Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. missysays

missysays Active Member

That SD was gorgeous! I like Tanith's comment about it being a breath of fresh air. It was so refined, light, infectious, and sophisticated all at once. A little mini-masterpiece as almost all of their SDs tend to be. I like it even more than their DF FD from last year.

Meryl is so lovely and Charlie looks like he's been mainlining ballet classes this summer.

Just fantastic!

2. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I love it, too! So intricate and very much in the ballet style. Lots of toe work, twizzles were great, YP was fast and wonderful. Think they kind of got stuck in their final lift, they got a 1 deduction and I'm pretty sure it was for that. Overall it was incredible, can't wait to see it again! Great score, too..71.39 and that was with a 1 point deduction.

3. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

This SD is crazy intricate. :eek: So many transitions! I'm a little :wuzrobbed that there's no midline no touching step seq, but oh well. I can't wait to see this progress over the season, as everything smooths out - they'll just float across the ice (although much faster than a feather!).

I loved Tanith's commentary. I've been wanting more technical ice dance commentary for years now, finally!! I learned so much, especially listening to her commentary for the lower placed teams. And icenetwork is the perfect avenue for it, since anyone who pays for and watches it is not really a casual fan. :lol:

4. ~tapdancer~

Michigan just won the UofM/Mich State game! :cheer2: I know Charlie is happy! Won the short dance, won the football game!

5. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

6. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

What a happy dance!
    I am so proud of their approach to this ballet.
    I can really feel their connection and I am so glad they are working on it more.
    It is so early and it is already so good!

very excited for free dance!

7. iNap

iNap Active Member

I love this SD they made.

8. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Just got back from the SD. Absolutely ADORABLE. It served the ballet well and still had a very great Meryl and Charlie stamp on it. Lots of intricacy and the crowd (at least around me) loved every minute. I was so happy to see them go full on Giselle with the costumes, I have to say. If she hadn't shown up in the blue, I'd have been all sorts of sad.

And seeing the clear photos of the FD dress, I really have to say that I love the details and the hardware it has going on. If she decides to stick with it, I won't hate it no matter how similar in color it is to other dresses she's recently worn. I like the silhouette, as well. (But I will be interested to see if she has other ones waiting in the wings.)

9. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I can't believe they outdid DF in terms of technical nuance! The precision was mind blowing and they nailed it. I'm glad they did the ballet, but still managed to do YP similar to what they did for CD cause I was in love with that. The YP was made for them.

2nd about Tanith. She gets more confident and better every time out. It's nice to hear critique that isn't that isn't only relevant to casual viewers and she's just nice to listen to.

10. literaryfreak

Thank you for the report! I liked how the audience was clapping leading into the polka, sign of a well-constructed program. Will you be at the FD tomorrow too?

11. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

This SD made me smile. It is soooo adorable. Everything from the concept to their costumes. Absolutely loved it :)

12. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I will be!

The audience really woke up when dance began. They were a little lethargic during ladies, but by the time Meryl and Charlie took the ice everyone seemed to be ready to polka out of their seats (in a good way). It was fabulous. Nearly a total standing O for them.

There was yet another near-collision with B/S during warm-up. This time with W&P. What is their tally now? ahahah bless 'em.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reports circuscandy!

14. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Want to see, now!! :D

15. ~tapdancer~

So obvious to me how hard they have been working this summer. I have always had tremendous respect for them and their work ethic. They continue to surprise and delight me. Can't wait for the FD!

16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

17. literaryfreak

I have an extremely rough version of the SD if anyone wants an immediate 2nd viewing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URS4zrGOg1A. It's a crappy copy, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully there will a proper copy uploaded to youtube soon!

ETA: Icenetwork's SD is already up, for those who want a clear version. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  18. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i do have to say that for most of the top teams' SDs, i love how they're doing one theme for the SD and that they're not using the traditionally known polka music

19. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

thank you!! this will do until a better version is released! :)

They are so fast! And the little step sequence they did at 3:12 was so light and fun! I enjoyed it! Can't wait for FD!! :cheer2:

20. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this for us.

I'm curious - who was the other couple where the guy has on a gray shirt and the girl had long blond hair. They seemed to repeatedly get in the way of where D-W wanted to be, even making them abort one move.

21. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

That was Bobrova and Soloviev

22. jobelle

jobelle Member

I love that Meryl and Charlie made the polka the highlight of the dance! Not very many of the other couples do that. They not only build up to it but they built through it! I cannot wait to see how this continues to develop over the season! Well done to them and I really respect their courage at taking on a concept that is such a departure from what they have been like as a team up until this point.

ETA: found a better quality video without commentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9XezUdRAI&feature=youtu.be

23. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

That lift at the end was a hot mess, but I love this SD. The ballet elements are ridiculously charming. I can only imagine the hours of work they put into this program. So happy the judges rewarded them accordingly. Great start to the season!

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

As someone who likes Meryl and Charlie, but is not a real fan, I can say this without remorse. I really, really like the SD - it's light and fun, and intricate, as others have written. But, because it's quite balletic, it also really shows that Meryl is not a ballerina - her leg lines are far from balletic. Also - the costumes are nice, but they are a bit too "Disney" 'Giselle' for my taste. I hope that there will be different costumes for this dance.

As for Meryl's FD dress - I truly like it, but would also love to see a similar dress in a different (not any shade of red/purple) colour. Emerald green, as others have mentioned, would be great.

25. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Love this SD, and can't wait to see it continue to grow through the season! They definitely seem to relate more, but I think they can take it even further- I'd like to see them push that even further. D/W also seem to be skating closer together here, and I'd hazard as to guess that's why they looked a bit slower than normal, as that will be a bit of an adjustment.

I think this will be a strong piece for them, especially by Worlds.

ETA: I do think the leg lines have room to be improved here, but again, it's only the start of the season. They can make it happen, I believe in them.

26. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

My brother was getting married during the SD so I'm not exactly in a skating headspace but I did watch the SD wuickly. I'm going to need to rewatch to see more what I feel about it (which I don't have time for because post wedding brunch in 7 hours) but, from an overall feeling standpoint, this was exactly what I was hpoing we'd get. Charming, energetic, spirited, and adorable. I love the costumes!

Can't wait to see all of Notre Dame tomorrow and on a real computer instead of my phone!

27. Jessiebanana

As a ballet dancer, I love how light Meryl is...she's never had that problem, but I'd like to see more pointed toes and moving their arms across their body (port de bras), even if that means omitting some of the choreo. She has a dancers build and I think they have the skill to make it even more of a Ballet on ice. Overall though I was delighted and impressed. Way to keep moving up!

28. missysays

missysays Active Member

One thing they might need to do even before sharpening arm and toe movements is working on moving the pattern out more so it really reaches from end to end as well as hitting the y/n areas in the polka. That will solidify their point total when they have to compete against V/M.

29. ~tapdancer~

The more I watch the SD the more I love it. I know they will get much more comfortable as the season goes and can give even more expression as well as getting the levels on the YP. Very happy with their first score, though! I'm so impressed at how they have stretched themselves, as Tanith said in the commentary, 5 years ago you wouldn't have thought they could do ballet on the ice (and god knows it's very difficult for ANY team). The one thing that has always impressed me about Meryl and Charlie is how they recognize their weaknesses and strive to improve on them. Long ago I stopped worrying about the negative comments about them on this forum, there are always going to be those who dislike them and will say anything to discredit their accomplishments. As far as ubers go, it accomplishes nothing to hate on a team that threatens your own favorite instead of enjoying the team that you love. I'm glad the posters on this thread don't waste a lot of time putting down other teams. It's not for me to try and convince anyone on which skaters they should like no matter what the reasons. Skating fans are very often subjective about their opinion of skaters, that's for sure. Even the judges with their knowledge of what to judge for are swayed here and there by the intangible qualities, they are human after all. I say all this because I know that this season leading up to Olympic season will be important and I expect the haters and ubers to be in full battle mode which is always hard for me to read. And I am aware of the ignore feature! I'm just going to enjoy Meryl and Charlie as I always do. They continue to exceed my expectations in every way

30. Jessiebanana

I'm not too worried about it or I find it pointless to think about. That's a tech thing and I'm sure they'll get better at it. I also think this is a CD that VM will not have the advantage. I'm thinking about what changes I'd like to see as a viewer for my enjoyment...not that I don't want them to succeed.