Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I have watched the Eurosports version this morning several times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXLGcVPYVlU

Meryl and Charlie have done it to me again. I really didn't like this program at Skate America and thought they could do better than ND. But they have made a believer out of me. It was amazing at NHK. They are so committed to it and skated beautifully.

2. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I disagree, about the impact of the bells between the third song. I think it adds a dramatic effect to their movement and brings more to the story.

That Score. 'Nuff Said.

3. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I loved the program, not saying it wasn't amazing, simply that I didn't like that bit...obviously someone liked it or they wouldn't have put it there.

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

5. missysays

missysays Active Member

I agree. I like the horizontal line she creates in that first part of the lift sequence with her leg and upper body in more of a mid level arabesque- more indicative of Esmeralda dying? I also liked how he used to push her into the circular sequence and then leaned down to touch the open palm of her hand with his hand. But perhaps they were trying to change it up to get more points? I do like the new moment in the circular step towards the end in front of the judges where they both whip around and Charlie has this great weary arm position raised above his head. Their bodies are perfectly lined up at that point and it is right in time with the music.

Either way I think they still need to work on that step sequence because the callers are still giving it a level 2.

Overall, I think this version of the program is a vast improvement over SA.

I especially like the rendering of the opening sequence right off the top. Before the positions looked a bit awkward and they weren't really sure why they were doing it. But now I can see they're putting a different intention and emphasis on the movement so that it really comes across as a better start for the entire program.

Oh and I was re-watching the SD and I love after they make their bows how they turn directly into an arm and arm hold before they move off to the boards. It's just great- shows this really lovely and gracious sympathy and harmony with each other that I think typifies what I love about their relationship with each other on the ice.

6. Jessiebanana

7. DORISPULASKI

They like almost everybody, which is very nice to hear when you're a fan!

And when they watch a GP with Tessa & Scott in it, they predict they will win Worlds, and now when they watch Meryl & Charlie, they predict they will win Worlds.

but it's very nice to hear, in any case :)

8. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

It's because both of them do such amazing jobs whenever they compete! So the BESP commentators see the dances and are so wowed that they immediately think world champion.

9. DORISPULASKI

Yes, I think that's true. We are so fortunate to have both teams skating at the same time :) :cheer:

10. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Finally got to see both programs (thanks a lot, retail), and what a marked improvement in both!

Giselle: I thought D/W looked much more comfortable here, and other than the extended lift I thought it was a great performance. Can it still get better? Absolutely. I'd still like to see them make more eye contact, and IMO there should be more choreographic touches to detail the story. The YP sequence was better in covering more ice, but they can of course get those levels up by hitting more of the key points.

ND: I love seeing this develop-some of my favorite FDs of theirs have been the ones that have grown throughout the season. DF was special last year, but it never built anyway-it was so perfect right out the gate, and I didn't like that it didn't seem to grow over the course of the season. ND is certainly a work in progress, and it was so much better here than at SA. Again, I think they can add even more choreographic details to show the story of Esmeralda and Quasimodo-there are still some points where they just kind of grab at each other...and D/W are such great skaters, they deserve better choreo than that. I loved the changes to the step sequences, and the addition of the bells. I'd still like to see slightly more transition into some of the lifts and into the step sequences, but I really thought Alex Wong's influence was clearly present. Can they work with him again?

General: There are some places where the leg line and posture can be improved from both Meryl and Charlie, but I still think they've done well in working on those areas. I just want them to never stop getting better :)

GPF is going to be so much fun :EVILLE:

11. ambern024

ambern024 New Member

I am so in love with this FD now! I do miss some of the little things in the SA version....esp. after theyve ended and he picks her up off the ice and carries her. I really think they need to add that back!! I feel like i think this every year lol but i think this program could turn out to be one of their all time bests. Almost makes me sad they didn't save it for next season. I'm just really proud of meryl and charlie. Esp charlie bc he always seemed to me to be the one who had trouble expressing emotion on the ice. :) just so happy and pleased for them!

12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

To all the cotton-headed ninny muggins "out there" who say Meryl & Charlie can't achieve matching leg-lines. :p

13. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

M.O. for Ninny Muggins's = They think if they repeat something enough times, it will be true.
    BTW - love "cotton-headed ninny muggins"

14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I'm honestly a bit surprised Nicky Slater was back to gushing like he did in a few seasons ago! He sort of favored Tessa and Scott over the last couple of seasons. This season he seems genuinely split between the two and enthusiastic about all the programs, which is great to hear. Although they still pay very little attention to Meryl, bless 'em :lol: They're the English commentary I look forward to the most!

15. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

It's funny because a few seasons ago on the BBC commentary all Robin Cousins talked about was how exquisite Meryl was. Now we just need to find one that sees them both ;)

16. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Robin Cousins' crush on Meryl is one of my favorite things.

17. Jessiebanana

I love the way he picks her up at SA, but I also really enjoyed the way he touched her neck and face at the end of this routine. I was subtle, which is huge for Charlie I think, but it was very romantic and I think it's smart to change it up a bit. Keep it fresh, they can save the carry move for Worlds.

18. Jessiebanana

Lol true, they're easily whelmed. The only commentator I enjoy more is Tanith. I WISH she should would work for a country who was more consistent in actually having commentators, like Canada or the UK. Or she should replace Tracy. She's just so informative. She actually helps the watching process for people who aren't watching figure skating for the first time. She also has an opinion without being OTT biased.

I think her and Alex Shibutani could be a dream team someday.

19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Watching the gala.... they're wearing the same costumes from SA. It's just the opening introductions so far. I don't think I'll make it two hours to see them skate. :coffee:

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm guessing SLY. I think I'll hope for a kind soul to post a video tomorrow.

I can't believe how fast the GP went this season. I can't wait for the GPF!!

21. Jessiebanana

I took a nap and I still think I won't...

22. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

As predicted, SLY with encore of last part of Notre Dame.

I hate that the only part I was excited about was the encore but I am sooo tired of SLY.

23. Jessiebanana

Me too, but as much as I'd love to see another ex, I'd rather see them win Worlds with an amazing SD and FD.

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen it in awhile, so it didn't bother me so much. I'm guessing they'll have a new exhibition for Nationals (hopefully).

25. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I definitely agree. They can whip out a fresh one for the Olympics.

26. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I really liked the little changes. But there is still room for additions/deletions/substitutions :). I hope there are a few more sessions with Alex W to make it thoroughly spectacular by World's :shuffle: It reminds me of the Tango and ER FD's in that respect. I think the SD looks great including the costumes. I wish DME was instrumental.
    I find it hilarious how some couch potato critics are such experts in pointing out when athletes and their programs peak. If they only knew, they could make some megabucks with that rare skill :D.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    ~tapdancer~ and (deleted member) like this.
  27. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

I am so impressed with Meryl and Charlie's efforts this season. The free dance was wonderful--what a great performance, and what a great crowd. That was so exciting to watch. I love the changes to the FD from Skate America.

The SD continues to be utterly charming and by far my favorite SD of the season. Clearly that lift needs some attention and they will have to look at their YP levels, but their joyous and whimsical presentation is in a league of their own. Can't wait to see it progress even further.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

So that's their FD -- my first time seeing it, believe it or not. Really, really nice. After all the trash talk I've heard about it, I was half expecting them to go out and spend the entire time stumbling around the ice. :lol:

29. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'm hoping they'll have a new exhibition for Nationals since they'll be doing the Skating and Gymnastics show in December. Usually they have to put together one or two new numbers for that.

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I hope your right TaBfan! I would assume that if they were using the concept of the scrapped Sinatra FD as their exhibition, we would have seen it by now. It will be interesting to see what they choose to skate to for this season.