Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Apr 11, 2012.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Absolutely.

And they are improving every year, too.

2. MarieJessup

MarieJessup New Member

I saw this video of an early practice of Polovetsian Dance and was impressed with how much Meryl and Charlie have matured in so few years, although I thought they were pretty amazing even then.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cniIXcGD-nc

3. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

New footage, awesome! This is such a treat, watching them work through new choreography. I adore this FD of theirs - they make such beautiful shapes throughout it (especially the beginning), really draws the audience in. I always look forward to this aspect in their new programs.

It sounds like the music cut was a little different in this video, too, no? That last bit sounds more like the track Domnina/Shabalin used the same year.

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Yay for a new video! The music definitely sounds different than the final cut. I love seeing practice videos. I'd buy a DVD of D/W practices. :lol:

5. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Hey MarieJessup, welcome! Thanks for the link, that was awesome to see. And yes, literaryfreak, that final music cut? They definitely didn't use it, thank goodness. :lol:
    Oh, and TABfan, yeah, I'd totally buy a DVD of D/W practices, too!

6. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

It's not about opinions if you read the discussions. :p Of course, we all know it is but the way people talked in that thread it sounded like they weren't voting according to their personal opinion.

Personally, I think someone who wins the US's first ice dance title and has D/W's track record is a much stronger link than a Russian team who dominated in an era when being Russian was a deadlock on the medals/gold in ice dance.
    But that, too, is just my opinion ;)

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

B-K were out early, but they were first ever North American ice dance World champions during russian style domination era. When D-W won there title (and will win much more) during North American team domination in ice dance.

8. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

B/K won under the 6.0 system when Worlds was in DC and L/A had a really bad FD and the dominant teams (AP, F-P/M) had retired the year before. As far as I remember, it didn't come as a surprise that B/K won that year.
    Yet, D/W had some tough competition with V/M despite her injury. Didn't they win the SD at Worlds that year?
    Apart from that, I mentioned US and not North American; I cannot recall any Canadian teams coming close to win a title after or before B/K before V/M took over whereas there were a few top US teams.

And I think that as many faults as the current judging system has, it's fairer than the previous one. I truly doubt it would be a North American dominated era if it were still the 6.0 system and I doubt V/M and D/W would have won the medals they have already won. They would have had to wait their turn, climb the ranks and wait for the skaters in front of them to retire. If you look at the results from the 6.0 system you'll see that a young team overtaking a veteran team in the top 5 rarely happened.
    So, I think that D/W and V/M actually have to be the best skaters of the era in order to be the dominant skaters whereas I think that it was just Navka/Kostomarov's turn to be at the top.

And in general, I don't think one can compare dominance under the 6.0 system to dominance under the current judging system because, as I said, under the 6.0 system it was more a wait-your-turn system and much easier to fix results. Also, the skating skills required were entirely different and it was much harder to compare the programs so it was a lot more subjective. Which I guess is why the system was so vulnerable.

In other words, I don't think it can be decided by a teams dominance whether they're the weakest link or not because of the different circumstances skaters skate under.

Again, this is how I see it :)

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Before they won gold, B-K fight so many years for the podium. Nobody want to see North Americans at the podium in that time. B-K made the way much easy for B-A. V-M and D-W didnt had such difficulties. IMHO.

10. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I really don't see a point of that poll other than entertainment value in voting for your personal preference(indirectly). It is like asking if apples are the weakest link among oranges and other fruit.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. MarieJessup

MarieJessup New Member

Thanks for the welcome, ~Tapdancer~. I'm new to posting here, but I've enjoyed reading other's comments for quite a while. I love Meryl and Charlie and only first noticed them when they did the Eleanor Rigby program. I regularly check for new videos on YouTube, usually Grace beats me to it. She is so on top of what's new. So, I was surprised when I came across the practice video that looks like it had only been recently posted.

12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

*cough* Tracey Wilson/Rob McCall.. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon.. *cough*

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. literaryfreak

Has anyone read this icenetwork article, about Capellini/Lanotte working with Igor? It mentions that Marina Klimova spent a few weeks at Igor's camp.

I'm so jealous, :drama: I've longed for Marina Klimova to work with D/W for years now too. Over the course of the year, something about Meryl has begun to remind me of Marina Klimova, specifically in Die Fledermaus. I cannot put my finger on it.

14. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Wow. Marina Klimova was working a bit with Igor? That sounds very awesome.

I wonder if D/W will move to Igor for the Olympic year? I can understand why they didn't commit to him right away, but once he's established, maybe they could go.

15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Yes, that's what I am hoping will happen, too.

16. missysays

missysays Active Member

I know what you mean about Meryl and Marina K reminding you of each other. I've always thought that Meryl and Marina look alike in the face. They both have similarly shaped features-- a long thin nose, slightly up-tilted eyes, and nice cheek bones-- a very gorgeous Russian doll kind of look.

If Igor secures a good coaching and choreographic counterpart, I really hope that Meryl and Charlie have not burned their bridge with him and can move over. (Though while I'm excited about Marina K as a performance coach I don't know that I've been that jazzed about the choreography she's given her son, Anthony. They've been mostly copies of programs she did or T&D did in the past. But he's only on the intermediate level so maybe that's the reason why she's copied other programs instead of coming up with something new.)

I will say that another thing from that article that gave me pause was C/L's SD selection. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers-- what a perfect music choice for a Yankee Polka! Wish Meryl and Charlie could have thought of it first! While C/L will do a good job, Meryl and Charlie would be tailor made for it. Sigh! I hope we get to hear their musical choices soon.

17. mollymgr

18. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Me too!! I'm so jealous (for sake of D/W). Well, maybe there's a shot D/W will move to Igor for the Olympic season? (crossing fingers)

19. literaryfreak

Yay, more videos! The very last lift is different here too, and I prefer what they changed it to.

I hope we get some clues soon, as to what direction D/W may be going in for the next season!

20. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Those are old practice clips from their first senior season.

22. Macassar88

Well it seems like they're going to be doing Polovetsian Dances by Borodin for their FD (what DomShab did in 2007)

23. literaryfreak

I'm not sure if you're joking ;), but these videos are about 6 years old, from their 06-07 FD.

24. Macassar88

Never mind I didn't realize that that's what it was
    I thought the videos were new

25. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

It was also what Meryl and Charlie did in 2007.

Not to stir the pot, but I can't decide if I'm glad we dodged a bullet on Carmen or worried that what D&W have could be even worse. :lol:

26. literaryfreak

This. I am not sure how to feel right now regarding Mama Zoueva and her supervision of music picks. :lol:

27. mollymgr

Even if we find out about M&C's music choices, we won't know if it is USFS approved until Champs Camp is over.

I liked the World's version of Polovtsian Dances the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qunGG8qcdpw

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  28. jobelle

jobelle Member

Unless something leaks, I wouldn't be surprised if they held off announcing their music until after Champs Camp .... given how the last two years they have had to change a program after feedback.

29. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

All I can say is I'm glad D/W weren't the ones to get Carmen. It just seems like the one warhorse that wouldn't work for them.

And I agree we will probably have to wait until Champs Camp or after to know the music. Maybe for the Shibs, too.

30. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

You'd think I would be used to waiting by now, but nope. It almost seems that I get more and more impatient each year. Hope we hear something soon!

Slightly off topic, I'm really looking forward to what Hubbell/Donohue do this season. I really like them.