Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sequins

sequins Active Member

I'm a fan of both V/M and D/W(though I admit V/M are #1 for me) and I haven't seen the comments but they both get hated on because they are at the top of their games. I really don't think that I can think of any team/athlete who is at the top of their sport that doesn't have both the devoted fans and the vicious haters. It comes with the territory unfortunately and sometimes I think they don't even dislike the athlete they really just like to tick the fans off more than anything and in today's world it's so easy.

2. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I didn't like this costume either. I thought it used way too much illusion and not enough solid fabric and was overly theatrical. Do we really need to see belly buttons?

3. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Let the haterz hate. I freaking LOVED the little carry move after the program, and my friends and I were going nuts because it surprised us so much. I'm glad they didn't practice that move and kept it under wraps :) Charlie is off the charts this year with the intensity and emotion. Even during practice he is so into it. Of course Meryl has always had beautiful expression! I hope they kick a$$ this year.

It was an awesome dance event all around. I barely recognized A/V because I think they've improved so much. LynnGLogan rocked the house, and I love W/P's program, more than last year's FD, which never thrilled me the way it did other people. And the zombies were so entertaining.

4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

5. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Sounds like you're the type who should hide theirs which would explain your bitterness.

6. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

This post most likely came from someone who isnt allowed to show their belly buttons because society would generally be repulsed...

I think that W&P's costumes were perfectly suited for this dance. I didnt find it tacky or gauche at all. The only time i even noticed the costume's transparency was when they were standing still. Why wouldnt they push the creativity in a costume?

7. mia joy

mia joy New Member

FINALLY I got the chance to watch the FD (only a very low quality youtube vids unfortunately). And I think it has TONS of potetntial. I think it's gonna develop beautifully throughout the season.

First off, it went by like it was a minute, not four. Felt like it didn't even start and it was already finished. I'm blown away by their skating quality. I swear these guys are getting better and better every year, if it's even possible. I LOVE the Danse mon Esmeralda part. So emotional and dramatic. I missed Meryl and Charlie being dramatic. I might not be a particular fan of the music cuts yet, but I might change my mind. I agree with everyone that this one is more like the Tango than Die Fledermaus. The latter was already perfect at SA and didn't really have oportunity to grow. This one still has its weaknesses, but it's going to get more and more perfect everytime. So far so good.

I don't know if it's been discussed here yet, but I just hope these weren't their final costumes. Meryl didn't really look like a gypsy to me. And all black is more of a Scott thing, not Charlie. But then again, I love Charlie in almost everything :p

God, I love their connection and I adore the maturity they've gained. Exactly what I was hoping for a few years back.

It's so good to have them back, I missed them.

8. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

How did Kaitlyn DARE to show her belly button in public!!!!

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:huh:

10. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with a belly button :rolleyes:. I love her costume. Too theatrical...well good thing you weren't an ice dance fan back in the day. Those old school Russian teams were OTT.

Also I'm pretty sure illusion mesh refers to skin tone colors. I don't think blue-grey really qualifies.

11. Judy

Judy New Member

I'm a V/m fan but this seems to unfortunately happen with successful teams in competition against each other. I have never liked it and now just ignore it as it really does detract from the beauty of skating.

12. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I am so into that zombie FD that it's just embarrassing. Those are also my kind of costumes, I cannot lie. If total theatrical makeup and wardrobe was allowed, I fear what Z/G would do. And by fear, I mean... :watch:

13. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Anybody wondering what's up with the level 2 on their circular step in the FD? I'll bet they will be studying that one to see what the problem was. I initially thought they got level 3s on their ss but I checked the protocols again and yeah, saw that level 2. So tons of room for improvement in this FD so honestly that 104 wasn't too bad at all.

14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I had the same thought last night. The judges definitely seem to have liked what they saw. They lost only on their technical score; their program components were .20 higher than last season.

15. missysays

missysays Active Member

Thanks for the photos, TanithandBenFan. Do you or anyone who was there remember what was happening in the interview with Meryl and Charlie that caused Meryl to have such a shocked look on her face? She's so cute. :D

16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Rusty said he'd been talking to fans at the event all week and asking them who they were most looking forward to seeing, and the answer he received the most was Meryl and Charlie. That was Meryl's reaction to it. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

18. Piper

Piper Member

Thank you so much for your reports and photos. :)
    Could you tell what thay were talking about in that interview? The commentator didn't let me hear that.

19. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  20. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Doris, when you mention the circular step sequence from the SD, do you mean hit the key points for a Level 4 or change the choreography?

Thanks for mentioning the lifts too. I was curious if having those lifts one after another was like a punch to the gut in a good way or bad way. :lol:

21. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I really like their SD, it fits them perfectly. The FD is underwhelming. I think they deserve a much better program. But I am sure Meryl and Charlie will take the judges comments and the next outing will address weaknesses and it will improve. I hope that they start with the color of Meryl's dress. It is lovely and a good color for her but too often used. They need a dress that will be instantly identifiable as this season.

22. twizzletoes76

twizzletoes76 Member

I just watched this coverage, so much better than the NBC showing on Sunday. Thanks so much for link!

23. iNap

iNap Active Member

24. DORISPULASKI

I didn't write very clearly. They need to hit the key points for the YP (preferably skating a bit faster there) and earn level 4 in the step (or keep trying to) ;)

25. DORISPULASKI

Thanks for the q&a inap

I thought this was funny :

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:lol: Good to know that Meryl knows her limits.

27. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Charlie White: Finishing someone’s sentences is one thing but having the exact same thought at the same time and having the other person beat you to entire paragraphs of what you were about to say gets really disturbing.

Meryl Davis: They say twins have that

Charlie White: Connection. We’re starting to understand what that is.

Meryl Davis: It’s pretty funny actually.

28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed reading that latest interview. I love how they discussed their mind "connection"...and how they have matured and gained an understanding of what it means to their partnership. That's why their new way of displaying some affection for one another doesn't come across to me as fake to me. I know they aren't in love but that's not the point. This is ice dance, a world of sport mixed with drama and sparkles and costumes, its okay to have a little fantasy thrown in. If by understanding their connection to one another, they feel more comfortable this season showing a bit more dramatic affection, then more power to them. I love how they continue to address ways to improve, to grow, to reach whatever potential they feel they are capable of.

29. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

One of the things I enjoy most about D/W is that Charlie is right--they haven't peaked. They were raw potential/talent/power that is still being honed. Notice how only recently Meryl is achieving better extension and more pointed feet. And that they're only just now tapping into true emotional connection and putting an emphasis on that. They can still stand to work on holding poses and those gentle refinements, as well, and it's something they recognize and strive to change in time for 2014.

So to be a fan of a team that you don't feel has peaked, that actively strives to be better than they are by really and truly addressing their weaknesses (despite how good they are already), is really exciting. I don't worry that they'll just languish, that they've already reached their potential and it's all going to be a downhill fall with injuries and other teams coming up to overtake them. I still feel like I'm watching a young pair of underdogs who have so much left in them to give and are growing and getting better each season.

It's cool, really. And I'm grateful for it!

(Not to mention that they are very sweet, humble people, so it's easy to like and root for them. Both sides of the package!)

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love the pictures that go along with that interview. :)