Dave Brubeck dies (Take Five)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DarrellH, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

2. znachki

znachki Active Member

Listening to "Time Out" Right now. RIP
  3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Aww, that's sad. And I was just listening to his Christmas album about half an hour ago!

I saw him live at the jazz festival about 10 years ago, and it was one of the best concerts ever.

RIP Dave.
  4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My introduction to jazz at the age of 11. I'm going to fire up Blue Rondo in tribute.
  5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Great musician and all around good guy--RIP
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Another music legend gone.
    Thank you, Mr. Brubeck.

RIP
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

8. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Saw him a few years back when he reunited some of the original bandmates for a concert tour. Just amazing. His sons are no slackers,either. R.I.P., Maestro.
  9. Artemis@BC

^ I heard a vocal version of "Take Five" not that long ago with one of his sons singing. Can't remember much about the lyrics, but they were kind of scat-ish iirc (not as in poo, but as in scat singing, obviously!).
  10. Artemis@BC

I remember that routine! Also Lu Chen's from 97-98, one of the best women's short programs of that decade IMO.
  11. znachki

znachki Active Member

The Pacific Northwest Ballet has a piece called "Take Five, More or Less". It uses Take Five, Blue Rondo and Strange Meadowlark.

Here are a couple of clips of rehearsals (one doesn't have the music), but they don't do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHhjf7bmSMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hr3GXmkQE

The portion of the piece with the drum solo, which is danced by "red", is amazing. The percussive drums, and the timing and punch required by the dancer is breathtaking. I can't wait to get another chance to see it live.
  12. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

Happened to see the news about Brubeck's passing while at work today. Feels as if it's the end of an era somehow. Time Out was one of the first albums my mom ever bought for my sister and me when I was in junior highschool 'way back in 1970 or thereabouts (on vinyl at 33-1/3 rpm). Love "Strange Meadow Lark" about the most of all of his work, though "Take Five" (which was composed by alto sax player the late Paul Desmond) is iconic, of course. (Loved Shiskova & Naumov's SP to that tune!) Also enjoyed his many takes on "St. Louis Blues" over the years. Never got to see or hear him in person, but could always recognize his music no matter where it was played. Have a feeling he and Desmond are jamming up in Heaven right now!

Hope that in the future some skaters explore more of his music beyond merely "Take Five". There's a lot of great stuff of his besides that one song.

RIP, Dave. Thanks for all the terrific, mind-expanding music!