Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Davis&WhiteFan

Davis&WhiteFan New Member

Here's a song that IMHO would make a beautiful exhibition piece for Meryl and Charlie. A rather morbid title, but such a pretty melody and don't get me started on their harmony!

"If I Die Young" Cover by Michael Henry and Justin Robinett
    http://youtu.be/QQoFLrZ5C3M

2. mia joy

mia joy New Member

OMG Doris, I love this song to pieces! Well, I'm actually a fan of the original, but I have to admit this is an amazing cover, more gentle and romantic and surely more suitable for skating too.

The title might be morbid, but it's actually such a beautiful song. It's all sad and full of hope at the same time, I love the lyrics. It almost makes me at peace with the idea of dying young... if I ever have to.

damn, I hope it didn't sound too melodramatic :p I'd love Meryl and Charlie to skate to it, I'm sure they could make it another masterpiece, just like Adele.

3. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

That song (Mad About You) was part of one of my favorite exhibitions of all time - Silverstein and Pekarek's Sting exhibition. It's not on YouTube but I posted it on my blog awhile back here.

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love that exhibition, i'd forgotten how much Dick Button thought of them. Sigh, what could have been.

I like the ending to Fragile.

6. mollymgr

Thanks for the linkÂ…that was really good. The idea of a medley hadn't even occurred to me. That was quite cleverly done. I know it would probably fall under "oldies" but it would lessen the chances of someone else skating to it. (e.g. Adele or Rhythm of Love) :D

7. TanithandBenFan

I loved the version of Fragile they used, too. It was from the Living Seas (the IMAX movie) soundtrack. I wouldn't mind seeing an exhibition using just that piece.

8. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for that link. Haven't heard these guys but they are amazing, love their harmony.

Meryl and Charlie simply need to skate to Sting. Or Tori Amos. Something to bring out that inner passion that we saw in Eleanor Rigby. They are so much more mature in their skating now and have improved so much since ER...I shiver just thinking about seeing them skating ER now.

9. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Love that song Davis&WhiteFan! I do actually like that cover better than the original. And that never happens for me lol.

ITA that Meryl and Charlie need to skate to sting. And I was actually just listening to Tori Amos on my way home from work! (thank you MK for introducing me to the awesome song Winter)

I wonder if they've ever thought of skating to Santana? I was trying to think if Santana has ever been used in the skating world before, and I could only think of one example off the top of my head (it's still a great one!)

Jeremy Abbott: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkS69HHQDgA I LOVE this program, still one of my favorites from him.

But does anyone think that 'Samba Pa Ti' would suit Meryl and Charlie? There's just such a :cool: , almost sensual quality to it, IMO. It'd be awesome to see what they could do with something like this. ETA: Sorry, having trouble adding the link!

10. lmarie086

11. TanithandBenFan

Brooke and Ben did a Santana SP in 09-10. Amanda and Mark did Black Magic Woman for their SP a few years ago. And there were a bunch of 0ye Como Va's in the 06 Latin OD year. I remember singing that song all through St. Louis Nats, lol.

12. lmarie086

What? Brooke and Ben did Santana?? How do I not remember this! Well...off to youtube I go!

13. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about this program. Thanks for the link T&BFan. The end of Silverstein & Pekarek is something I think I will never get over. Their potential was unbelievable. It hurts to think of what might have been. :(

14. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I remember being totally distraught over their breakup, too. I think I watched "Great Expectations" over and over and kept thinking how really great they could have been. If only...

Fortunately Meryl and Charlie have far exceeded all my expectations for US ice dance and any disappointment from the past have long since disappeared for me. They were so worth waiting for!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Wonderful tribute from Jean-Christophe Berlot on Icenetwork.com:

Best single performance [of 2011-2012 season]: Davis and White's free dance in Nice. When some tumble on twizzles, they accelerate. Their feet are the fastest of all; their moves are the most precise of the field. Their free dance was a monument, and the audience's vibrant concentration throughout even dramatized it. They will not be in the gold medal book this year, but they will remain as the emeritus 2012 world champions forever. If the best performance is the one one remembers because one could not even breathe and felt one's heart go "bang bang," then it is theirs. :saint:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

:swoon: That is just lovely.

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

What a huge compliment by Berlot! :cheer2:

18. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I think their performance at Nice is my favorite of this season, because of what Berlot mentioned, the audience's involvement. The audience in Japan was absolutely fantastic as well but the roar of the crowd and D/W's sheer energy in response in the British Eurosport broadcast of D/W's Worlds FD makes it electrifying for me.

I also loved Team USA's exhibition at WTT, with the scarves. I was :eek: at the speed Charlie has when he's leading the rest of them - he's skating in a much wider arc than the others yet he manages to effortlessly catch up to Meryl in one or simple two strokes. It was something I had not realized until I saw D/W live for the first time, that easy power. I loved that they did pair spirals too, just wish the camera had zoomed in on them.

I have wondered for a while what D/W would look like skating to Turandot. If it had a stronger dance beat, I would not be surprised to see it as their Olympic program. :lol:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. aftershocks

For those who haven't seen it, on the Icenetwork.com video page, there is a link to the Ice Desk interview at 2012 Nats with Meryl & Charlie, and with Ashley Wagner. Johnny and Peter C doing the interviewing/ suggestive by-play :eek: Wow, kinda embarrassing, mostly for Peter! As ever, classy Meryl & Charlie, and classy Ashley (all 3 were probably wondering, WTF Peter???). Johnny was cool, funny, and fierce -- he held his own against Peter's not so humorous mock aggressiveness.

:) at Johnny asking Meryl & Charlie to bring back their Bollywood program. :cheer:

20. neptune

neptune New Member

I went and watched the interview. If Peter wanted to act that way when the cameras were off, no big deal--but it was somewhat unprofessional to do so in a videotaped interview. That goes for Johnny too, but he's a lot younger so I'd expect less from him. Meryl & Charlie and Ashley both gave good interviews. I'm definitely glad I don't have to be subjected to such interviews. ;)

21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

From the IN article, of the 3 correspondents, 2 picked Meryl & Charlie's FD. Berliot above, and:

and the third correspondent:

22. mollymgr

The only performance of DF for 2012, which wasn't quite up there was the one at 4CC. I thought the Nice one and the one at Japan were almost the same. I liked the Japan one better partly because of the crowd. The venue in Japan seemed charged with some special DF force which made it seem like D/W were channeling it in their performance :lol: I'm so curious to see what the ex. version is going to look like if they do indeed go that route.

23. missysays

missysays New Member

FYI- for those who had been crying out for D/W to do a number by Florence and the Machine, it looks like W/P have beat them to the bunch with this exhibition number for SOI. It looks great on them-perfect driving music for skating. The choreography also really use the accents in the music really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsslfmlTQvI

24. aftershocks

Yes, but I think the behavior was mostly generated by Peter. And definitely, as Johnny relates in his book, he's not going to back down from any kind of teasing, especially not from an uncomfortable heterosexual male. (As JWe also once said, he's dealt with a lot worse teasing/ bullying in locker rooms). Maybe Peter is just nervous that Johnny could take his job. ;) JWe's certainly a more talented fs commentator than Peter, IMO. In any case, Johnny is planning a skating comeback for now, so Peter could have acted a lot less threatened, or maybe he just couldn't help himself when sitting that close to the diva-licious and charismatic Johnny Weir! :D

I do love that Johnny kept his composure, altho' he seemed to be blushing a few times and staring Peter down (w/ a modified Fusar-Poli death glare). Again, Ashley, Meryl & Charlie were all so sweet and classy, trying to help keep the interviews on track. I suppose that by now, most U.S. figure skaters are used to dealing with Peter's clueless antics. :rolleyes: I wonder what the figure skating fans standing around watching (in the hallway at the U.S. Nats event) were thinking?

25. aftershocks

ITA! Thanks for posting. I can see this music working really well for Meryl & Charlie too! :swoon:

Boy, W&P are so watchable. I missed seeing them at WTT. I'm not sorry to say I wish V/M would retire and make way for the next great Canadian ice dancing team. Yes, W&P are a hot team! Even so, Meryl & Charlie are still tops in my eyes and in my heart.

26. mollymgr

Of all the interviews I've seen from Peter, my expectations are not very high. Most of them are awkward or tend to go that way at some point. It seemed like the focus was more on the interviewers than the interviewees :lol:. I wonder what was going through their minds with the crazy stuff :eek: coming out of those two.
    I do like the fact that Johnny loves watching their OD :)

27. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

28. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

29. aftershocks

D/W could definitely do justice to that song/ music. I love the lyrics. :)

30. neptune

neptune New Member

I would agree with that. If Peter had "behaved," I believe Johnny would have too.

I don't know if "uncomfortable" is the right description there. I just think Peter gets too worked up and intense sometimes (as many of us do)--and kinda lets it all hang out. Well, his stomach certainly was. :lol:

There you go. :)

Peter is certainly good at covering pairs nowadays. I haven't really heard any of Johnny's commentating.

:cool:

Good question. Peter's boss or whoever needs to take him aside and address this issue, I think. Something like: "Peter, we love your enthusiasm, but when you're on camera, you need to ratchet it down a notch. After all, this ain't your living room--or FSU." :D