Davis and White-#10

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Jan 30, 2011.

1. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Yeah, didn't they already show the silver medalist in mens? And now they're showing third place pairs. I'm watching all of it to be on the safe side.

2. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

:swoon: That was so cute! It's nice to see something light-hearted from them.

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at the Truth Booth interview. Love the new exhibition! Its very cute and something different from them.

4. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

It was such fun watching the exhibition on tv and remembering how awesome it was to see it live! Hope you guys enjoyed M&C's new exhibition...I adored it the first time around and loved it here, too. I so enjoy seeing them do light-hearted and fun, and Charlie in those glasses was great. Meryl's dress was beautiful. LOVED their truth booth segment...Meryl's "guess we won't go with that"...talking about Charlie announcing their retirement in the intro (he thought it would be funny). Meryl said "we are NOT retiring"! Yay!

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

How could I not love that Ryan Bradley winning was Meryl's favorite thing, other than their win? :swoon:

The exhibition was great too.

6. literaryfreak

I recorded my tv screen using my camera, so here's a very low-tech copy of their exhibition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b894_oD3BEg. I apologize for adjusting the sound a few times, I wasn't sure if it would come out too loud or too soft enough.

I thought I saw a part from Beyond the Sea (the midline?) and even parts of Kalinka in here. I'll have to watch it again, then. :) I thought it was such a cute little exhibition, a nice step into funny fare for them. Is the top of Meryl's dress the same one from the showcase TheatreGirl went to months ago?

Also, I love how they run out of the Truth Booth at the end. I remember last year they just looked at each with an "OMG this is so awkward" grin.

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Who else prefers the design of the earlier tango dress (GPF) to the one Meryl wore for Nationals (AKA the tango OD dress 06-07)? I love the simplicity and sexiness of the spaghetti-strap one. If they wanted more color then they should make the same design in a more intense (blood red?) color. The other dress is a bit too prom-ish for my taste. Although of course the gal looks beautiful in just about anything.

8. literaryfreak

I love the tango OD dress but it doesn't make any sense for this program. The GPF one makes much more sense with what they're trying to show, I really hope she goes back to it. The GPF dress is not as dark in real life as it seems on video too - the black sparkles hide the dark, rich burgundy color when seen at a distance on tv. The sparkles also disappear on camera. I am now a fan of the dress after seeing it in real life. :lol: I like the idea of making it in a more intense color if needed. If there were any other criticism I had with it, it's that I miss seeing Meryl in a skirt with movement, but maybe they could alter the GPF dress just a tad to create that illusion. Not too big of a skirt, because I think they were going for slinkiness here.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches made her wear the old costume, I can't see Meryl wanting to wear an old one. This is totally fangirly (and I apologize), but Meryl is absolutely STUNNING in person. I always thought she was super pretty, but she's even more so in real life. It needs to be said. Especially in the FD costumes, I kept trying to not stare but she is just drop dead gorgeous with the make-up and hair and everything. I could hear someone behind me at one point comment that Meryl looked like a Disney princess and I laughed. Oh, yet another person.

Oh and I think they should let Charlie try out the burgundy shirt at 4CCs.

9. literaryfreak

High quality version of their exhibition posted by someone else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcqP6O33-8

My low-tech copy of the interview with Andrea Joyce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyEcxSY2JY. I missed the first few seconds. I think Andrea asked how they felt about their 3rd win.

Watching the exhibition again, I get that it's supposed to be a nerd in love with a girl, but I think it'd be even funnier and cuter if Meryl wore the nerd glasses too. Nerd love is the best kind :p. She'd have to take them off for the lifts though, it doesn't seem safe to wear glasses with all the flipping.

10. ~tapdancer~

I have to second literaryfreak's observation on the Tango dress for Meryl. The spagetti strap one is gorgeous on her and the sparkles and color are much prettier when you see it in person. The television just doesn't do it justice. I'm not sure what could be done to it to improve but it really is a beautiful dress. I also agree that Meryl is drop dead gorgeous in person. Her face is flawless and she looks beautiful, I stood next to her in line at one of the food places at the Sheraton (also Madison Chock was with her) and I was also trying not to stare. They both are beautiful young women.

And it's true that ice dancers (and pretty much most all the girl skaters) never go anywhere without their makeup!

11. Theatregirl1122

I don't think so. The top of the one she wore in Canton was stoned differently and I think the straps were wider. Also it was a halter which I don't think the exhibition one was. I might be wrong but the Canton dress didn't look like it was made in such a way that it would be easy to remove the skirt. But you're right, they were a very similar style.

(I'm a costume designer's daughter. It's one of the many reasons why I'm weird.)

12. ~tapdancer~

Was watching the exhibition again and I laughed at Scott's comment at the end, that Charlie was "so approachable" and Meryl, "if she were anymore beautiful she wouldn't look real". Maybe that's why we think she's really a Disney princess? :lol:

13. hitchem

hitchem New Member

[Deleted by poster]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  14. Theatregirl1122

Frankly I really don't think Meryl's weight is an appropriate topic. (and it's an awfully weird topic for your first post.) Meryl has plenty of people who actually know her and if there is anything to worry about, they will worry about her. It is none of our business. And I say about anyone.

geod2 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. hitchem

hitchem New Member

[Deleted by poster]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  16. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that they were actually able to come up with this exhibition program considering their other programs have needed so much work over the season. I loved it! It looks like they were having fun too. :)

17. figure85

figure85 New Member

Did anyone else catch Sandra Bezic describe them as having earthy sensuality? That made me smile.

18. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of Shpilband's girls look like this. I don't think it's inappropriate to point out.

19. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I don't think Maryl looks any thinner. She does look a bit more muscular, though. Her abs esp. look killer.

20. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Not to mention her arm muscles :lol:

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was going to mention her arms. :)

22. ~tapdancer~

I don't know Meryl personally, but I met her. She's beautiful (and fit) and to quote Scott Hamilton again, if she were anymore beautiful she wouldn't look real.

23. missysays

missysays New Member

I know that we're not done with this season yet but I just saw that Chrysler superbowl commercial that Charlie tweeted about with Eminem.

If he's that inspired about something "Made in Detroit." I think they should skate to some music from the Motor City. I always used to think it would be fun if they skated to some Motown- maybe for an exhibition. But now I wonder if a really cool edgy Eminem number would be something interesting and different for them. Don't know if the rules would allow them to do a FD to it. But they should definitely try that style for an exhibition.

That song that plays in the ad is Eminem's "Lose yourself."

Hmmmm. :cool:

24. Theatregirl1122

I... really don't agree with you on this. Eminem on ice sounds kind of awful.

25. missysays

missysays New Member

Really? Why not? That version of the song- with instrumentals and a choir vocalizing was really powerful. If there's not an instrumental version of that song that's available then it would be hard to cut together a piece that would work but the music itself is really focused and modern sounding. A style that I think would work for them. It would be difficult to edit together a decent cut with just Eminem's vocals but I think the modern concept is something they should think about.

Though they're pretty conservative in musical tastes (POTO, tango...) so I don't see this actually happening- just something I would suggest if I could put a creative bug in their ear.

geod2 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. geod2

geod2 New Member

ITA!!!

I'm not usually inspired by the possibilities of a Super Bowl ad, but this was pretty amazing.
    The trick would be connecting to the spirit of the song, transforming its structure into something more gentle (which the ad already got a good start on) but leave behind any memory of the vulgarity of the lyrics.
    OK, a tall order but it could be done.
    But it would have to be completely re-recorded beginning-to-end in the studio in a form that works...that means $$$.
    The problem IMHO isn't so much the concept, but the budget.
    Only a huge advertising budget like GM's would allow us to have this fantasy in the first place....

27. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

That's b/c ice dance judges tend to be conservative. For a variety of reasons, Eminem music would not work. It's really not skateable.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  28. missysays

missysays New Member

I can see your perspective but I don't know that I agree. I think ice dance judges will reward programs that are well conceived, packaged and skated. Look at K/P's Bach program winning out over D/D's West Side Story and G/P's rock and roll number winning out over T/D's Let's Face the Music and Dance.

I don't know about general Eminem music working- but that particular piece of music is edgy and evocative- actually quite similar in feeling to V/M's Pink Floyd number. I agree with geod2 about a stumbling block being money and the ability to really shape a viable cut of program music out of an instrumental version.

But overall, whether or not an actual Eminem piece would work, I think it would be great if D/W tried a modern, abstract program - especially something that made them feel emotionally invested. It's been awhile since their first try at a modern style program- Eleanor Rigby. I think they'd do a much better job of it now.

29. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

30. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Please no Eminem. :scream: I wish other teams hadn't already discovered Muse because that's the kind of edgy I'd like to see D/W do if they were to go in that direction.