Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I too love the entrance to the step sequence and Meryl's lovely spiral, it's a lovely drawn out movement. I hope they keep it.

But I too was confused that nothing indicated that Esmeralda's dead. Obviously Meryl's still got to skate :lol:, but I think the ending would be more powerful if they were at least together, rather than separate. To me, the end pose currently looks like Charlie is showing her off, like "ta daaa," with the pointing, which leaves me :huh:.

2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I think Marina takes this uplifting rule too seriously which could be part of the issue as indicated by her refusal to let characters portray death in any way, shape or form. This is definitely not an exhibition program where Meryl could get by with pretending to be dead for most of it. I do agree that it would make more sense if they were together in the ending pose like the book/musical.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I like the ending pose the way they are doing it. I love how Charlie is reaching for her in longing and desire. Not sure if I'm completely sold on Meryl's pose but she does look beautiful doing it.

4. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

So speaking of the uplifting rule and death, there are quite a few deathly or life-altering dance programs this year. We've got zombies, Notre-Dame with Esmeralda's death, a Carmen who dies, a Carmen who destroys Don José, ...Ghost, the contagious insanity of B/S, the Pygmalion theme with W/P... What am I missing?

It's like they thought all of the polkas would be too happy!

5. mollymgr

I don't know why some coaches(based on some interviews) are so worried because according to the rules, the deduction is for "music" not having an uplifting effect (end of Page 25). The uplifting rule does not apply to the short dance. I challenge a team to create a sorry and depressing polka just for fun.
    http://www.usfsa.org/Content/ISUHandbookforRefereesandJudges.pdf

6. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that Marina is the only one worried about it.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

8. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

9. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Well they do the extreme advantage of their performance being an exhibition. Charlie can't really pull around and carry Meryl for 1/3 of their FD. I love the song too much to see it completely left out though.

10. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Maybe if Madi and Zach have the ending of Titanic added to theirs. (I kid, I kid!)

I am so pumped to see the progression of these two programs. Their SD for me is such a joyful masterpiece and if they can being even more nuanced movement, I'd be thrilled. I could eat it up as it is.

11. sequins

sequins New Member

I just wish they'd throw that rule away it obviously does bother some coaches/teams as they always seem to feel the need to defend their programs 'Oh no he doesn't die in this program' or 'Oh no it's a happy ending, she doesn't kill herself'. It's just a bit silly IMO and should be done away with ice dance is artistic and not all art is 'uplifting'. The rule just bugs me.
    :lol:I'd love to see a depressing polka as well.

12. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that Ice Dance is first at NHK! I can just stay up to watch the SD without having to pull any weird getting up at 5am, watching the SD, and then going back for a nap kinds of things.

Turns out that sort of thing was easier in college.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:lol: Love the picture!

15. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

I wonder if we can expect any pics from practice soon?

16. iNap

iNap Active Member

Wish all people happy thanksgiving day in USA. D-W had good seasons before and may they have even better seasons in future :)

17. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Very kind, thank you.

18. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Are there any websites that are streaming NHK live?

19. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

20. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'll be watching on Univ Sports tonight since I can't wait to see their programs again. And I love the Japanese fans, they are so supportive of Meryl and Charlie!

21. literaryfreak

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  22. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

ITA. Loved the first costume. My first thought on seeing the new one is not politically correct so will just sum it up by saying I like the other better.

23. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I love the update for Meryl's costume, it's more sophisticated...if that costume can even be that. I do prefer Charlie's old costume a lot more. I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in motion.

What I will say is that I'm enjoying Charlie actually having costume changes. He's does such a good job presenting Meryl when they skate and he shouldn't be ignored!

24. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i actually like the new one more--goes better with the march and grandiosity of the music, although the duke hides his identity while romancing giselle

25. mollymgr

Definitely like the old one better. Thumbs down on the new costume. Hopefully, it is just for practice :scream:

26. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I prefer the Huntsman costume, too. Hope he's pulling a Meryl and faking us out in practice!

27. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

The previous one was more true to the character but I am in love with this new one. So much interest in the fabric and the detail.

And the tweaks to Meryl's were just what people ordered. A softer apron and different sleeves, so that they look less puffy on her tiny shoulders. I think I liked the previous bodice shape a little bit more but if I had seen this at SA I would have been 100% satisfied.

I still wish she'd do the braids in her hair (she did it for the YP compulsory!) but a MAJOR UPGRADE on the flower clip.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  28. sequins

sequins New Member

Meryl's is lovely. Charlie's not so much:yikes:

29. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

well, isnt the storyline supposedly about giselle anyway? charlie's current costume certainly highlights meryl more. if he looks any more dapper than that, he would take the shine off of meryl

30. literaryfreak

I hope she does braids in her hair too, it's so cute, and that the bun is just for practice. :)