Dancing with the Stars Week 1 (9/20 & 9/21)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Capella, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Capella

Capella Guest

I didn't realize it starts TONIGHT! For some reason I had it in my mind that it was next week. But wheeeeeeee!

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

On paper the casting sucks this season, but I hope they surprise us tonight.

I think this season is Mak best chance to take home his first trophy, but he needs to stop making the choreography and dancing all about him. From what I've seen of rehearsals, I think Brandy will be good.

I want to see if The Situation will be craptacular or if there's any hint of potential there :lol:. I also want to see how Audrina will move on the dance floor.

I think Kurt Warner will try very hard but just won't have the natural grace to pull of the dances.

3. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

There are quarterbacks who move fluidly and fast. Warner isn't one of them, he's good in other ways. But he's a great underdog story since he was a nobody in college and ended up q'backing in the NFL out of nowhere.

4. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Here's a quick team recap just to get us ready for tonight! :cheer2:

Audrina Patridge & Tony Dovolani
    Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas
    David Hasselhoff & Kym Johnson
    Florence Henderson & Corky Ballas
    Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough
    Kurt Warner & Anna Trebunskaya
    Kyle Massey & Lacey Schwimmer
    Margaret Cho & Louis Van Amstel
    Michael Bolton & Chelsie Hightower
    Mike Sorrentino & Karina Smirnoff
    Rick Fox & Cheryl Burke

5. Capella

Capella Guest

TMZ has a total spoiler of the songs everyone is doing for their Cha Cha or Viennese Waltz.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I don't really expect her to be good, but go Florence :cheer:

7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Ooooooo, wouldn't a final between Maks and Karina (and their partners) be fun. :watch: Of course, they're probably over all their relationship baggage and might not try to kill each other. :( But, we could hope. :)

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Evan tweeted that he'll be there to cheer on his friends.

9. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Thanks for the reminder! I have no idea who I'm going to like this season. I guess maybe I'll be a little objective for a change. :lol:

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Soooo, this season is 10 potential trainwrecks plus Brandy and Baby? :wideeyes:

Looking like an all-girl Final 3, unless Fox, Warner or the Situation can pull Mr. Charming votes en masse.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

12. rfisher

Since I want a Karina vs Maks final, I'll have to divide all my votes between Brandy and Mr. Jersyshorewhatshisname. I'm good to go.

I'm so glad I have two DVRs as there are at least 3 programs to record while I'm watching DWTS. (I wouldn't ever watch it after the fact.)

13. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I'm on the Jennifer Grey train. And she lucked out with Derek. Has the guy ever gotten a bad partner? Favoritism on the part of the producers?

I saw a thing with Tony where he said he's very happy with Audrina this season - that he's pleased he got someone with some rhythm, so who knows?!

14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

How bad is it that I don't recognize half the celebrities (or at the most vaguely remember hearing the name)? I did know nearly all the cast for last season besides Evan...

15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Derek has never gotten a turkey, that's for sure. But Brooke Burke was so overrated as a dancer that it wasn't even funny, and Ms. "I'm not like other people" from last season was annoying, :lol:

I don't think the audience will let him win again. They want someone new to win, and I think the producers also. Although I don't see why Derek can't get a Bristol Palin instead of Mark.

16. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I think it's probably because Mark is the better teacher.

17. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I try not to have too much of an opinion before the show starts. In the past I was pleasantly surprised by people I wasn't really expecting to like. Never thought Kelly Osbourne would be a favorite. Jerry Springer was more charming than anticipated and while you may hate Tom Delay's politics (and of course he couldn't dance) he at least showed up with a good attitude and tried to do the moves and appeared to enjoy himself. Unlike some other contestants who shall remain nameless:slinkaway

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Here's my breakdown with expectations:
    Audrina Patridge & Tony Dovolani - NO clue, never heard of her
    Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Experienced dancer meets drill sergeant. If the chemistry is there, they could be fantastic.
    Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Per Mark's twitter, this should be a train wreck. Unfortunately, we're stuck with her for a few weeks.
    David Hasselhoff & Kym Johnson - Entertainer meets pro who knows how to showcase an entertainer.
    Florence Henderson & Corky Ballas - Can be great if Corky can keep his mugging under control.
    Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - All depends on how flexible her back is. I expect her to be able to do all the steps... extension will be crucial.
    Kurt Warner & Anna Trebunskaya - Could be decent. At least he knows how to be coached and she's no shrinking violet.
    Kyle Massey & Lacey Schwimmer - Another never heard of.
    Margaret Cho & Louis Van Amstel - This should be interesting. If she takes it seriously, she could be very good.
    Michael Bolton & Chelsie Hightower - Expecting a trainwreck. He seems pretty stiff.
    Mike Sorrentino & Karina Smirnoff - I think The Situation can move. Don't expect him to be able to keep a frame.
    Rick Fox & Cheryl Burke - Rick should be able to move more easily than Kurt. Depends on how Cheryl handles the height difference.

First out... Bolton

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

In the USA Today clips I linked above, Bristol says the cha cha is supposed to be sexy and that she "doesn't have a sexy bone in my body

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

When was that? I was just looking at Mark's Twitter and didn't see anything like that.

21. soxxy

soxxy Guest

22. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Whooaaa, Brooke! Quite the dress. pml!

23. sodapop

sodapop New Member

I'll admit; I've missed Kym's boobs. :shuffle:

24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

is Baby drunk or is that her store bought face?

25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Florence Henderson looks so young for 76.

26. rfisher

And Tony dances around whoever that is.

27. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Audrina does a competent and lively cha cha, but light on the footwork.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Audrina's pretty and she can move well for a non-entertainer, but she just seems sort of bland.

ETA: Why couldn't Tony get Jennifer Gray and Derek get paired with Audrina.

29. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

thought Audrina did good for the first dance. nice start.

30. rfisher

Bruno: you look like a show pony that needs to be whipped into shape
    Carrie Ann : you've got cojones