Dancing with the Stars, Season 17

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DaveRocks, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Keyshawn jumped around too much in his career, so he wouldn't get the 'core fan of the team' votes like Emmitt and Hines did. Plus, he wasn't a humble player, so he didn't have the casual fan goodwill going for him.
  2. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I certainly admire her both in ability and determination. My guess is that she will continue for a few weeks and then bow out of the competition. I don't think she is the type who would want someone going home before her who was doing well and had a chance at winning. I also don't think she is the type who would want to stay safe each week based on her story and challenges rather than her performance.
  3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes definitely not the beloved player. Kind of a brat for a lot of his career. And his superbowl was a while back. Not to mention that his dancing wasn't so great.
  4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I'm so proud of Valerie going after her dream. I don't know how long she'll be able to continue. I feel she'll continue as long as she can, and it just makes my admiration for her even stronger.
  5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Since I don't follow the NFL very much, I was unaware of these facts, but he didn't have a really engaging personality displayed on DWTS. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how nice he was in talking about Sharna after he had been eliminated.

Rob, you are much, much too kind.
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If only.

I think he's more than giving it a shot: I think he was, again, under-rated. It is not easy to get those sharp contrasts between full out and dead stop.

I didn't think anyone could pry a vote from Bill Nye out of my hands, but Bill E. got all of my votes last night.

I think Tom Bergeron called it returning to the mother ship.

I don't even remember what she does.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

8. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

POP DAT TANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

The only thing I remember about Mark and WhatsHerName's dance is that whenever I hear that song they danced to, all I can see is those chubby little rats getting a shape-up makeover from the Kia commercials. :lol:
  11. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I thought when Bill Nye slipped/fell at the end of dance that it was part of the choreography. Turns out he hurt his knee and is getting medical treatment. I hope he feels better soon! Things just don't heal as easily the older we get.
  12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wish the audience would stop standing up during the dance. It's always a few rude people in the front or the middle standing up, which then of course causes people in the back of them to also stand up in order to see. I wish someone in the back would just scream out "SIT YOUR *SS DOWN."
    BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I just hope he gets a chance to swing dance and have some fun with it.
  14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I got through the first half of my tape. Keyshawn was no loss. Probably not worse than Lawrence Taylor, but not one of the better NFL contestants.
  15. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard if Bill Nye will be able to continue? I read that ABC hopes he comes back because ratings are much better than last season and his cult following is believed to be a large part of that success.
  16. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Well in the past, they've left the news until the last minute, talked about an injury and made you believe the cast member was on life support and then said performer comes out and performs. So, who knows?
  17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

lol, leah's feet spent a lot of time out of frame or really, really far away
  18. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Not sure who is watching tonight... but boy that was one hell of a sexy opening!! Leah and Tony are my fav's I think
  19. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Adele was not singing though
  20. 4rkidz

that would have been nice! Boy Karina is hot :hat1: - she has a great body and boy so fast in that quick step.. my hubby agrees as he walked past and he also noted her attributes ;)
  21. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:rofl: You're so right!

We'll see what happens with Bill N tonight. An 80% torn quad? Seriously? That's pretty serious...
  22. 4rkidz

I tore my hamstring and was 25 and fit and I was in agony.. even though almost 25 years ago I remember how I struggled to walk let alone dance!
  23. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Brant is ridiculously handsome. Oh my.
  24. 4rkidz

I LOVED Bill E and Emma.. that was a great lone ranger.. .loved his reaction.. oh and YES DaveRocks - Totally agree ;)
  25. my little pony

jack has the posture of a toddler
  26. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Corbin and Karina were fabulous!
  27. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I thought Bill was trying to withdraw but Tom didn't give him a chance. Perhaps because he knew he was gone anyway?
  28. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I saw the same thing. He held his hand up and called to Tom. No one acknowledged him so I bet you are right.
  29. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I saw the same thing too. Maybe Tom knew he was eliminated anyway so just ignored him to let the :drama: play out.
  30. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I thought a lot of the camera work was terrible: too far or too close to see the feet and switching angles too fast. Just show me the dancing. I don't care for Leah, Snookie or Brant, even if they can dance; there's something about their personalities that makes me want to root against them. I felt bad for Valerie when she forgot the steps. I'll miss Bill Nye's enthusiasm, if not his dancing but at least I still Have Bill Engvahl to cheer for. He's a character.

But the music they dredged up was terrible! Nearly 100 years of Hollywood soundtracks to choose from and that's what they came up with?
  31. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Very likely!
  32. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Just watched the dancing, my favorite performances were from Bill E. and Snooki (surprisingly, but she totally killed that quickstep). Bill Nye's dance was super entertaining and I am going to dearly miss his spirit and his determination. Probably was for the best that they let him go, whether it be a legit outcome or not -- I have a feeling he was running away with the fan votes and nobody else is even close -- but it appears that he was going to pull himself out anyways. All for the best so that he can get his injury taken care of.

Usually I flove the Charleston dances, but both of the ones tonight were crappy doodle. I expected more from Derek, and I know Mark is capable of better considering the one he choreographed for Melissa Joan Hart.
  33. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Bill E. and Snooki were my favorites. I'm enjoying her personality and I thought I would not. Have seen some of Bill E. comedy acts and enjoyed them, but didn't think he would be able to pull off the dancing. There is something lacking(to me) in Val and his partner. They are good but.........I did like them better last night. Can't remember his partners name last season, but I miss her. For some strange reason the height didn't bother last year like it does this year.
  34. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I loved Bill E too and am somewhat amazed that we've never seen a William Tell Overture paso in ice dancing. Wouldn't be surprised to see it in the future.

Still haven't finished watching the episode yet so we'll see if I end up liking Snooki as much as everyone else does.
  35. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I was really disappointed with the Charleston dances too. Sorry to see Bill Nye go but between the dancing and his injury, it was the right choice.
  36. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

At the last contra dance I went to a few weeks ago the band played the William Tell for one of the dances. Then for the last dance of the evening they played the Can-Can! Too bad I was sitting out both! :(
  37. my little pony

38. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Last week, they said Len would be out for this time and Julianne taking his spot due to some commitments re: Strictly Come Dancing. I saw a news thing that said he was out so he could rest up to start SCD.
    Does this seem true to anyone, or more of an excuse to open the spot for a guest judge? Seems they'd just add the 4th judge as a guest rather than have Len go, so I hope he is healthy and it is not anything to do with him needing any medical care. I believe he married a much younger 40 something woman so I guess he needs to keep his strength up.

Moving along..I really liked Cheryl's eye shadow tonight. Elizabeth's looked similar but with sparkles.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  39. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

If they were going to get rid of a judge to open a spot for a guest, I'd hope it would be Bruno who rarely adds anything useful. But that is a heavy work and travel schedule for Len, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a break.
  40. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I really got mistyeyed at Tristan's comments about partnering Valerie. I thought Julianne was a good judge she gave strong constructive criticism. My pet peeve about tonight's show was the fact all three judges gave the exact same score to every couple. After the first judge showed their score the other two followed with the same score. No originality.