change if she wasn't feeling prepared for it or something, but I assumed they changed it altogether. She was just sooo far off her previous position, and she repeated that change in the exhibition.

I'd like to be wrong, of course, because the vertical split was much more impressive, even if her leg wasn't totally straight. But I like the lift in either case.

5. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I agree with all of those. :) I also liked the little solo move Charlie used to do in the diagonal step sequence, but as long as they get a higher level without it, I can live without it. ;)

6. missysays

missysays Active Member

Have you guys seen this interview of Davis and White in support of the 2014 Nationals in Boston?

http://www.boston2014.com/featured-skaters/davis-white/

I'm particularly intrigued by this statement by Meryl:

Wonder what they're thinking...:shuffle:

7. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I've been wondering that myself. It's going to be so hard knowing that it's (probably) their final programs.

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Wasn't there an interview with Marina (in Russian) where she implied that she already knew what music both Tessa & Scott and Meryl & Charlie will be using next year?

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

She said - ofcouse i have ideas.

10. DORISPULASKI

Thanks, pani.

11. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

12. DORISPULASKI

2012 Russian FSO Awards (one of a kind teddy bears, dressed as the skaters who won the awards) were announced, awarded by Russian fans:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Chan-an-Award&p=684159&viewfull=1#post684159

Best Dance Program Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
    http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6519/181409796.0/0_8fdb8_c9d601c5_XL.jpg

Russian fans voted for best Foreign dancers, Tessa & Scott, but Meryl & Charlie got best Dance Program overall (foreign or Russian)

I wonder whether they will give Meryl & Charlie their bears at the GPF?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, they will be given teddy bears at GPF. :)

Tessa-Scott won the the prise for the best ice dace team of last season.

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Arent the awards for last season's performances and programs?

15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes for last season. But they gave prises now.
    D-W get the prise like best Foreign dancers and get nested doll in 2008-2009 season (the best team was i think Domnina-Shabalin).

16. lulu

lulu New Member

Congrats to them!

17. DORISPULASKI

Yes, I think that is how it was in 2009.

It was a very nice thing for the Russian fans to do.

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its russшфт-speaking admirers of figure skating. Not just fans of some of the skaters specifically.
    And Jeremy get prise for best program in men singles.

19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Here's what I've heard about the straight-line lift and the new position of Meryl's leg - since they already have another lift with a split (the old DF one), they can't have two lifts with a split position, so they changed it to a layback position. Gotta love the detailed mess that is CoP!

20. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I don't even know what to say to that :lol: Loooord, the CoP.

21. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

So that's why! COP is over-engineered.

Off-topic, but I noticed Charlie didn't twirl Meryl after the FD was over. Better not be because of the haters! Haters gonna hate.

I vote they do something different after the end each time. Keep everyone on their toes. :lol:

22. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Haters will always hate no matter what lol. I agree that they should do something different each time-it keeps it fresh.

Can't wait to see them again at GPF! I know there isn't much time to continue tweaking their dances before then, but I hope they get good, useful feedback and continue to really develop both programs. The growth between SA and NHK, especially in ND, was really something. I'd like to see that continue over the course of the rest of the season.

23. DORISPULASKI

I suspect Charlie didn't twirl Meryl because they might have been warned about continuing to dance after the music stops/time limit or both and getting more penalties.

24. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Why was it called "Free Dance" again? :p

25. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i guess in this CoP era, Free Dance should be renamed--maybe into long dance since the original dance has been renamed as short dance

26. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

So we were discussing exhibition and FD ideas. What about next season's SD? Anything you'd like to see them do with the Finnstep?

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

What other rhythms are allowed to be added to the Finnstep?

28. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

29. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Thanks for the link!

30. Piper

Piper Member