Dancing With The Stars, Week 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think that's the reason all of the stars agree to appear. It's a big time commiment (why there aren't A list stars). The money is pretty good if you win, but not really a lot if you leave early and not nearly enough to make it worth the time of a star who has a lot of current jobs.

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

No, they'd have had to nail her to the wall, but then if it were a real dance competition they'd be expected to perform to their real proficency level, so pretty much everyone's routines would look more or less like Nancy's, as none of them are really able to handle Open choreography.

And if she missed the memo it's a popularity contest, where has she been the last 13 seasons?

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This.

4. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

If this were a real dance competition there wouldn't be smoke effects on the dance floor and blinding spot lights. So I guess we can call it even.

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I'm not at all surprised Chynna left so early. Her fellow eighties singer Belinda Carlisle was first out a few seasons ago, and I didn't think Chynna's fanbase would be any stronger.

6. pixie cut

Except Belinda Carlisle was an awful dancer. Her first dance was pathetic. The second was a little better, but not much, and she came off as obnoxious about it. I could see people not having an interest in keeping her around.

Chynna was great the first show, decent the second show and really good the third show. Even in the disaster of a tango she hit some lovely poses. She clearly had potential, but I guess her fans just weren't there.

7. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Finally got to watch this week. My vote for the final group.........JR, Hope and Ricki. In that order. I wasn't in love with Derek/Ricki as others were. Loved Hope/Maks this week. Always love JR. Love Carson (not as much this week).

8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Mak's latest blog I agree with everything he said.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    As do I!
    I especially appreciate what he said about JR.

10. danceronice

I have to admit, I'm not quite sure why everyone was so sad about Kristen leaving. She was only so-so, no worse or better than a lot of mid-packers, and she just seemed rather vapid personality-wise. And it hurt, I'm sure, that it was memorable-stories week and hers was kind of nothing. I kept forgetting her name.

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm no great fan of Kristen Cavillari, but she was a decent dancer who could have made it farther than others who are bad dancers w/ a big fan base. I wasn't upset when she left b/c I'm no fan, but I can see why some would be :huh:

OTOH, Maks needs to remember that it is a fan driven show, so of course those w/ large fan bases are going to go farther than they should. It's the nature of the show.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm sure he doest complain when he has a partner who has fans

13. pixie cut

To be fair, I don't think he's ever had a partner who is a totally crappy dancer that has advanced deep into the competition because of a great fan base. When his partners have been weak -- Debi Mazar or Denise Richards -- he's made an early exit. He's had some good partners -- Willa Ford and Brandy -- who were out because their fan bases didn't stack up with other celebrities. The four times he's been in the finals it was totally deserved. So his complaints are not unreasonable.

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I can completely understand his frustration. And he can't verbalize it as "most of the time I get partners who are weak" w/o sounding like a complete jerk.

15. my little pony

i dont know why at this point anyone still thinks that this is only a dance competition

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:huh: It's not strictly based on dancing????? I feel so misled and betrayed! :drama: :lol:

17. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I like Maks even more now, and he brings up a good point about the producers calling the shots and twisting things around. It's like over on American Idol, the judges' controversies always come off as so fake; it's all producer scripted. The only reason I don't mute the sound when the judges are talking on DWTS is I enjoy Tom Bergeron's repartee. Maybe that's scripted too.

18. pixie cut

This is television, but there is dancing involved, so you'd like to think it counts for a little something. :rolleyes: Guess not. :yikes:

19. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

While some of his repartee may be scripted, he's too good at coming up with fabulous snarky remarks when obviously unplanned stuff happens, so I'm sure it's not all scripted; I'd say I'll bet the majority of his stuff isn't scripted. Now clearly a lot of Brooke's stuff is scripted, and she's still horrendous at it.

Well, mlp did say "....anyone still thinks that this is only a dance competition..." I think it's pretty clear the dancing does count for part of it; I've certainly been won over by the dancing itself for various contestants, apart from fandom, personality, etc. But all that other stuff weighs in with the dancing and why shouldn't it? It's entertaining this way. It is what it is. :)

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I usually fast-forward through the judges' commentary, but this week I was too lazy for the last show. FWIW, Len Goodman did give JR credit where it was due, and said the same thing.

I think it's remarkable that Solo continues to train with her team at the same time she does DWTS. She's constantly shifting between something physical in which she's expert, using different muscle sets, to something in which she is a beginner.

I find her behind-the-scenes comments fascinating, because they show her way of approaching a problem, breaking it down, and working it through. At one point, she gets ripped for her walk, which Maks was trying to get her to learn with the proper technique and style. She said something to the effect that it's three seconds of a routine, and she's not going to spend limited time for three seconds out of two minutes. Of course, she's not expert enough to know which three seconds are more critical than others.

I thought Chynna Phillips had the talent to go much farther. Without a huge fan base though, Maks' commentary sounds like figure skating fans vs. those who watch skating once every four years: Chynna's mistake was so obvious to the casual fans who are oblivious to other dancers' more constant mistakes and weaknesses. Casual fans don't care about technique any more than casual fans care about the lutz vs. the flutz or underrotations or about transitions. They just know and care that skater X fell and skater Y didn't.

Philips' Wikipedia bio said that she had been treated for anxiety. She came across to me for the last two weeks as a bit affectless, which was not going to inspire many non-affiliated fans who watch and vote, as opposed to votes generated football team booster clubs rallying the troupes around a player, or interest groups and blogs around a contestant, where the voters don't even have to know what channel the show is on to push their preferred candidate.

21. danceronice

Sadly, in rumba, that's the walks. Even pros drill them.

While I think Chaz should have gone before her (like the week prior), in this case I think Chynna just failed too completely. I don't think anyone (shy of, say, Master P, who was trying to be bad) has ever imploded quite so totally as she did last week. She froze and basically didn't dance 2/3 of the routine. Everyone else except Chaz was technically better and Chaz at least made it all the way through the performance without stopping. The only real hope she had once everyone else didn't fall apart was that she'd get pity votes to keep her in, but apparently after the prior week she looked nervous and this last week she just broke down people decided to go for a mercy-kill instead.

22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Maybe, but whoever writes his script is WAY better than whoever scripts the others!

23. my little pony

from facebook:

Next Monday, October 24th, Kristin Chenoweth will be performing The Sound Of Music live on Dancing With The Stars! Don't forget to set your DVR. :cool: