Dancing with the Stars, Season 17

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DaveRocks, Sep 4, 2013.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I think he was fine in the early seasons, but the show has a decidedly different look now.

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Hi choreo was lackluster at best. It seemed he was trying to train his star for pro-am, not for exhibition style.

3. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I mainly only remembered him with Marie. I don't think the floppy doll dance helped him any, though she said she wanted that as she creates/sells dolls.
    He may have been nice for Valerie Harper, though I imagine she requested Tristan. I thought I heard her saying something like she was glad that he was used to working with some of the more mature female celebs.

4. pixie cut

I think I'm one of the few, but I didn't have any problem with the concept of a doll dance. My problem was with the choreography. They didn't dance. I kept waiting for the doll to truly come to life and for them to do sort of a fantasy dance. But they just lumped around, did some ugly lifts and some joke moves and were done. It's okay that she got her concept. Jonathan failed in making the most of it.

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think Jonathan got tired of being given the old and the klutzy (ie he has less tolerance/patience than Tony.) You can teach for pro-am and do great stuff, but it's a lot easier with a younger, fitter student who's highly motivated. Tristan's clearly being slotted into "Replacement Jonathan" roles. Maybe because while clearly people think he's hot he doesn't have the slick gigolo look the Eastern European pros do? He was with Burn the Floor a long time, he's capable of doing outre choreo, but if you're trying to delicately handle ladies of a certain age or with a terminal illness there's only so much you can do...

6. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Same here.
    That dance just didn't pan out correctly.
    In a later season, even Tom B. humorously mentioned to someone (maybe Donny?), to stay away from "Floppy doll dances".

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I would love to see Tristan with a partner who would allow him to show how capable he is.

8. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I think there has to be something between a ringer and the bad dancers you mentioned. I don't particularly enjoy the seasons where one ringer seems to get annointed as the champion during the first three weeks. I want the suspense and drama. I personally enjoyed the first two seasons because it was a case of watching a show and being in disbelief about how good or bad someone was based on your preconceptions of them. After a while it became less about that.

It is still an enjoyable show, but it is no longer a show I think about when it isn't on or I don't see a thread about it on here. I dislike how some of the celebs have come to expect that they will be treated with kid gloves and fawned all over for their efforts. I prefer the mediocre dancers.

9. skatesindreams

My favorite seasons have been when someone discovers a talent/love for dancing which they didn't know they had.
    eg: Gilles Marini/Cheryl Burke, JR Martinez, etc.

Part of the reason for their success was pairing them with the right Pro.
    We saw what happened to Gilles/Peta, during All-Stars.

10. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Carrie Ann needs to lay off the caffeine or booze. I've missed a few weeks due to work and so far tonight I haven't been blown away. So far I liked Brant the best. I'm not feeling the Elizabeth/Val or Amber/ Derek team. Am waiting...............

11. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

What score did the first team dance get for the Halloween performance? I didn't see the scores.
    Cher is coming next time to perform and to judge while Len is out again.
    This was supposed to be more of a ballroom dance competition/show. Since he is the main stickler for ballroom technique, I don't know why they keep switching him out. Not sure if it's coming from the network, or if he is taking care of his health (or some such issue if one even exists). Can't say it is just ageism as I think he is around Cher's age.

12. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Nicole/Snookie and Bill E. in jeopardy.
    Bill looked like he knew it was him, but Snooki was voted off.
    She was kind of crying so Tom took over.
    He is a thoughtful host.

13. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

First team dance was all 9s

14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm a tad shocked but she was irritating when she spoke. i always found myself feeing sorry for her pro.

15. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

Oh, geez - I really wish that Leah was going home. I so changed my mind about Snooki. She is adorable on the show and was a decent dancer. That last cheerleading move was wonderful, as well as the backflips. Leah still is looking clunky. She must have a fanbase, for sure. Happy to keep Bill Engvall for another week.

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  16. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I was just starting to like Snooki. I am still stunned that Carrie Ann gave Jack a 10!!

17. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Bummer, I shall miss Snooki. The last team dance was the best dance of the night.

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I believe Len is doing a show in England which is why the guest judges.
    I thought it was horrible to have one team have the worst dancers while Derek's team got the ringers. I actually liked the first team dance the best. The fox thing was too overdone

19. pixie cut

Len and Bruno always do a show in England this time of year. They fly back and forth between DWTS and Strictly Come Dancing. Len must have asked for a couple of weeks where he didn't have to make the trip. Cher! This should be interesting.

Sorry to see Snooki go. Wishing it was Leah. I find her incredibly annoying.

20. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I liked the first team dance over the second. I thought it was really well done and fun

21. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

A bit surprised to see Nicole bounced, but glad that Bill is around for another week. I think he has a ton of people voting for him that originally weren't going to going into the season. He's made a lot of fans with his attitude and likability. Nicole was one of those that certainly changed my perspective of her in a good way based on her run on the show. She was a nice surprise.

Could not disagree more with the scoring of the team dances. The Halloween dance was so far and away better, more enjoyable, and better choreographed than the second (IMHO). But then again, part of that maaaay be because I absolutely detest that stupid fox song/video and shudder until my bones disintegrate that people have made a buttload of money from that piece of garbage (and what the hell is so appealing about it? I don't get it)... 10's was a bit much, IMO, but you know, Derek has to keep his winning streak alive somehow.

</rant>

I think I liked Brant's dance the best this week. I kind of flove Peta.

22. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I liked the halloween dance better. Snooki grew on me, didn't like her persona on the jersey shore program(only saw it once so i guess it may have been an off night).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  23. skatesindreams

Nicole proved to more likeable and a better dancer than her earlier persona indicated.
    Her exit really was a surprise.

Bill must have a huge fanbase; and they vote.

24. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I too can't believe Carrie Ann gave Jack a 10! I'm getting sick of him going on about his illness every week. Good on Cheryl for her response. She's really pushed him to better results than he deserves.
    I'm pleasantly surprised by how Leah is going for it too. She doesn't have the natural talent that some do but she is being well-supported by Tony.
    Still enjoying how Derek is bringing out the best in Amber. I hope they make it to the finals and then somebody else win. Derek has had a lot so I'd like someone else to get it.
    I really like Bill's attitude. He's so laid back and positive about everything; he's a breath of fresh air for this show. I was convinced that he'd go home last night. What a surprise! His routines were really well-designed around his capabilities.
    And Snooki! What a shock to see her go home! I've grown to like her more than I thought I would. Do have difficulty with the tattoos though.
    Group dances were both really good! I can't stand that fox song! Once was enough on Ellen! But Karina and partner were particularly good at spoofing it.
    Has anyone else noticed how Brooke's gowns are really fantastic? She looked like Cher in fantasy underwear last night! But then there was that leather number last week. Whew!
    I must say it's nice to be able to watch this show and not care who wins this time. I wish I could say that about Battle of the Blades but the results are really off the rails there!

25. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Did Derek Hough do any of Davis and White's choreography this year?

26. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

He worked with them on their My Fair Lady SD, but I don't know if he formally choreographed it, he's not listed as a formal choreographer for them.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

DWTS is a show that I absolutely abhor for several reasons (not to mention Bandzilla makes me want to gouge my ears with a spork after about 5 seconds), but I make sure to vote for Bill every week on the phone and online.

He's been a favorite comedian of mine for well over a decade (going back to before The Blue Collar Comedy franchise), and I'm thrilled to hear that he seems to be doing well and is seemingly well-liked by viewers and his fellow competitors.

28. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

At the start of his dance, Bill seemed really light on his feet for someone who does not sing/dance or have any known experience with choreography or athletics.
    Leah was told she needed to get in/out of those (several) lifts a bit more smoothly. I didn't seen her training package, but again, for a middle aged woman with no experience, she really went for it bravely.

29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So this guy that you vote for by phone as well as online...have you seen him dance at all?

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Yeah I have...and for a guy who's in his mid-fifties with no dance experience whatsoever and competing against fcuking ringers like Corbin Bleu and Nomi Malone, he's doing damned well.