Davis and White #14 - Better Late Than Sinatra

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by literaryfreak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I'm sure V/M's Carmen will be fabulous in its own right, but I couldn't help it. :p

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jobelle

jobelle Member

Not Carmen, Not Sinatra :)

3. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

:cheer: I hope it is true.

4. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I love it! :rofl:
    Not Carmen and better late than Sinatra! Hope the rumor is true, it will be great for them.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Better late than Sinatra is my new favorite phrase.

6. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Perfect one! :lol:

7. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Weren't we just trying NOT to be antagonistic.

Oh, whatever. Onward we go.

8. literaryfreak

"Better late than Sinatra" is amazing. :rofl: I almost added Sinatra in some form to the title but then thought hey, why draw attention all season to the mysterious error.

If true, Notre Dame de Paris as a concept is perfect. It's the successor to Samson & Delilah I've been waiting for.

9. mollymgr

Right now, the only thing we do know is that it is NOT Carmen.

10. ~tapdancer~

Have to give credit where its due...mollymgr said the "better late than Sinatra" in the last thread and I loved it!

And I'm just curious...has any uber war ever truly ended around here even after skaters retired? My feeling is the answer is no. Skating fans are nothing if not passionate.

11. valpadana

valpadana New Member

Desperate...I don't like Notre Dame de Paris...I saw it in Verona some years ago,
    what a bore ! I pray that Meryl and Charlie do a miracle ( if this rumour is right.)

12. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I would have liked 'Better late than Sinatra' more. I think it's bad luck to make fun of rival's programs even before seeing them. And I am not saying this just because I like Tessa an Scott. I thought the same when pani made fun of Meryl and Charlie's (possible) FD. But, oh well.

Oh, by the way - although I understand that many fans want Meryl and Charlie to do something unexpected with 'Notre Dame', I'd really like to see Meryl in a glamorous take on the gypsy girl look :).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  13. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I really wish this title hadn't been chosen. It's like begging for trolls -_-.

I'm happy about Notre Dame. If it's indeed true. Even with the times it's been used before, it seems pretty well spaced out and not done by top teams recently like Ave Maria or Requiem. Since I can't remember the last time anyone skated to it, without googling (and let's face it the person we care most about boring is our self), it's all good to me.

Davis nor White have ever touted originality, but they do say they try to make things their own and not do anything recently done well. Phantom is hardly an unknown or unused piece of music, but they rocked it and set a standard for it. It hadn't been used for a while in dance, omitting juniors and I don't think anyone *felt* like they'd been hearing this music on repeat for a decade. DF obviously used for CD, but we haven't had those for a while and they turned it into a wonderful FD. They have a very classic and dramatic style, so there a very few dream pieces of music for them that would be 100% original. Very similar to Weir in that way.

14. mollymgr

Well, let's look at all the scenarios. We don't know what they are skating to because they haven't said it yet. Marina could give them Carmen too I guess :scream: but it has a 0.0000000000001% chance. The only thing that is certain is that it is not Carmen. I would recommend both teams to defect to Igor ASAP if this was the case. They could go back to Sinatra and then we would have fifty pages to bear through with a title wishing it wouldn't have happened. It was bad luck to be on thread #13. IMO, we are in the clear and ready to speculate again. The trolls will always be there come rain or shine.

15. literaryfreak

People are free to ask the admins to change the thread title if they want, I won't be hurt. I'm in a snarky mood today.

16. ~tapdancer~

I like the title just fine. It's simple and clean. So what if its a little snarky. Let's face it, there are not many fans on here who like V/M and D/W equally and some that don't care for either of them. It is what it is. And there will be discord and tug-of-war right up to Sochi and probably beyond. I will also say that I don't think the D/W vs V/M stuff is as bad as it was in the beginning when there seemed to be more personal attacks on the skaters themselves. At least I hope that's true.

For those of us who have chosen a preference, we are just going to have to do our best to support the team we prefer and try not to resort to ugliness and downright stupidity when it comes to our opposition. D/W and V/M are each other's main rivals and only one can be at the top even if they jockey that position back and forth. That's the reality for now. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that other teams will overtake them, that remains to be seen.

ETA: Honestly, I don't read the V/M thread every day and I don't get their current title. "Love is a rebel bird"? At least that's my French translation. I must have missed something.

17. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

The admins generally won't change it unless the original thread starter asks, fyi.

Just because trolling will happen and the two teams are rivals doesn't mean we can't try to be above it.

18. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I love snark but I vote for changing the thread name. I used to like V/M but their trolls have ruined them for me. Let's be better than them please.

19. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

And on another note. I saw Doris's post about TBD really late last night and obviously my brain was not engaged because I totally went to bed thinking that was their FD music!!!

20. mollymgr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanera_(aria)

21. lauravvv

Actually, there are not that many trolls - just a few of them. Although lately I haven't noticed anyone who could be called a troll - except pani, that is. But, of course, the negative stuff is noticed more and tends to stay in memory for longer. That's why I also vote for changing the thread title. BTW, trolls couldn't make me stop liking Meryl and Charlie. Only bad dances (quite impossible) that I woldn't like (slightly more possible) could do that (that is, make me stop liking them as ice dancers).

22. lauravvv

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Much like the current D/W thread title, it's related to V/M's free dance.

24. ~tapdancer~

Thanks. Guess they are just showing their support for Carmen. Makes sense.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

So, Meryl Davis just tweeted:
    ;)

ETA: Perhaps something from the above could be incorporated into a new thread title?

26. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Sylvia beat me to it! Hahaa :D

27. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Translated in Google :)

28. mollymgr

29. literaryfreak

Looks like the lyrics to Danse mon Esmeralda. Yessssss.

30. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Meryl's ability to be cryptic in the classiest of ways is an astounding talent. Even if we're usually onto her shenanigans.