Dancing with the Stars, Season 17

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DaveRocks, Sep 4, 2013.

1. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Since the last thread is about Season 16, I thought I'd start a new one about the current season.

Cast and partnerships.

What in heck is a Snooki? :confused:

It'll be interesting to see how far Amber and Derek make it.

2. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I actually find this to be a promising lineup. I hope Valerie Harper can move.

Funny they have both Amber and Corbin Bleu in the same lineup - similar demographic, from the fan standpoint.

Snooki is the same thing as that abdominal guy.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Whoever Derek is partnered with almost always lasts deep into the competition.
    I don't expect any less this season.

4. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I was disappointed (to put it mildly) that Anna wasn't selected to be on the show again this season until I read that Anna is pregnant! Congratulations to her!!

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I feel almost ashamed to admit it, given I just found High School Musical annoying, but...Corbin Bleu has improved with age.

Also...Bill Nye the Science Guy!

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Valerie did dance when she was younger. From her wiki page:

"When her family returned to Oregon, Harper remained in the New York City area to study ballet. She attended Lincoln High School in Jersey City, graduating from the private Young Professionals School on West 56th Street, where classmates included Sal Mineo, Tuesday Weld, and Carol Lynley.[1]

Harper began as a dancer/chorus girl on Broadway in 1959 in the musical Li'l Abner and went on to perform in several Broadway shows, some choreographed by Michael Kidd, including Wildcat (starring Lucille Ball), Take Me Along (starring Jackie Gleason), and Subways Are For Sleeping."

As most people know, Elizabeth "danced" in Showgirls.

8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I follow "Dancers Over 40" on Facebook, and they are over the moon about Valerie participating, she is their new profile photo. I realize she has health limitations, but she could surprise us all.

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I have never heard of Corbin Bleu, Amber Riley, Bill Engvall, Brant Daugherty, or Bill Nye. I didn't know Leah Remini's name, but I recognize her face from TV. I assume Jack Osborne is one of Ozzy/Sharon's kids?

I will be rooting for Rhoda.

10. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

Valerie Harper was in the film Lil Abner - in the chorus. Here is one of several clips. She's on the right side of the screen (sometimes ends up behind Stubby Kay) - orange dress with a hat and with white daisies on the tips of her pigtails which are wired so they extend out from her head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TfcJ82FAhw

11. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

Me too! I just listened to several of her interviews via youtube - she's pretty wonderful. Then again, I always liked her.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Welcome to the interweb, Grammps. :p

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I'm not a DWTS fan by any means, by my mom, aunt, sister, and nieces all watch it, so I usually get an earful about each show the next day whether I want to hear it or not :wall:.

My hat's off to you for managing to escape the media overkill of Snooki coverage (not too unlike their constant attempts to shove the Kartrashians down the publics' throats). If you were to look up the phrase "reality show train wreck personality" in the dictionary (if such a section existed), Snooki's picture would be listed as an example. A sack of hair has more smarts than does Miss Polizzi -- she manages to make the rest of the cast of Jersey Shore seem relatively intelligent by comparison :scream:.

MiniCyn was a fan of Flight 29 Down and several of the other shows/movies geared toward the tween/teen audience back when they were in their first run heyday, so I was familiar with the name Corbin Bleu, but damn, does he look different now than he did back then.

Leah Remini :blah: - Between the show King of Queens being utter shite and all of Remini's ranting of Scientology BS, I hope she's one of the first ones to go.

Amber Riley will likely have a ginormous fanbase going into this season, so between that and having :yawn: Derek Hough as a partner, she's likely the odds-on favorite to win, unless Valerie Harper snatches the sentimental voting bloc.

Nomi Malone is competing this season? :rofl: :rofl: Will she put ice cubes on her nipples before taking the stage? Will Gina Gershon make a guest appearance? Will Kyle MacLachlan show up so they can reprise their "pool duet?" :grope: Will she be decked out in costumes designed by Ver-Sayce? Will she take a zillion caffeine pills before performing? The snarkability for this pairing is sheer gold :rofl: .

If I had to choose a "star" to root for, it would be Bill Engvall, as he's one of my all-time favorite comedians. Of the four guys from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour (Engvall, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, and Larry the Cable Guy), I find Bill Engvall to be the funniest of the bunch (followed closely by Ron White). Bill is not only hilarious, he manages to do so without resorting to cursing every other word. Sidenote -- there's something about his partner, Emma Slater (at least in that photo) that reminds me me of Amber Corwin :lol:.

Lastly, I wonder if Cheryl Burke will be dancing while wearing Depends :p.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  14. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:shuffle: Me too and totally agree (I can still here him screaming when telling the story about flying with the Blue Angels!). :rofl: I'll be voting for him out of the block until he ain't there no more.

15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll have to endure her much. I just saw an old King of Queens show tonight in which she was supposed to be dancing like a salsa or something similar. Totally reminded me of Kate Gosslin "dancing". :lol:

16. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Saved by the Bell reunion!! Stacy Carosi and Jessie Spano. Here's hoping that Zack Attack perform at one of the live results shows. And PLEASE have Elizabeth dance to I'm So Excited!

But I'm rooting for Bill Nye. I used to watch his show every day after school. (And I now teach elementary school science). Wondering if they'll be able to work the theme song into a dance...

I actually don't think that Amber will do all that well. She's by far one of the weakest dancers on Glee, which is glaring when she'd be dancing next to others. She'll get teen votes, as well as some sympathy ones because of Cory Monteith's death.

Corbin can dance. I remember that from the High School Musical movies. Plus, he's not exactly hard to look at.

Hopefully he ends up being as charming as his sister, but Jack Osbourne may get some sympathy votes. He and his wife just confirmed that she had a miscarriage in her second trimester. He also has multiple sclerosis.

17. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Bill Engvall had a sitcom on TBS which also starred a then unknown Jennifer Lawrence.

ETA:,Leah left Scientology this summer with a lot of fanfare. I have a feeling that's why she's on the show.

18. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Already I'm enjoying the comments here much more than I will enjoy the show!:lol:

19. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I almost like it better when I really have no favorites or know most of the contestants. It's fun just to sit back and see who emerges--it's always a bit of a surprise.

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I never watch this but I *might* tune in for Bill Nye the Science Guy. Hometown favorite and a NERD to boot!!

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Bill Nye is in his late 50's, but if he holds up physically, I think he'll surprise a lot of people. He was at least into his 40's an excellent cyclist -- and may still be -- and in Seattle, that means uphill in both directions.

He'd always wanted to go on a space mission, and although he was on a PBS special about space flights, I think NASA lost a huge opportunity by having John Glenn be their token big name. He could have gotten so many kids interested in science if they had sent him.

He's by far my favorite going in.

22. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

My son is really excited about Bill Nye being on the show- BN was his hero when he was a kid, as he was to a whole generation of geeky kids now in their 20s. I hope he stays on the show for a while.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's easy to forget that his "Science Guy" viewers included many parents of the boomer generation who grew up on the space race and were fascinated by him, too. That was beyond the local adult demographic that knew the character locally in Seattle from his appearances on the local SNL-like "Almost Live."

24. mackiecat

mackiecat Active Member

Corbin- shirtless-hum I watched his skipping movie just for those scenes and the boy can move :hat1: and for a skating twist he is Elladj Balde's lost twin

25. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:cheer: The new season begins in a half an hour! (EST)

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

how poor is abc that they had to close the lounge? with all the contestants clustered around tom on benches, it looks like the mickey mouse club with old people

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I agree the 'anti' lounge concept sucks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  28. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Beauty and the Geek.......love it!

29. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Usually the football player is pretty good, not this one

30. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Missing Gleb. Anyone know why he is not on?
    I am enjoying not having to watch all that running up the stairs.

In the past I'd occasionally see they would rerun an ep on a Saturday or maybe it was a Sunday. I suppose if enough want more shows, they could do a taped recap and maybe some not shown footage or whatever in whatever timeslot it was they were filling with the rerun. It may also help to take a second to state a few bits of technique that the judges will be watching for in the categories for that particular show.

Am I the only one having a little trouble hearing some of the speaking? It could just be me, but I wonder if they don't have the sound production just right to pick up some of the dialogue if the person is not being loud.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013