Dancing with the Stars, Season 17

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DaveRocks, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Loved Elizabeth and Val (yes, Showgirl can DANCE!) and Bill and his partner were much fun. They are getting most of my votes. Can't wait to see Valerie.

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I presume they got rid of the lounge to save time now that they have only one night for competition and results. This way they save time with no running up to the lounge, and with Brooke interviewing them right after the dance. I'd prefer they just cut down on Bruno's antics.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i wouldnt mind if they cut brooke along with tuesdays. anything tom doesnt say doesnt need to be said.

4. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

WOW Jennifer Lopez in the audience!

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I thought that looked like Jennifer Lopez, but I couldn't figure out what she'd be doing there. And are they really going to follow Valerie Harper with Snookie?

6. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I didn't get all the numbers, but for those just wanting to call in a vote for Valerie Harper it is : 1 800 868 3410.

7. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Well I must admit this is the first time I have watched the first show all the way through without flicking about to other shows :lol: I really enjoyed all of the dancers.. obviously Valerie Harper made me cry, she looks fantastic for her age.. I was pleasantly surprised by Snookie and Jack Osborne.. loved Leah and Corbin is a good dancer - Amber was the best dancer.. I will enjoy watching this show.. poor Bill Nye I hope he has a nice experience - my daughter the scientist received a scholarship from his publication when she was in middle school and bought her gecko (who is still going strong).. overall a great show!!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. my little pony

she's there with leah

9. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

No one is as surprised as I am but.....I enjoyed Snooki!

10. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Yes, yes, yes!
    Aside from that, I was really surprised at the caliber of the dancers! I didn't know many of the names and wasn't really drawn in beforehand but I really enjoyed it. Snooki I never expected to be good. Amber could really move. Bill Nye was fun; hope he sticks around long enough to do jive as he likes it. I enjoyed the comedian and hope he's there for a while. I was expecting the Valerie Harper situation to be cringingly tacky but it wasn't. Loved the opening number.

11. my little pony

i need bill nye to stick around to dance to she blinded me with science

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  12. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Gleb is in the troupe. He danced in the opening. As the couples get eliminated, I'm sure the troupe, which is now Henry, Gleb, Lindsay and Witney, will be featured more.

13. jadingirl

jadingirl Member

Well something I learned tonight - my 9 year old knows who Bill Nye is - apparently they show his videos at school which is great to know he is still relevant. She was surprised though how old he looked as she thought the videos were current.

Jack Osborne surprised me with how musical he is - I guess it really does run in the family.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I was really surprised by how good it was - so many ringers/people with dance experience. So surprised by Snicole and Jack.

Not sure why they replaced Lindsay with Tyne Stecklein- is Tyne a ballroom dancer? I thought she was more contemporary/jazz.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yes. Or "Weird Science."

16. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That was what he danced to last night, so perhaps the DWTS PTB thought he likely would leave the show in early weeks.

I was surprised that "Snicole" (thanks Rob) was a pretty good dancer -- and also pleasantly surprised by Jack Osborne. I thought Amber would dance pretty well, but even she exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed the entire show last night -- there was minimal time for Brooke's inanities, but it was a bit disorienting for me to see the judges all looking to the left (their right) when giving their comments after years of seeing them facing the opposite direction. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I thought Bill E. was trying to use his feet properly, unlike most of the men, and the judges didn't mention it at all. The number of trained dancers surprised me, but it made for a great opener. I don't love Elizabeth, but PML about the segment where Val told her he had a crush on the other "Saved by the Bell" character.

I don't know her dancing, but it looks like they are going more in that direction officially, instead of allowing the allegedly ballroom routines be full of other genres.

18. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought he deserved more credit than he got. Not sure why we have both Bill Nye and Bill Engvall in the slot of "old guy who you wouldn't expect to see dancing." Would like to see Bill E. stay and dance to some country music, as this show usually does a good job with that genre, e.g. Cheryl and Drew dancing to Big and Rich.

19. my little pony

ita, i thought some of the men were quite overrated like the athlete. jack osborne moved like baby huey. better than i expected? maybe. but not actually good.

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Whoops, guess I should have watched!

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I (heart) Bill Nye, and I think his partner is a terrible match. Her being so OTT made him look worse than he actually was, and I fear he is doomed :(

Anyone who thinks Bill Nye can't move his hips needs to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6h4zLC5U8

22. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Key Lime-whatever was a lumbering pile of mess.

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wish this season had a few more athletes, they tend to be my faves, especially the Olympic athletes.

24. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Just watched the episode (WOOHOO for now having a DVR! :cheer2: ) and enjoyed most of the couples. Brant and Leah might have gotten a raw deal going at the beginning because there were a lot of memorable people that followed them. I don't know if I have a favorite dance from the night, but ones that stuck out included Corbin, Elizabeth, Valerie, and Jack. Nicole won points during her first quick interview in that she'd prefer to not be called "Snooki" and how she's attempting to not live the life of a trainwreck anymore, so props to her. She danced very well also. For the life of me I can't remember the woman from Glee who is atop the leaderboard.. oops. Bill Nye was fun, I imagine he is going to stick around, he has almost everybody voting for him who was in grade school when (or after) his show was being broadcast. I had friends on Facebook that I had no idea watched DWTS talking about him last night.

Worst performance of the night? The band's "performance" of Treasure. Poor Bruno Mars. Oyy.

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Keyshawn is not following in the dancing footsteps of the successful NFL contestants. He's more of a Michael Irvin, Lawrence Taylor.

26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I thought Corbin should have gotten 9s. If he danced that in a later week he probably would have gotten at least 1 ten. I thought he was the best of the night. though Amber was pretty damn good.

When I was watching Tristan tonight I realized that he completely reminds me of Johnny in Dirty Dancing. Toning it down to always have to dance with the older ladies, pretending to be so pleased with it. You just know he's got the bad boy life going on outside of work and really wants some hot young thing to be his partner.

Valerie was better than I expected, but though we know about her situation, I don't want to constantly hear about it. I want to watch them dance! Though I did love her attitude. And Jack's too. So sweet to see his parents there, crying.

Also, huge props to Corbin for admitting that he thinks he has a bit of an advantage. Most would say 'no', no matter what. Snicole was a pleasant surprise. She had me laughing in her clip package.

Now, let's just have Elizabeth do her quickstep (whenever she has it) to I'm So Excited, and everything will be perfect.

27. halffull

halffull Life is beautiful!

I thought the scoring was definitely off, I guess due to the order they danced in. I'm sure it will sort itself out now that everyone has shown their stuff. Looks like it will be a good, entertaining season. :)

28. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

You know, I thought I saw a glimpse of Gleb in the background. I wasn't paying close attention and thought maybe he was there for some big group production number, but then didn't see him again. I wonder why he had to go to the troupe and they brought up the other guy.

Bill N. did not seem too happy with his results. There is a blind item out there that originally some former reality guy was supposed to be on the show but then got replaced. I wonder if Bill Nye was that person, which would mean maybe he got less practice in? That could all be untrue, especially since they didn't do the usual commenting about how the new celeb jumped in at the last minute and started rehearsing.

I just saw something on TV saying ratings were up 25% this season.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Bill N. is a competitive guy, and Len and Bruno pretty much ripped him a new one. (That could be tactical, to see if his supporters come out in defiance and what their strength is.) I wish they had given him a tall partner, though. If he keeps leaning over her, he'll never get the correct posture or frame.

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

ITA. And the black suspenders on his white shirt just made the leaning more obvious.