Dancing with the Stars, Season 17

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DaveRocks, Sep 4, 2013.

1. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Good, no television thread is complete without someone telling us why they don't watch the show.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  2. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Snooki should have been in the top 5. Leah and Bill need to go next. Then Jack. Based on skills, the top 4 should be Elizabeth, Amber, Corbin and Brant.

I did not like Snooki at all before this show, but she quickly became my favourite by far. She was a really good dancer who gave it her all and got into different characters really well. And she could dance all styles, which some of the others struggle with.

I'm glad to see that Jack is almost as endearing as his sister. Despite what people may thing of Ozzy and his antics, it's obvious the kids are well rounded, smart and mature, and that the family is extremely close and supportive. A bit of an oddity in Hollywood.

Bill is a sweet guy and is giving it his all, but he should not be in past Snooki and Christina. Leah is sarcastic (my kind of sense of humour) but she's started to get a bit annoying and I don't think her dancing is improving much. She should have been gone a few weeks ago too.

3. oliver

oliver New Member

Where is everybody??????

4. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing! Jack should have been the one to go home...he is starting to really annoy me. Brant is likeable and a hard worker. He can dance, too! I enjoyed Cher as a judge. She judges simply from a performance aspect which was different.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i would have loved to cut jack loose

i was pleasantly surprised that cher was such a positive judge, i really didnt know what to expect. but i was hoping for a little gypsies, tramps and thieves action.

6. oliver

oliver New Member

I can't believe Jack is still on the show. What is it between him and Carrie Ann? Same goes for Bill. Neither one is a dancer.....

7. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Yes but Bill is funny and tries very hard. Jack whines.

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Dear Bill and Jack fans,

Please gets your eyes checked.

Sightfully yours,

PeterG

9. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

That was a disappointment. The next three HAVE to be (in some order) Jack, Bill and Leah.

10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:lol: I haven't cared enough to vote this time around, but last night I was thinking of throwing some at Jack. (I didn't bother though.)

Who is Leah in her day job and why is she still there? I find her an unpleasant personality.

11. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

She has no day job at the moment, which is why she's so desperate to stay on DWTS.

In the past she was on the long running sitcom King of Queens.

She was one of the original co-hosts on The Talk, and was dumped from the show. It's pretty funny when The Talk hosts, of which Sharon Osbourne is one, come out to support Jack and they always have awkward looks when the cameras cut to them after Leah dances.

I'm honestly so sick of her attitude, I really hope she goes home next.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's very common for a worthy dancer to be booted before those with large fanbases.
    Leah is fortunate to still be there.

Brant and Peta were charming on GMA.

13. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I figured it would be Brant because he has no real backstory, other than being on "Pretty Little Liars", his personality is pretty bland and as a dancer, he hasn't really improved enough to catch voter attention. I don't get the Jack love from the judges, his "disco" dance was klutz and off-time. Bill had the definite advantage there, just because he could use the same moves he's already learned. It must kill the producers that his fan base is keeping him in when they so obviously want him gone.

I thought Cher was pretty much of a nonentity as a judge; she gave 9s to everyone except Bill, so what good was that? And two hours of Cher music was more than my ears could stand. Plus her solo song costume looked like Halloween left-overs at KMart. I did not enjoy last night at all.

14. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

Amber and Derek should not have earned a 10 for their dance. Bruno over scored them.

15. my little pony

i guess katie holmes figured out how to set up an auto dialer

16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I thought Jack's tango was really good, though.

As for the dance off, I disagreed with every single judge's decision, as well as the 10 for Derek :lol:

17. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Aw, someone is peeved that their eye candy was sent packing :saint: :p

:cheer2: Bill!! :cheer2:

(and FTR, my eyesight is just fine :D). I find him really appealing because he is, for me at least, what the premise of this show embodies, or at least is supposed to. Bill has no dance experience whatsoever, yet he is working his ass off and is improving as the show progresses (in spite of the crap music choices he and Emma keep getting foisted on them). It's obvious that he's having a blast with this -- in spite of how challenging and difficult it is to keep up with contestants who are 20-30 years younger than he is and, in some cases, are ringers, he's keeping up with them. He is not getting all :drama: about things, doesn't take this to the serious level to the point that it sucks the entertainment aspect out of watching him, and he's not all dour or snarky *looks pointedly at Leah*. I'm not surprised in the least that he's still on the show -- I suspect that he has been a pleasant surprise for a lot of viewers and has developed a fanbase that is steadily increasing.

The producers of this show probably thought he would be the show's Drunkle, make an ass out of himself and garner a few laughs before being eliminated in the first three weeks, so it wouldn't shock me at all if his success is giving the producer fits.

Also, I know I'm probably in the vast minority here, but I think he's attractive (both in looks and personality), and it's nice at my age to be able to crush on a contestant -- the overwhelming majority of :grope: guys on a competitive show like this are not much older than my daughter, and to crush on guys that young is sort of self-creepifying.

Leah can go home any time -- I find her to be extremely unpleasant and unenjoyable.

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I guess I don't find Jack as annoying as the rest of you do. LEAH is a whiner with no back story to make her be that. Maybe my personal experience with knowing someone with MS, yeah that fatigue is something that I could not imagine. Jack does grate on me - just because of his personality, but LEAH is a billion times worse.

If I was any of the stars on the show, I would throw in the towel unless I was partnered by Derek. He does nothing wrong according to the judges and scores all the HUGE inappropriate scores. As much as I like Amber on Glee, if she wasn't partnered with Derek, she would not receive anywhere near the scores that she gets.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  19. pixie cut

Len did nothing but slam Derek and ignore Amber for several weeks.

20. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Just catching up on this via DVR. OMG, the cojones needed by these singers to sing Cher songs in front of Cher!! Can't decide whether to :rofl: or :yikes:!

22. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

Me too. I think they were judging on past performance and reputation. (Hmmm, sounds familiar...) I also thought there was bias in the dance-off a couple weeks ago. The judges had an annointed order and they stuck with it. Of course, what I saw on TV might have looked different on person. (Hmmm, sounds familiar... )

I totally agree. Some of the song-stylings were cringe-worthy. Cher's black costume with the feathered wig was horrible and sad. Like if Bob Macke reworked her scary, sexy Oscars (?) dress from the 80's to be a Martian funeral outfit. For a sixty-seven year old.

23. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Is JLo friends with Leah, maybe that is where her fan base is coming from. I sort of think Bill is ready to go. I can't put my finger on the Elizabeth or Amber thing. They are good, but.................I'm not feeling it.

24. pixie cut

I kept thinking how did the producers decide which couples got the band singers singing Cher and who got the actual Cher music? Now there's a conspiracy theory for you.

25. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I'm watching this year, but I think the program is wearing very thin.

26. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm sure some people are remembering that every vote for Leah is a vote against Scientology and its freakshow (as she bailed on the "church.")

27. my little pony

it is hard to predict who will end up being really likable or really not likable. this season, they run the gamut from ok to meh. that doesnt make for compelling tv.

28. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I get and agree that Bill is charming, but the show is called Dancing with the Stars, and Bill is by far the worst dancer left on the show. He dances kind of like the drunk uncle at a wedding. That's not a bad thing in general, but it's not enough for him to deserve to be on a dancing competition show past people like Brant and especially Snooki and Christina, who actually can dance well.

I agree with those who think there's just something missing from Amber and Elizabeth. I agree that if Amber were with a different partner, she wouldn't be getting the scores she does. She's good, but her actual dancing isn't that amazing, it's her ability to sell it. I think that if she gets those scores, then Corbin should be getting 12s. They nitpick over him so much, yet they give someone like Jack the same scores. Elizabeth has a bit of 'crazy eyes' going on, and she is trying too hard, not just in the dancing, but in everything on the show, and it's making her somewhat unlikeable.

The show is a popularity contest (as well as dancing), but if based just on dancing ability, Corbin should by and far be the winner. Though the likelihood of the best dancer actually winning...

29. my little pony

i dont think that bill is worse than jack. jack leads with his belly like baby huey.

30. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I figure Corbin will end up as the eventual winner. Say what you will about certain celebs, but the dancers that are supposed to be in the finals will be. Happens that way every season. (Okay, Bristol Palin making it to the finals was an anomaly, but the ship righted itself with her voted out as the #3 finisher.) I know Bill, Jack, and Leah are subpar dancers but we're still in the part of the show where popularity is king. Christina, Snooki, and Brant didn't have the fan base even if they were better dancers. And you have to admit that Bill's work ethic and absolute enthusiasm have charmed a lot of people.

My guess is that the finale will be Corbin, Elizabeth, and Amber unless Amber's knee injuries become too much, then I truly wouldn't be shocked to see Bill or Jack there.