Dancing With The Stars, Week 7

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Oct 31, 2011.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm guessing more like Tristan's fan base saved them. (At this point I'm just in the "Keep JR in at all costs" camp. They are REALLY trying too hard to make it look like Ricki's going to run away with it.)
  2. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I gave all my votes to JR. Now I wish I'd saved a few for David. :( He didn't deserve to leave.
  3. danceronice

What really frosts me is krob and Hope staying over David. Especially Hope--ye gods, people, if I wanted to watch an unhealthy emotional relationship I'd...go watch the Kardashians' show.
  4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

This just seems like a weird season judging wise. Each week I sit and shake my head in amazement and wonder if I'm watching the same dances the judges are watching. How on earth did the clomper get so far???
  5. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Hope got through because the rest are crap too. (Except for JR :) )
  6. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

OMG I was dying in my chair. Serves me right for getting invested.

Nothing against David (who's been growing on me) and I would pick Hope and Rob to go before him, but I'm just soooooo happy Nancy & Tristan were saved. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

After sitting in the dark and cold for 3 days, I have something to cheer about. :)

Yes, Nancy's not a great dancer, but she's not worse than Hope, Rob and David. She has a great partnership with Tristan, and Tristan himself is just wonderful. Week 8 he's still there. I really hope he's going to get hired for another season.

ETA: I don't know who picked Nancy's jive music but that thing was brutal.
  7. danceronice

Whoever thought "Devil Went Down To Georgia" was a good choice for a newbie doing jive was either an idiot or trying to get her eliminated.
  8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I just realized what Hope's dancing reminds me of - remember the scene in the original footloose where Chris Penn is learning to dance and he and Kevin Bacon are walking in the school halls? Chris steps mostly on time, but bends his knees all wrong. Basically, she's the first half of the montage, but especially that part.

I ADORE David. His farewell speech was so classy (and loved the dig at Maks). And he was just so damn likeable. And I also liked how they showed him congratulating everyone in the skybox after everyone's performances.

I still don't get the Rob hate. I think that out of the remaining dancers, he's probably the third best after Ricki and JR. And I also don't get the Ricki hate. Her personality is no more grating than most of the celebrities on the show. Last night I watched just her and didn't focus on Derek and she really is quite good. JR, who I also adore, was quite clunky at times and their tango, aside from the open and close - the actual dance - had nothing to do with the theme. Also, tango to Ghostbusters is no more difficult than tango to the Psycho score.

I really will miss David though.

Also, I don't like Beiber AT ALL, but I do have to say that I didn't mind the performance of the first song - no his vocals weren't perfect, but you have to give him props for actually singing live, and dancing during part of that live singing. Not many do those two things together these days.

Also, surprised to see Sean Stockman from Boyz 2 Men there, since DWTS Monday show is up against his freaking awesome Sing Off.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'll agree with the stubborn, but I thought she looked gorgeous in that dress last night and didn't seem to me like she was fighting it. She also looked beautiful in the paso dress, but her solo dress was much nicer.

In the paso, she could teach Skary Babs a thing or two about death stares.

I admit to not paying the most attention last night, and I missed the push and only saw Maks storm out, and then Derek stepping in immediately.

I don't: I really don't care who the celebrities are. I like watching the process of how they learn to dance.

I'm sorry David is gone. I thought he looked very good last night, and it was very sweet to see him try to pass on what he learned to his teammate. I also didn't have a problem with krob getting the same scores as JR: it's the first time JR looked a bit galumphing to me, as much as I adore his presence.

I loved the dress they made for Ricki's solo, and I loved watching her.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Agree JR didn't do well in the tango; he just looked uncomfortable. But I do think Ghostbusters is a harder song than the Psycho score. At least the Psycho music's tension set the right mood for tango; Ghostbusters is pure cheese and just...no. Oh well, hopefully he'll bounce back next week.
  11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I don't watch this show, so the only way I pay any attention to what goes on is from reading this thread, so your description above has me :rofl: .

I cannot stand Nancy Grace, but I'm glad to see she's outlasted the likes of David Arquette (who's worked my last nerve for over a decade), Chaz (who, bless his heart, just can not dance), Clooney's Ex, the Lakers Dude, and (sadly) Carson, who is cute as can be but cannot dance his way out of a paper bag.

Again, even through my loathing, I'd like to see her outlast the KarTrashian Man-Ho and Hope(less), the former simply because of his FameWhoring Family Franchise, and the latter because she always looks like she'd rather be having a root canal without anesthesia.
  12. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Just wanted to thank everybody here for supporting JR - because on our local news they have dancing experts on the morning after every show and one was talking about how Nancy and Hope are being saved by their fanbase voting in. And they are worried that Ricki and JR, the best dancers, might not make it all the way because they are not out in the public eye every day, like Rob K. (Remember how long Kate stayed on? And all the other times the best dancers got voted off early - or not voted on to stay.) I'm glad there are enough people out there who are voting for the best dancers whether they are actually famous enough or not.
  13. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Watched most of the results last night and have a question. I saw the original show where Max had a go at Len and the whole "this is my show comment. Read how the drama found it's way to the entertainment shows the next day and how Maks wasn't backing down but didn't really continue anything either.

Last night I noticed he said as little as humanly possible and seems to have shut himself off and is just going through the motions to get this over with. Has something else happened?
  14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This is why I watch, also.
    I think that it's difficult to find people who can commit to what the show demands in training/rehearsal/performance time.

Many celebrities have no idea of what's required to do well on the show.
    Aside from the willingness to work hard, they need a fanbase; and "likeability" helps, too.
  15. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Uh, he seems like a really great guy/good dancer, but I haven't voted for him, not even once... :slinkaway
  16. danceronice

Oh, please. There could be NO ONE voting for Ricki (and I suspect her phone-in numbers aren't that great) and she'd make the final. The tongue bath/gross overscoring for Team Paso made that pretty clear. JR's the worry, because there are voters out there who actually take the judges seriously and honestly think that was on a par with k-rob.

Hope and Rob both should have been gone a while ago (I would have kept Carson, David, and probably Chaz over her), Nancy gets the least likely/most improved slot (plus the "insanely popular new pro" boost) and JR FOR THE WIN.

marbi--I would guess Maks is both a bit depressed as I don't think he expected this season to go like that, and I kind of wonder if he got a bit of a "Remember, sunshine, we can replace you" with a nod to Derek, Tristan, and most of all Val--they can go right ahead and put his brother on the show if he doesn't feel like cooperating. Really, though, it hacks me off--even when I know I've danced crap I've never had a pro be anything but positive RIGHT after we've competed. He could have said SOMETHING nice to Hope in that backstage thing, and I hope (but doubt) that it's just editing and he came up with something kind to say. It's just not the right time to be all 'well, THAT was shite'. She's not a pro partner, she's a learner, she's obviously taking body blows to the ego, screaming at the judges is not as helpful as a "You did X well".
  17. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

He's given up on Hope and has decided to do a public sulk ala 15 year old teenage boy instead of working with what he's got and taking responsibility for being a jackass.

There have been a few exceptions where I've been excited to see a certain celebrity announced (Kristi, Evan, Donny) I feel the same way. Doesn't matter who the celebs are--I don't know a lot of them. I like watching the pros teach someone, work with someone who may or may not have any chance and being delightfully surprised when someone gets it and really starts to blossom and gain self confidence.

Which is why Maks's behavior and treatment of Hope is getting on my very last nerve.
  18. danceronice

Pretty much. Yes, she's an athlete, she's probably heard much harsher words, she shouldn't expect the judges to just feed her honey (after all she's not paired with Derek) but she shouldn't have to be sitting there desperately hoping her own teacher will say something nice.
  19. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I don't think Maks has ever been paired with a partner who seemed so miserable. He had partners who weren't great -- Denise Richards and Debi Mazar -- but they were at least enthusiastic and they tried. Hope seems so hopeless and Maks clearly hasn't got a clue how to work with that. He's also getting slammed for his inability to work with Hope's lack of desire, and he really doesn't know how to work with that. I cannot even imagine these two trying to do a freestyle, which means beyond hoping Ricki and JR make the final, I have to hope that either KRob or Nancy joins them. What a crappy season this is.
  20. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Hope is known to cop a major 'tude fairly frequently. I have a feeling she came into this thinking it would be easy compared to World Cup soccer, only to find out she was really out of her element and it's very hard. I don't envy her with Max or Max with her; they are a bad pairing, and let's hope they get put out of their misery next week.

I don't think there is "Ricki hate" on this board; it's just seems like she and "golden boy" are being overhyped for the win. She hasn't helped with her early dramatics about her weight (you weren't CLOSE to what Kirstie was dealing with, honey) and now she's on a wide-eyed little "JR will be hard to beat" tactic with the press which I find disingenuous and more likely an attention-getting mechanism for herself than honest reflection (ie: "don't forget how good I AM".
  21. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Agree and disagree... Maks had high hopes and got someone who couldn't live up to them. You're told your blind date is one thing and something totally different shows up. Hope seems to have at least half a brain and I suspect she picked up on those cues. No way either of them is enjoying this.
  22. pixie cut

I think they're both at fault. If a blind date sucks, you just don't go out again. This is a PAID job. So no matter how bad it is, it's the pro's job to suck it up and work with his partner. For this, Maks is over his head.

I think Hope is passive-aggressive. She expected this to be a snap. She is not very good with criticism. She doesn't know how to suck up her disappointment that this show is actually hard and sometimes you have to be humble.

Two storm systems crashing into each other and the viewers are the ones suffering.
  23. Cheylana

Agree. And while I agree that Derek is a fantastic dancer, choreographer and teacher, I find the show's obvious favoritism extremely off-putting. Is his dancing gift so far and away better than every other pro on this show? Not in my opinion.

Case in point: Mya was regularly lampooned and bashed as an eville ringer, both by the show and by Derek's then-partner Joanna (and he did nothing to slow down her nasty remarks). But the very next season when Derek was paired with an even more ringer-y ringer, the show went on and on about how Pussycat Doll was the Best! Dancer! Evah! and how it would be a travesty if she didn't win...even though she was whiny and far more unlikeable than Mya. I found that double-standard totally ridiculous. But what's more, to assure Derek of the win, they started poking fun at her closest competition (Evan); they called him a ringer(!), they poked fun at his monotone voice (granted, he's an easy mark on this one :D), Carrie Ann told another competitor that he had "Evan Lysacek Syndrome" to plant the seed of Evan's vast inferiority in the viewers' minds, and to cap it off, showed misleading and unflattering footage in Evan's rehearsal package on finals night.
  24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Oh I miss Mya and Dimitry. They had some of the best/hottest numbers EVER on DWTS.
  25. danceronice

Exactly. I am sure Derek is a nice person. He might be a really good teacher (I think I would probably rather have a lesson from him than Maks at the very least I probably wouldn't want to beat him to death with a baseball bat halfway through). But he DOES seem to be Producers' Pet and the Nicole season was just the icing on the cake. You're forgetting the worst part--when Len said (paraphrasing) after her last dance "There's the winner!" BEFORE EVAN AND WHOEVER WAS THIRD HAD EVEN DANCED YET. Forget telling Hope she's not so hot, THAT had to be the most backtalk-worthy thing the judges have ever come up with.

(And I am STILL hung up on their using "Pussycat Doll" as a put-down this season. Now, if THAT had been when Maks snapped? I would be right there with him.)
  26. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Erin Andrews was the WHOEVER WAS THIRD star dancing with Maks.
  27. pixie cut

They had already been announced as third and danced. Then Nicole and Derek danced and Len pronounced them the winners. Then Evan and Anna danced last.
  28. danceronice

See, at THAT point, it would be totally understandable if Maks (or Anna, or Evan, or Erin) just snapped. If she was SO obviously the winner, why bother competing? Give her the mirror ball and be done with it.
  29. Cheylana

I was too angry about Evan & Anna's treatment to watch the finale, so I didn't see this, but I did hear about it and it bothered me.
  30. WindSpirit

I finally watched the whole show a few days ago.

I had seen the infamous Maks pushing/manhandling Hope scene before on YouTube and it didn't seem so bad as I read many people describe it. It looked much worse in a better resolution, though. Hope was definitely teary. She should have kicked him in the nuts. I was so touched by the way Maks embraced Nancy after she was saved, but I can't get past that scene. His "machismo" and ego are so tiring.

As for their samba. It was bad, bad, bad. I don't know what they judges drunk before praising it. Maybe they were scared of Maks. Hope dances as if she had a wooden leg. And a broken hip. It was painful to watch.

Teddy from the troupe is cute and seems like fun, but his dancing is so below everyone's level it's not even funny.

I also watched Strictly. They also had a wardrobe malfunction. What a difference to Nancy's, though. No camera cuts. No "OMG 5 more millimeters of a boob more than usual, what about the children??" :drama: Although I felt sorry for the girl because she got super uncomfortable and even cried at the end. Why on earth do they put busty women in those skimpy tops? Anyway, I guess her partner, Pasha Kovalev was on SYTYCD or something, because people seem to know him here. It looks like he is Strictly's Tristan: new, cute, a sweetheart with an accent and a sense of humor. "Tara rara rara ram, tara rara rara ram... Good. Let's never do that again." :lol: Chelsee Healey & Pasha Kovalev Tango

Nancy & Tristan have tango and (insta) jive again this Monday. Hopefully they're going to get better music this time. And hopefully Tristan is finally going to listen to Nancy's advice, "If I screw up on the dance floor, rip your shirt off!" :)
  31. danceronice

I'm half convinced that the producers are score-manipulating to keep them in in the hopes she'll do exactly that. That, or punch him in the nose.
  32. WindSpirit

I thought I saw a thread about Kelly Clarkson's new album but I can't find it. Since I heard her Mr. Know-It-All song on DWTS, I'm writing it here.

Couldn't get the song out of my head. I was planning to buy it alone but since Amazon charges the same $1.29 as iTunes for a song now, I listened to all samples and decided it'd be more worth it to buy the whole thing. And I'm so glad I did because I LOVE it. :)

Although I do prefer Kelly live. There are still some singers out there who can sing and don't need all that excessive production around their voice.
  33. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I love the cd, I bought it the day it came out and still listen to it in my car everyday. A few of the tracks do sound a little over produced, but they still work. The only song I usually skip is the duet with the guy. Country music :scream: