Davis and White-#10

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ~tapdancer~, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I've spent a little time this morning watching the NBC broadcast that my husband so kindly DVR'd for me while I was at nationals! It's so amazing to watch it and think, I was there! I'm still so excited to have gone, the experience of meeting the skaters, seeing live programs, and meeting my fellow fans is something I will never forget!

I, too, was able to attend the FOFS breakfast (thanks, lovesdance...so much!) and it was special. The skating moms panel was great, two comments that stand out for me was Charlie's mom saying that at some point you step back and let them be adults and make their own decisions and you just always be there for support as it should be. Adam Rippon's mom also said that you don't try to be their friend, you always be their mom...the mom they can go to for support and unconditional love no matter what. Great stuff there!

Thanks again to TaBfan and lovesdance for helping me navigate my first nationals! And literaryfreak, you were a great roomie! It was great meeting you, DebbieS, and I wish I could have personally met all the other FSUers who were there, too! An experience I won't forget...now back to watching on tv and computer! Which is still a good thing...

One more thing...meeting the skating parents that I had the incredible luck to experience...the Whites, the Davis', the Zuerleins, and the Chocks...all so kind and appreciative of our fan support for their kids. They sure made me feel special. Oh, I almost forgot I met Gramps! He was so sweet, handing out little picture cards he made for Emily and Evan. I just wanted to hug everyone!

Trying my hardest now to get back in the real world! Happily I didn't have to work today, one more day to recuperate. :)

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

nuge and (deleted member) like this.
  3. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

4. figure85

figure85 New Member

Nationals was awesome to watch! I am really loving their SD now. Now that they have the steps down I feel like they are starting to show some flare and personality...like at the end of the straightline sequence when Charlie throws Meryl into the air then dips her.

I like the tango more now than I have all season but I want to be blown away at Worlds. When I heard that they were changing the program I wasn't sure what to expect....I don't hate or love the music change. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Now that I think they have finally mastered the super complicated steps to this dance they can focus on the intimacy. To make a tango hot I don't think you can just make tango faces at each other. I think the key to creating intimacy is constant and held eye contact. The audience should feel like you don't even notice that we are there. This is the last area of this dance where they can improve a great deal. I know they can do it becasue I felt it the most when they skated Eleanor Rigsby.

The commentators keep making it seem like they are shoe-ins for worlds but I think it will be a dog fight especially if VM are there. I'm glad they reject the hype and go after their weakest areas. I can't wait!

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Because I have a snow day today, I decided to watch the GPF exhibition on icenetwork (all of it, not just Meryl and Charlie). I don't think I noticed before how, when Meryl and Charlie take their opening poses for their Indian OD (for the encore) the crowd starts cheering. I thought that was pretty neat. I have a feeling that program will be their signature for a long time.

6. figure85

figure85 New Member

http://www.freep.com/article/201101...-skater-Jeremy-Abbott-won-t-retire-after-loss

DANCE REVIEW: With the Four Continents Championship on the horizon next month in Taipei before worlds at the end of March, Marina Zoueva left Greensboro encouraged about the prospects of the senior ice dance medalists she coaches with Igor Shpilband at the Arctic FSC in Canton.
    She said Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who won their third straight U.S. title, still need to work on improving the "romantic'' quality of their Argentine tango free dance, but added that their performance Saturday night was "perfectly done."

-glad to hear it!

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I just watched the SD press conference. It was so funny, but they all seemed exhausted. I wish the video had started from where they came in, because the description sounded hilarious in the SD thread. :lol:

9. Melissa

Melissa Member

Charlie is so loopy in the press conference. He was clearly lacking sleep.

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

It was kind of :lol: when he just put his head down during the press conference.

11. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

12. TanithandBenFan

Sorry for the double post. I was uploading a vid and it finally finished loading to YouTube - Interview with Igor and Marina. They showed this on the Jumbotron during one of the breaks. They talk about Meryl and Charlie. It's kind of hard to hear and understand Marina especially, but hopefully you can get the gist of what they're saying. :)

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

My hearing is not that good. I couldn't make out much of it in the arena either. It was very frustrating.

What did they say???? :lol:

14. *Kim*

*Kim* New Member

Great pic, thanks for posting :)

Congrats to Meryl and Charlie, I really like their SD now and they are improving their tango, I like their costumes. I prefer Vivid collors on Meryl, like the red thta she was wearing at the nat. Dark collors kind of wash her out...anyway...congrats ;)

Thta pic of the medal ceremony thta Tanith is going to hug charlie, he is making such a funny face haha

15. figure85

figure85 New Member

Is there any video of the press conference? I can't find it.

16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

17. figure85

figure85 New Member

Thanks!

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe it when my phone rang and it was her. :lol:

19. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see their exhibition!! It looks adorable. :)

20. TanithandBenFan

It sounded like Marina said she choreographed some footwork for Charlie back when he was a singles skater and he did well with it or something like that. She was saying something about Meryl being beautiful, but I couldn't really understand that part. :lol: They talked about the Canton teams supporting each other. At the end, the interviewer mentioned an interview done with Meryl and Charlie (they showed this on the Jumbotron earlier that day) where they were asked about their coaches. When they want a break, Charlie said they talk to Marina about her animals (Marina apparently brings her pets to the rink sometimes), and Meryl said they talk to Igor about wakeboarding and his boat. When the interviewer told Igor and Marina about this, Igor laughed and said "they know our weaknesses. They're smart kids."

21. literaryfreak

What an amazing experience going to Nationals was. I'm so happy I got to see and meet so many people: tapdancer, lovesdance, TanithandBenFan, Debbie S, shan, DorisPulaski and others. This whole experience wouldn't have been the same without you all!

I'm going to post more of my thoughts later.

I couldn't believe it when the person sitting next to me said "Hi" at the same time the voice on the phone did. :rofl: What I would give for a picture of that moment where we both turned in our seats to stare at each other with our phones next to our ears!

I can't wait until tomorrow, the exhibition is supposed to be on 2:30-4:30 on NBC. I think someone will post it on youtube, but if not, I will record my tv screen with my camera and post it, in my non-techy ways. :D From TABFan's pictures, you can see they did the the statuesque lift from this year and the back to back lift from POTO. They also did the first lift from POTO - Meryl got stuck in one of the positions for a mite longer than usual, it really makes you appreciate how difficult that lift is! I might be making this all up in my head, but I also remember them matching their actions to the lyrics every so often. For example, I think there was one lyric about "falling," so Charlie does this: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=651137812469&set=a.651137652789.2207580.2811741. :lol: His glasses go on and off at least once too. I didn't realize how much I miss fun, light D/W until seeing this.

ETA: More pictures from the exhibition here: http://gallery.ice-skate.net/photos/2011-nationals/exhibition/meryl-davis-charlie-white/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  22. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I was getting excited to see the EX when I realized: basketball on my NBC. GRRRR. Hopefully it doesn't take long to wind up on youtube.

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

What a great memory that will be. I :lol: even harder now thinking of it!

Thanks for the reminder, I was thinking it was Sunday! :D

So are Meryl and Charlie going to 4CC's? Has anyone heard anything new?

24. Theatregirl1122

Not beyond Charlie listing 4CC as one of their upcoming competitions during the SD press conference at Nationals.

25. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Are Tessa and Scott going too? I find it difficult to believe that both teams will show up. The Canadians have less reason to, because the Americans are already in great competitive shape.

26. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

27. TanithandBenFan

Meryl and Charlie are going to 4CC.

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. :)

29. literaryfreak

The Skating Spectacular is on tv right now, although I'd assume D/W won't be on until later.

30. Theatregirl1122

Yeah, I'm guessing they'll show it near the end. Although they are showing it in basically random order.