Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

who shouted the collision warning?

2. missysays

missysays Active Member

I love, love, love them but I don't love the music or concept of this FD!

I think their movement (even in that broken up practice footage) looks better than it's ever been. Charlie, especially, looks like he's taken some serious dance training over the summer. And he also finally looks unafraid to really hold Meryl in a sustained kind of way- something he's never really done before. Meryl is as gorgeous as ever.

But gosh I wish the growth in movement, the apparent dance training, and the tender intimacy were augmented by a more intriguing piece of music, choreography, and overall concept.

Notre Dame de Blah!

(I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion here but I can't help how I feel.)

3. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Well, while I love this music and it's sort of a fantasy come true for me, I can see where you're coming from. For a moment I was wondering why they didn't wait to use this for an Olympic year, you can pretty much guarantee it will be a hit, until I thought about it. It's a similar concept to POTO, especially once abstracted to dance, and I can see how it would be considered a POTO part two, which I don't think would work in their favor. For a lot of us it's sort of like watching what they've done before...except better. Bringing what was missing to the game and I think by working within their element and proving they can bring that connection and polish to their skating they'll have less to prove next year if they wanted to do something different. Something judges and critics wouldn't normally think they're capable of. While I hate it, skating is the most biased sport and opinion is 9/10 of the law :/.

4. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Holy s***, Charlie wasn't kidding about emotion. The bladework is more intricate than I expected - Charlie looks like he is giving it his all and might fly off his blades...and this is only practice!

I hope that moving the diagonal earlier in the program will help with achieving a Level 4 more often.

Meryl's costume is beautiful as always, but I would not mind if it was a fake out. :p I'm thinking how Meryl's S&D dress truly added to that program. The simplicity of these current costumes does makes it feel like a modern take on Notre Dame, however.

5. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

It's okay, missysays, we all have our own opinions. I'm glad you see the improvement in their connection, especially for Charlie. I've always thought Meryl had beautiful expression and now Charlie's finally relating to her in a way that seems mature and responsive. Kudos to him for making the change.

I also really love their movement and they seem to be skating closer than they ever have.

6. Jessiebanana

Also totally frivolous observation, but did anyone else notice Charlie's hair? It's longer than it normally is at the start of the season. I wonder if he intends for it to be longer at Worlds. Maybe he didn't want Peizerat's mane to outshine his :p.

7. ~tapdancer~

I can't help but :rofl: thinking about Charlie's hair being as long as Gwendal's! But I figure if he didn't grow it that long for Samson, he won't here! :p

ETA: I like your comment about the diagonal, literaryfreak. I agree that it may be stronger having it in the front of the program. It's a great step sequence from what I've seen and I also like where the circular step is in the music.

8. literaryfreak

I keep thinking how ironic it would be if Charlie were to shear off his curls the year he fulfills the Gwendal cries of old.

I'll have to wait until the FD to know for sure, but the circular step sequence looks like it could be a really stirring moment.

9. Piper

Piper Member

10. missysays

missysays Active Member

I think you were able to articulate exactly what I was feeling. And I didn't even like POTO all that much the first time around. The problem for me is that it's not only a little bit of POTO pt 2 but sonically it evokes W/P's FD from last year. Meryl is even wearing a burgundy spaghetti strap dress like Kaitlyn was wearing last year.

That doesn't bode well when you bear even a passing resemblance to a team that was ranked beneath you. As well no matter how well they skated POTO it was still clearly a second tier type of program in terms of concept and level of sophistication, especially when compared with V/M's Mahler FD.

They are so talented and their performance quality has grown in leaps and bounds. They really are such a special unique team I wish they would find unique and special concepts to go along with their talent. I know it's a hard thing to come up with concepts that others haven't skated to before but I think it is possible.

11. literaryfreak

Meryl's costume does remind me of Weaver's. It makes me think of the POTO costume a little bit too - burgundy with a corseted-looking (?) bodice.

ETA: Meryl's hair is a bit POTO-like as well, the way it whips around.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  12. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

The variety in Meryl's costumes has sort of taken a hit over the last three seasons. She wears beautiful things but three purple dresses with a similar silhouette in a row (I initially thought her DF purple dress was her Golden Waltz compulsory dress until I paid closer attention to the color/details), as well as three burgundy/red dresses (POTO/tango/this) in a row do end up running together. Their earliest senior costumes had the most interest when compared with these later costumes.

Again, these costumes are all lovely, but I do get excited to see what the teams will wear and how creative they get, and it's always a slight shame that there isn't more contrast from Meryl between one season and the next. Still, I don't hate it (and I didn't even think of W&P until it was mentioned here).

But I reckon the more important thing is the strength of the actual program and I should be grateful for what it seems we're going to be delivered this year.

13. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

14. Piper

Piper Member

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

16. ~tapdancer~

We will. I think it was the aborted lift in the practice vid from the near collision. Charlie looked like he was going into the spread eagle and Meryl was preparing to be lifted when they had to stop. It looks amazing! I loved all their lifts, especially the first one. Still can't get over how improved Charlie looks...his flow and blade work look wonderful. Maturity and experience bring a whole new dimension to skaters you watch grow from young skaters to older skaters!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  17. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I agree. It looks to me like it will be a combined lift, straightline in that position plus the rotational lift from last season.

18. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

It didn't look that red in person. It was more burgundy than red - very close to the color of the POTO dress.

19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

20. zilam98

charlie does show more subtle movements in this dance which enhance his expression.

21. Jessiebanana

Oh god! It has to be a combo lift, or some really quick footwork, and it's going to be awesome. I'm so excited! I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favorite FD ever! If it was that red it would be nice.

More variety in color would be preferable, to be honest I was so distracted by the quality of movement I didn't actually hone in on her costume. I loved the blue dress last year and would pray every competition that she would wear it for DF. I think an emerald green would work nicely for this dance *but* ironically I sort of love the mood the burgundy sets.

Weird, but I kind of like the exposed tummy thing Charlie has going on...it works. I'm just so proud of him though. The beautiful lines he's getting with his back and following through with his legs is really just...so much more. If they can match their expression to their athleticism, they could be epic. Truly epic. I hope they keep skating until they peak, even if that's post Sochi.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  22. Jessiebanana

I don't know...Charlie is obviously bringing a whole new level of commitment. In my mind that means MORE HAIR!!! :D
    It is a bit scary when you think of how blind they skate sometimes with all that hair in the way.

23. zilam98

i do agree that charlie is showing more extension in this program. i just wish that whoever choregraphed their program would give more space (even in this day and age of CoP) in their programs that would allow d/w to hold their positions just a bit longer, especially their arm and leg positions. it would make them look less frenetic (to which i admit that d/w still do) and more controlled. i know people will hold it as d/w having more abandon, but i believe that that expression of abandon would be magnified by having some control in it.

24. Jessiebanana

That might actually happen zilam98. They often uncomplicate their programs a bit. It was very necessary for their tango...which was still crazy difficult. I reserve judgement until I see the entire program, but I actually thought they had a lot of nice holds and extensions that have been missing from their programs. Control is hard to judge in a run through IMO.

25. jobelle

jobelle Member

Noticed this quote from Meryl yesterday at http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/10/19/2012-hilton-hhonors-skate-america-friday/

I don't think it has been discussed here?

Anyways, I think this quote connects the dots a little bit between their more intimate on-ice look when they aren't actually skating in the practice run-through, and their comments about increased connection that they gave during the teleconference.

It makes sense to me. If one of the focuses of this year's FD is on emotion and connection (with each other and the audience) then it would make sense that they would want to stay in that headspace and continue to create that mood even during the practice run-through. I certainly noticed it and it makes me excited to see what might go into those "blank" spaces in the actual FD.

26. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

27. iNap

iNap Active Member

28. Jessiebanana

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

So worth the wait! Thanks Meryl and Charlie.

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Love the new SD!!