Dancing With The Stars, Week 7

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

But Hope is likely to get sympathy votes this week from people who feel bad that she has to put up with Max.

I do think Max crossed a line here; but I also think Hope has been a nightmare as a partner. She totally refused to go outside her "I'm a strong, star athlete, I can't be girly" mode and they are both stubborn as mules. Max pushes too hard, but Hope also refuses to listen. She may have worked better with Teddy, but the two of them did act very juvenile, like two teenagers laughing at their stodgy old professor.

As I've said, I cannot stand Nancy Grace personally, but I think Hope deserves to go before she does. And what do you want to bet that JR will be "in jeopardy" tonight just so they can highten the drama??? Ugh, I miss the days of Apolo, Kristi, Gilles, and Evan...

2. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

There was a moment last night where Hope was so awful I thought she had to be faking it. Then I thought, it's real, but clearly she has a serious mental block about dancing.

There were at least of couple of pieces of music last night that had been used previously. Monique and Louis cha cha'd to Ghost Busters on the Halloween show five years ago and Lance and Lacey tangoed to Disturbia three years ago, also for a Halloween show if I'm not mistaken. Think this was a first for Werewolves of London. Keeping Warren Zevon's memory alive!

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

All of these reality shows are scripted and manipulated by the production crew. The better ones make you believe that the events are unscripted and real. DWTS has run out of celebs. A and even B list celebs cannot make the time committment. Same for a lot of athletes. This is overall the worst cast they've had. I, like a lot of viewers, just watch for the pros now. Maks knows this and that's the reason TV Guide has given him a blog. I think the show is nearing it's natural end. It did well against AI last spring, which is also aging, but may not do as well against the Voice. I expect to see more attempts to create controversy in an effort to keep a cheap show that produces good revenue from slipping away. However, they will need to make some dramatic changes to do so. Changing the set design wasn't it.

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think it is winding down too. It has gotten boring. One thing that might help is sticking to 1 hour. 1 1/2 - 2 hours is Zzzzzzz.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  5. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

That is the sort of thing the producers want to script and portray? Really?

For me, this is the moment when the show jumped the shark.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I'd like to see them bring back some of the newer dance styles they introduced in past seasons. They've been using the same dances for the last 4 or 5 seasons. I FLOVED when they did the jitterbug and charleston, salsa, lambada, etc. Just no country two-step! I think changing things up with that could make things a bit more exciting for the viewers. But realistically, the cast is the biggest audience draw.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I know the show picks and chooses only the segments they want us to see of the rehersals and that people bickering might increase the show's popularity with some people but I doubt they would go as far as choreographing a guy manhandling a woman, no matter how athletic she is, for better ratings.

I really don't think people who go for that sort of thing would ever watch a dance show, and it makes them look bad for allowing such behavior. As to the reason why they chose to show that segment, I'm stumped, unless it's to diminish Maks' reputation which I'm pretty sure he can do all on his own.

I also don't think Maks' popularity grew because of his bad boy behaviour, I think it grew from the chemistry he had with people he liked to work with, like Mel B and Kirstie Alley

8. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Maks and Kirstie were a revelation--they worked so well together, and I thought they would bicker all of the time. Maks and Hope clearly don't get along.

9. rfisher

I think they think any discussion about the show is better than no discussion. They chose to put that particular bit of footage out of a couple of hours on the air. That was deliberate.

10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Maks seemed to work well with Erin Andrews and Laila Ali too, but Hope + Maks definitely is not a good partnership -- they certainly don't bring out the best in each other -- in fact, quite the opposite. I guess the producers playing up the "Mad Max" schtick is their way of trying to "make lemonade out of lemons" but it is misguided and leaves a sour taste for me.

I did think that Hope was a bit better last night (and seemed more relaxed) -- but she still is pretty bad. Nancy didn't do at all well last night either. Sigh.

11. rfisher

Sometimes the producer manipulation backfires. I think Danny Gokley's dead wife on AI is a perfect example. What they are doing with Maks is another. He did not look at all happy last night about what was being done. Hope was clearly clued in as was Derek. She didn't look surprised and she is not a good actor. It it wasn't planned, she'd have shown it on her face. She knew what was going to happen. It was staged. Why is anybody's guess.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The judges were certainly promoting "Team Paso" last night.
    I wonder why?

13. Fridge_Break

Derek is involved.

14. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

See, I hated it, because the pros are just as incompetent at them as the stars are (which is probably why they're gone.) The only one they'd get away with is WCS (which would just be letting Lacey shoot fish in a barrel) and nightclub two-step because any idiot can get through that. The ones they're using are the real ballroom/latin dances, so they're the ones the pros know. (I just wish they'd make up their minds, are they doing Smooth or Standard ballroom dances?) They could sneak in mambo, maybe (unfair advantage to Tony this time as he at least would know for sure how to count it, but hey, if anyone deserves a break...)

I think they kind of have hit or miss casts--people like underdogs, unexpected good stars, surprises. And since the A listers can't commit to doing a show that long, athletes you have to hit the right season, and with 'non-celebs' (Buzz, Bristol, etc.) you have to catch them when they're promoting something or really have the time and name rec to do the show...

Trying to inject new pro blood seems to help, with Tristan the obvious big hit this year going on the press coverage (not just because he and Nancy stuck it out). The "troupe" thing works better than the 'vote for a new pro' seems to have (though I think that might have worked better for them, if not for him, if Mayo had been allowed to win.)

15. skatesindreams

Derek is an amazing choreographer who does a great job of working within the capabilities of his partners.
    However, I hope that they don't intend to throw JR/Karina "under the bus" to get him another Mirror Ball trophy.

16. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

So many problems with last night's show -- where to start? I guess the only thing I'll say is that Team Paso winning the team competition was an absolute offense against all that is right and holy. I'm sick of the manipulation and BS on this show. It's gotten so outrageous. The only reason I'm going to keep watching is to vote for JR, and then I'm done with this sad little show.

ETA: I'll miss Tom when I quit watching. :-( His quips and JR's fabulous dancing are the only things that make the show palatable this season.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I haven't been watching this season -- couldn't work up any interest in it -- but reading this thread, I had the same thought. Do they really want to be the show where guys shove girls around? Do they need publicity that badly?

18. danceronice

They would get better response if Hope DID haul off and hit him back.

19. Fridge_Break

To me, the casual fan, many of those styles of dance provided entertaining and memorable performances... Julianne & Cody's Jitterbug, Mya & Dmitry's Lambada, Melissa & Mark's Charleston.. and I, the casual fan, would enjoy seeing them again. The pros might have had a difficult time with them at the beginning, but they all made it work in the end.

20. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

KINDA AWESOME:
    - The Halloween opening ("Dead from Hollywood!"; the three skeletons at the judges' table; the conductor in the zombie costume; the tarantula on the dance floor)
    - David's skeleton dance
    - Tom Bergeron in general
    - J.R. in general

OKAY:
    - Team Paso
    - Ricki and Derek's regular paso

:yawn::
    - Everything else

21. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I haven't seen last night's show yet but from the comments it seems like Nancy has a good chance of going home tonight. Along with Tristan. :wuzrobbed I really hope it's not going to happen, though.

22. danceronice

Except THEY know it worked badly, most of the dances weren't entertaining, and seemed visibly uncomfortable trying to teach things several flat-out told their celebs "I don't know any more about this dance than you do." I can see them all saying "Don't put us through that again." AT they can fake (though heaven help you if you ask a serious tanguero or milonguero about it...honestly, it's a sport for competitive ballroom people, AT is a RELIGION...) When they haven't got any more idea about the dance than the person they're supposed to put through cram school to learn it in a week, they probably are very uncomfortable.

23. skatesindreams

24. danceronice

We're being Bieberized.

For the amount of money they have to be paying their guest performers, you'd think they'd shell out for better sound systems. I mean, nice to know they're not lip syncing, but....

25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

My ears! They BLEED. My eyes! They're blinded. Someone put me out of this misery? And why is he doing jumping jacks? :scream:

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:eek: Justin Bieber doesn't sound so good.

27. danceronice

What little I can hear of him it's not that awful but he's basically got that headset mic in his mouth and the sound is...not right. Someone running sound is just...not figuring out this new set or something...

28. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Almost sounded flat towards the end there.

29. danceronice

Oh, gee, shilling Team Paso again.....

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

This is the Dream Team??? I didn't see the other team. Were they that much worse? :yikes: Hope is really bad.