Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. missysays

missysays Active Member

Thanks, Twilight!

Because the YP has so many steps it's hard for me to know where each step is. So I was watching Usova/Zhulin's instructional video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPWxPeOK_Y.

Are the Steps 32-33 after the choctaw where they turn away from each other and then face each other again? And is 38-40 where they do the wide swinging turns before the following stompy part at the end of the pattern?

2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Exactly right.

I condensed it to this :lol: I need simple.

Section 1-
    Steps 12-13 the woman needs to make a clean left back inside edge to the right forward inside edge. The man needs to make a clean left back inside edge to a right back outside edge (x3).
    Steps 22-24 The closed choctaw part of the steps
    Section 2-
    Steps 32-33- The rocker part of the steps
    Steps 38-40- The swing part of the steps

3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

forvmpd has put up a version of V&M's Yankee Polka with the steps written in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC626upyaBA

Page 13 of the Handbook for Tech Panels

Found on the ISU website, in a pdf file here:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-204786-222009-173276-0-file,00.pdf

says the same thing as the USFS website.

You can work on getting a feel for where the key points come from the V&M clip, because they are labelled.

I am pretty good at calling the Junior's Blues CD, but I have trouble doing the YP.

Charlie hit both of the key points that were his alone this time. Meryl got the first of her alone (which she didn't at SkAm), and missed the second (which she got at Skam)

They missed the first key point of the first sequence at both events, and got the first key point of the second sequence at SkAm, but not at NHK.

So the tech panels said.

4. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Unless I'm reading the protocols wrong, I believe Meryl got both her individual keypoints at Skate America (the 2nd letter for both patterns, no?).

I've found the V/M video with the numbered steps very useful, but I'm unable to call the YP levels correctly either. The camerawork zooming out during the 1st keypoint in D/W's 1st pattern doesn't help. :mad:

ETA: Thank you, missysays, for the costume differences. :) I hope Meryl has a new one for the FD.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

I was just watching their 2011 Worlds FD, and I realized that Meryl has been in some shade of purple or red for five of their seven FDs as seniors. And she was in red for their final FD as juniors. :lol: I like her Esmerelda dress from SA, but would love to maybe see something in a shade of blue.

6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I would like blue, too. Also emerald green would look pretty on her.

7. literaryfreak

My vote is for an emerald green. But wow, she really has had so many red/purple dresses over the years!

I do love the way the skirt of the SA dress moves, how it whips in the wind. It adds to the drama for me.

8. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I think about her costumes (well, everyone's costumes) an embarrassing amount. Because I love costumes.

I love the bodice of her Esmeralda costume a whooole lot. The detail is great, when you can see it. I do long for a bit more texture and color overall, but if she went emerald green I'd be happy. Maybe she thinks it's too literal! :lol:

As for Charlie's, I do wish the shirt was more haggard and in a lighter color.

I doubt the FD costumes will really change but this girl can dream! I do like them for what they are, though. I've always admired their taste. Sometimes I just wish they would push it. There's been so much red/purple/burgundy that you start to wonder if Meryl is superstitious! :lol:

9. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

10. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I said when we saw her FD costume for the first time!

11. Jessiebanana

I'd love to see her in a fuchsia too, at some point.

12. Jessiebanana

OMG What team adds another lift on top of that awesomeness? M/C B*tches :p.

13. ~tapdancer~

That was freakin fantastic. Miles better than SA. Monster score, too, 108. I'm thrilled for them.

14. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

HOLY #$&*$@! that was AWESOME!!!!!

circuscandy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Bells = yes (the first inclusion of the bells with that hold they have on each other? I MUST SEE THAT AGAIN.)

Choreographic changes/lift changes = yes

That was absolutely great. It really pulled me in. I really do think it's a winner of a program.

And I like Charlie's new shirt. Some added interest there.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Wow!! So much improvement in ND!! I love the bells and how on the music they were. :cheer2:

17. ~tapdancer~

The bells were a perfect addition. I can't believe how much improved it is!

18. literaryfreak

LOVE the changes: the bell tones, the quiet moment at the beginning of Danse mon Esmeralda, the choreographic lift at the end (gets across that Meryl is dead while being literally uplifting ;)). And 108, that's more like it!!

The improvement is fantastic. :cheer2:

19. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Meryl and Charlie's work with Alex Wong to tweak both programs WRT balletic movement and working on various nuances within both the SD and the FD seem to have really paid off. Their FD tonight at NHK was absolutely sublime :swoon:.

20. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

21. Jessiebanana

circuscandy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks!! :)

23. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Honestly even better on the second viewing, when I'm no longer nervous for them. The bells are just magnificent. They really unite the music cuts and make the program feel whole instead of segmented. I could gush about that forever and I hope they keep those for the rest of the season. The choreography at the first 'tolling' is just intense. And the lift with the second? PERFECT. And a new lift at the end (with a little POTO flavor mixed in)? Oh yes. This program really shines on their musicality and were they working the connection or what? Charlie was going for all he was worth!

I hope they keep this up--or better it!

24. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

The bells were definitely a good choice - it really helps with all the music cuts. Everything just looked easy today. :) LOVED it!

25. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Is there a way I can actually see their FD??? I still haven't seen it. Missed it live and cannot find any vids of it yet... Save me!!! having seen the score and read the comments I HAVE GOT to see it asap.

26. zebobes

zebobes Active Member

I watched it live too, but I wanted to rewatch it. Lucky for you, I found a low res copy on Daily Motion! Enjoy!

27. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Jessiebanana posted it upthread. The title of the video is incorrect. This is the free dance in HD from Universal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjpxTAvN-6A&feature=youtu.be

28. mia joy

mia joy New Member

zebobes, thanks a million for the link!!!

mollymgr thanks for the info, but the video is geoblocked for me anyway.

Meryl and Charlie!!! How much I've missed the storytelling drama of theirs! It was what made me fall for them in the first place. I really, really love this FD. their connection is so wonderful, I have no idea how people can complain about the lack of it. Crazy people! I love the change in the first lift and i love the bells, however I did love the first version of the last lift, so I'm kinda gonna miss it. Also they got rid of the moment at the beginning of their circular steps I said I loved so much :lol:

Anyways, it was a great performance. I hope Tessa and Scott are ready for a tough battle at the GPF ;)

29. Jessiebanana

I kind of like her less straight position in the first lift better, but it's not that much of a difference, it's still awesome. I do like like them facing each other and how he used to push her into the circular sequence and the jump into the diagonal, but overall I much prefer the changes in the sequences so I'll take the losses.

30. Jessiebanana

Also after watching it a million times, I'm not sure if I like the bells between the third song and Danse mon Esmeralda. I feel like it loses it's impact used a second time and is a little cheesy there.