Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. missysays

missysays New Member

I think I would have enjoyed W/P's FD more if I hadn't seen this SYTYCD dance first (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd5tkT8EVx4). I think Allison Holker (who is a SYTYCD dancer) was highly influenced by Travis Wall's piece. Which makes me view it a bit differently. Though I love Kaitlyn's take on a "marble" costume when she herself probably couldn't be coated in powder like the two dancers were.

2. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I really love the FD already. I am actually glad they are going to take some time to build this program - when DF came out of the gate last year, it was already spot-perfect. There wasn't really anywhere for the program to go from there. This is going to be a lot like the tango program, I can see a lot of tweaking even from now until NHK and then throughout the year. I love the way that they are moving and I can definitely feel the improvement in their connection toward one another. I'm already excited to see it again at NHK!

3. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Back from the arena again. Meryl and Charlie truly stole the show, at least where I was sitting. Everyone was in love with every couple, and with B/S and W/P people were getting more and more excited and emotionally invested, but when Meryl and Charlie had their turn (and got a standing o), I heard someone say that the others were great, but their FD was "electric". It had the tiny spark that the other two didn't quite have (and I really do love B/S and W/P's FDs).

Meryl and Charlie were in character from the moment they came out, to the finish and bows. The amount of stuff they have packed into it really seemed intense, at least when viewed live (I'm gong to watch it again soon). I could tell they were disappointed with the score, but this is a hugely ambitious program in a way that Die Fledermaus (which I love) was not, and I will be really excited to see how it grows. When they have it all together, it will bring down the house come Worlds.

And I love their costumes. The detail and fit on Meryl is great, so I can forgive the similar color scheme to POTO (and tango). It works perfectly. And the subtle wear and tear on Charlie's (rather comfortable-looking) costume is a useful little touch. The way his costume moves adds some abandon to the program. A great little modern twist on the two characters.

(And re: twizzles, I miss their little jump! Charlie seemed to have an easier time with them the last two seasons. I'd like to see it again, unless there is a reason why they're dropping it.)

4. jobelle

jobelle Member

Yes, I was listening to her comments quite closely as well since I assume she has some extra inside info that other commentators don't have. I noticed that she had to check herself at one point she said something along the lines of "when we-they were putting this program/concept together". At least it sounded like that to me. I would love to think that Meryl/Charlie already have an idea of the direction they want to go next year. It would mean that what they are working on this year would build intentionally into their Olympic programs.

I agree! Although there are advantages and disadvantages to both situations. Starting strong and polished as they did with DF gives a strong and lasting positive impression of the program that can carry you far into the season. On the other hand it may begin to feel stale towards the end if it doesn't grow enough. With the tango I think we had the opposite. Not too many people loved it from the start and even though it was tweaked and improved greatly (both technically and artistcally) as the season went on, I think that a lot of people set their opinions early and let that influence their response to the program for the rest of the season.

Glad to hear it! It is always good to hear what the response of the crowd was like. How do you think their speed was for both programs? I know that speed is hard to judge from the screen (and even more so with choppy internet connection).

5. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

6. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

The SD looked very polished to me. Their speed seemed great for this early in the season. I didn't notice any lagging or slow parts, though I was at one end of the ice and maybe someone seated on the other will have spotted something I didn't.

In the FD there were parts that seemed a little slow (for them, I mean). I wish I could remember specifically where in the program, but I think it was near or around a lift or transition, something that will easily be cleaned up in weeks to come. Nothing looked labored and they seemed to really be into the program. It reminded me more of when they debuted the tango, though they certainly had control all the way through. The choreography did not ever seem to get the better of them; I think their minds were really on the emotion/connection in a big way.

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

8. missysays

missysays New Member

Gosh it's great to see Ben Agosto's smiling face again!:D I loved it when he was the one selected to give out the medals. Meryl and Charlie looked so happy.

Also, I see that TanithandBenFan was able to snag a picture of her namesake couple. I was hoping to see a photo of the two of them maybe on Icenetwork's Behind the Scenes but apparently you got there first.

So nice to see them together again too.

9. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

10. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I really loved their SD, especially the polka part at the end. It just built and built towards the end. I like their FD so far as well. It bodes well when I like programs as soon as i see them, and this year I like both programs right away. I didn't like their SD last year so I"m happy to see one I love right away.

11. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Ben Agosto is one handsome man. :)

Also, thanks, circuscandy for your live experience. So glad to know the audience was loving it!

12. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Exhibition is still 'Someone Like You', but Meryl's got a new yellow dress.

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Just back from the exhibition. If you got to your seat early, there was an extra plus for Meryl & Charlie fans. Someone (USFS?) had put together what they called a "director's cut" of Meryl & Charlie's Olympic experience. They showed pretty much all of the SD & FD on the jumbotron with Meryl and Charlie talking about what they were feeling at each point in the 2 programs. Lots of fun and a great memory! I hope it will show up on youtube or IN; I'd like to see it all again.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  14. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

After watching the FD again, one thing I'd like to see is more gypsy flavor- that first music change for the diagonal SS is supposed to be a gypsy piece, IIRC? So I'd just like to see that brought out more.

It's not a perfect FD yet, but I like that. I'm really excited to see it grow throughout the season, I think it has more to develop in it than DF did.

ETA: I'd also like to see the choreography adjusted a bit to include more intimacy-one thing that has always bothered me is that the steps aren't choreographed to really enhance opportunities for Meryl and Charlie to actually, really look at each other. I do like the change of hand holds in the SS, but I feel they should still face each other more.

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Any pre/post program choreography. :watch:

16. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Sources on twitter say Meryl did the Gangnam style dance at some point during the gala. :respec:

Also, thank you circuscandy! I didn't realize Charlie's shirt was slightly beat up - it looked like a normal black sweater on the video. This is why live reports are so helpful!

17. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I can't say YES SHE DID emphatically enough. When they were introducing the champions with Gangnam Style playing. She and Charlie were in the stands near me and I wish I had been better prepared to capture it on film. It is destined for gifdom. Girl got down while Charlie stood by, looking scholarly in his glasses.

I LOVED this. I was so not expecting it. I also hope it shows up online. Meryl and Charlie remarking on the 'twinkle in the eye' commentary was adorable.

18. DORISPULASKI

I just read the FD thread. Ouch they were brutal.

It's a good thing the audience in the arena liked the program.

19. Jessiebanana

Yeah I can't read forums like that. It's one thing to simply not like something because it doesn't suit your tastes...and it's another to just be vicious. Some people get off on negativity and mocking. I just don't get it. It's like, I'm sorry are you a World class skater putting all your time, money, effort, and hopes into making a program? Yeah, I didn't think so.

20. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Hmm...maybe it's a good thing I don't have access to the competition threads...

21. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I'm doing my best to avoid looking. I got my hatin' and debatin' jollies out when I was younger and battling with people on the internet doesn't appeal much to me anymore. Teams in the spotlight will always garner more vitriol and criticism than anyone else, of course, and I just accept it and move on. As long as the judges aren't hating, I can't bring myself to care about other people's dislike. I don't think D/W could do anything now and not face some sort of resistance from someone.

But suffice it to say that the audience did love the FD. I swear it. There was gushing all around me, and from people who were and were not obvious skating fans and would not necessarily know or care about D/W's reputation and records. I'd say that everyone really loved the dance portion as a whole, even the lower ranking teams.

22. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

23. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

24. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

I love the program and like others here, can't wait to see it grow and develop over the season. After watching I was excited to read the play by play thread and share the joy. Uh oh, big mistake. My mamma always told me that some people put other people down when they're insecure and want to make themselves look good. That saying tweaked a little works for skating fans. Enough of that subject.

Happy the new programs are out there and I like how they stay in character before and after the skate too. :cheer2:

25. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I find it more and more difficult being a fan of both Davis&White and Virtue&Moir.
    I dont know who it benefits such hateful and downgrading comments.
    I asume that two teams are colleagues and have civil relationship. They even seem to be friends. I don't understand why their fans are so mean to the opposite team.

Now it is said that Meryl and Charlie are copying Tessa and Scott by trying to relate to each other more. Something that they claim T&S are natural at and M&C are copying and faking.

It is probably better I dont have access to K&C. What I read on GoldenSkate is more than enough.

26. DORISPULASKI

kosjenka, I know what you mean. I have to keep peace between my husband, who is a Giants fan and my son who is a Patriots fan...but with them, it's just teasing when the other's team loses.

The people around me at the arena really loved both of Davis & White's program. I loved Giselle to bits at first sight, and think all that needs to be changed there is for Meryl & Charlie to get all the key points on the first YP sequence and the circular step. ;) Notre Dame has a bangup ending with those lifts there on high points in the music, and that's what got the crowd on their feet. The way the lifts come in is very emotional, and just hits you. The beginning is pretty good too, with bang, bang, spin & twizzles, but if the way the twizzles come in is difficult for Charlie, perhaps rethinking it would be good? The middle maybe needs a little work. By putting the highlight lifts at the end and the spins & twizzles (which are highlights too) at the immediate beginning, you can end up with a lack of highlight in the middle-two much footwork all in a row. BTW, for those who hate it, I didn't notice a Charlie cartwheel jump or Arabian or whatever it is this year, Did I miss it?

Absolutely true that the audience loved all the dancers, particularly Meryl & Charlie, Lynn & Logan, Alessandrini & Vaturi, and Zhiganshina & Gaszi, but really all the dancers. People were asking what W&P and B&S's programs were about, but they liked them. As to Z&S, most got right away that they were zombies, and I have been informed that among the young set, zombies are Hot. The only negative comment I heard was about Kaitlyn's costume, which when someone explained she was a statue, they understood completely the point of the costume.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Thanks for the explanation, Doris.

arakwafan2006 asked in GSD yesterday (before the thread was moved to Kiss and Cry) why Davis & White "only got 5.92 on the first portion of the Yankee Polka" and I'm re-posting your reply here in this thread:

28. Jessiebanana

Wow...so they're lacking if they don't bring the connection, but they're copycats if they do? Does that mean any other team that aspires to have the speed and awesome-ness of Davis/White's lifts are copies. I mean I think Virtue/Moir's lifts have gotten so much more challenging then they were...of course I thought that was, I don't know, rising to the occasion. What is wrong with people? Damned if you do and damned if you don't with no room allowed for improvement. I have teams I don't like, but I don't spend all day thinking about why I don't like them. It's weird. Okay, I just need to stop thinking about it.

~tapdancer~ and (deleted member) like this.
  29. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Not worrying about any of the snark and the hating and especially the ridiculous notion that they are copying VM who certainly don't have exclusive rights to emotional connection. Keep up the good work, Meryl and Charlie, the audiences, the judges, and a lot of fans love it!

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, lurker, first time poster. I am a D/W uber so I have to really work hard at blocking out all the negativity that this team receives when they skate. I've seen the stuff at goldenskate, I can only imagine what's being said in the competition threads here. I don't know what it is abot this team that causes such vitrol and at times, downright hatred. Maybe it's because they're the only team who can challenge ice dance's supposed golden couple? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone isn't going to be a fan of everyone's work, but there is no reason to stoop to the level of insults some people do. And I hate to break it to these people, but having a magic connection on the ice isn't new. In my book, K/P will always be tops when it comes to having that natural connection and chemistry on the ice, they were magic.

Now onto the programs. Giselle is totally :swoon: If Meryl wasn't born to play that part, then I don't know who was. As for Notre Dame, I admit that it took me a few viewings to really get into it, but I think that's because DF was such an out of the gate spectacular performance. I do love the program, though, and I can't wait to see it after some mileage is put on it.

One more thing, I really appreciate that D/W are never afraid to admit their weaknesses and aren't afraid to work hard to improve. If they win, they win, if they don't, then they don't, it won't change my opinion of them. I would rather them take risks and challenge themselves then play it safe just for the sake of winning.