Dancing with the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jkl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

What age group does Pandora currently appeal to? Ally comes across as older than Gabby imo; I'd see her more attractive in promotions related to young people. Among figure skaters, Michelle got "brand ambassador" type endorsements + stuff that appealed to grown women, Sasha got lots of ad placements related to that Citizen watch endorsement clearly geared to those with bucks and the beef campaign, and Tara did work for Limited Too (young teen clothing) & some other ads that seemed to be very youth directed.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Based on their ads- Mom's, so 25-40? I've never seen a person wearing one.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think 25-40 is about right, but I have friends in their later 40s and 50s who have Pandora bracelets and frequently give them or charms as gifts. And I have a couple of 60 year old friends who have the Brighton versions (hypoallergenic). Signing up someone like Aly would possibly be a grab at getting the tween market.

I think Aly is more visible to me, but her endorsements may not be as lucrative. I think Gabby has Nintendo and Kelloggs. I don't use gaming technology and I don't buy cereal so I don't notice her ads. But her contracts may be for more $$$$.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Gabby also has deals with AT&T, OPI and P&G, although she had P&G before the Olympics.

5. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I think we're all keeping our eye on this with Kristi Y in the back of our minds....wasn't it a matter of controversy that she didn't get the endorsements that an American Oly gold winner should expect? And wasn't the speculation because she is Asian?

Gabby is so adorable, and attractive, that any company that takes her race into account has bats in the marketing belfry, but who knows.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I do think that comes into play -- Kristi won gold, but Nancy (bronze) seemed to have more magazine covers back then - and it was in the middle of a Japan bashing phase here. But now Aly has 2 golds and a bronze and Gabby has 2 golds. In the US, AA is supposed to be the jewel in the crown, but the focus has been more and more on the team each Olympic cycle. It is not like Aly has a silver only, but is getting more attention.

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i wonder if people who arent us remember which teen won what medal in london. i am not sure the general public knows or cares anymore, not that they ever knew or cared much. but i think the scoring and code changes in gymnastics have alienated the general public. even hard core gym fans concede that the code increasingly makes the sport really fug.

i also remember carol yamaguchi saying that people dont understand that many offers arent suitable. i dont know if she was just saying that to be nice. but i can see kristi being selective.

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It could just be age-related, or rather appearance of age--you wouldn't have, for example, WANTED Tara trying to market something to the 25-45 market. No one would buy her as a "mature women" when she won the OGM. Gabby LOOKS younger so I would see having her market to the tween-teen demographic.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

That's hard to say. I think the days of a Dorothy Hamill making millions from the gold medal was long gone by the time Kristi ascended the thrown. I also don't think Kristi had the bubbly personality and looks that were appealing to a broad group of advertisers. Mirai Nagasu would've done very well if she had won the gold in 2010.

10. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think Aly benefits from being the oldest member of the group and very mature and professional in all her dealings, which means she can market to an older demographic, and she also has a KICK BUTT agent. Seriously, the talents of her agency still baffle me to this day. They inked her SO many high-profile deals months and months before the Olympics, so I'm not surprised she's getting premium deals now. It also helps that she's one of the sweetest, most unassuming yet incredibly hard working gymnasts out there who never has had anything bad said about her as a person. Her bars and flexed feet, maybe, but not of her as a person. ;) There's no drama, no controversy, no family problems or loud-mouthed coach. Her largest indiscretion to date was swearing on camera while at Worlds in '11. ;)

Anyway, she's not the only one to be getting endorsements, although she does seem to have gotten more than the others. Gabby has quite a few very nice deals as well as doing some high-publicity things such as the First Lady's fitness challenge. McKayla just inked a deal with 7-up that is apparently going to be very big; I'm expecting TV commercials and stuff (apparently they are the ones to sign on McKayla's "impressed" face, lol). Jo has some deals (Kelloggs, AT&T I believe) but she seems to be settling into a more private life right now; whether that's by choice or not I don't know. And Kyla is retaining her NCAA eligibility so no endorsement deals for her.

ANYWAY. I'll cap off this lengthy post by saying that I've been on Team Aly for years and I'm thrilled that she's gotten the opportunity to do so many fun and amazing things after her big success. She's one of the hardest working gymnasts that I know and she deserves every bit of success that she's gotten. I look forward to seeing her on my TV two nights a week for a long time! ;p ;)

Smiley0884 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Cast photos.

Quote from DH about Tristan:
    Ok, Dorothy, which male skater are you referring to? ;)

13. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Actually, the marketing approach used by team Tara impacted her endorsement-wise to an extent because they did exactly that, tried to market her to adult women, and it didn't work for her. I remember reading that the manager of the Olsen twins wanted to brand and market Tara in a similar manner. However, her agent and parents wanted to market her to the more lucrative 24 years old and up market and refused to target her to younger girls. It simply didn't work. Tara was 15 and looked about 12 when she won her OGM, and that's not a look you can sell to adult women. The approach somewhat backfired, and ironically, one of Tara's biggest endorsements ended up being "Limited, Too," which dressed the age 7 to 13 market.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's interesting Yazmeen - considering the Olsen twins are enormously wealthy and influential and can now do anything they want, it's a shame Tara and her people didn't listen to them. Tara probably could have done a tidy business in straight to video skating movies and kid-friendly merchandise, even headline a short tour of Disney-type shows, and still do SOI and pursue more adult market opportunities. As the whole pro skating world fell apart, it could have been the foundation on which she built a real brand that might have found her in a very good position today.

15. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I never particulary thought Kristi struggled with endorsements. I was very young when she won Olympic gold (I was only 8 at the time), so I may not be the most accurate in regards to her endorsements, but I seem to remember her being in Wendy's commercials for years. She still seems to do much better now with endorsements than more recent champion skaters.

Maybe Tara could have made more money had she targeted the right audience, but she still seems to be plenty well-off today.

16. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Just saw Dorothy and Tristan interviewed on Good Morning America. Their first dance is the "contemporary" one. Both said it was new for them. Dorothy was saying that since SOI is over she will concentrate fully on dancing. Nice interview and they seem to be a solid partnership.

17. danceronice

"Contemporary"? What is this, "So You Think You Can Dance With the Stars"? I wish they'd stick to relatively straightforward dances the pros know....

18. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

It's the worst kept secret in years but Bachelor Sean was on Good Morning America today. He is the 12th member of DWTS this season. Peta was with him. Catherine was there also. She said it would be a traditional wedding followed by Sean saying it would be on TV since that is how their romance began.

19. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Also meaning .... we want ABC to pay for it. :rofl:

I also don't like the contemporary theme on DWTS. I want to watch actual ballroom dances on DWTS.

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I bet the Bachelor's second dance will be the Paso Doble so that he can be shirtless :)

21. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

:lol:

22. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I've never seen The Bachelor, is shirtless a good thing?

23. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

He's Pretty. I have only seen one episode and it was this year. He is memorable.

24. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

With a little more than 24 hours before the premiere I am curious as to who will go first?:lol: I know a lot of "stars" have huge fan bases while others don't. Who do you think will go first? I don't know what kind of fan base Andy Dick, Lisa Vanderpump and Victor Ortiz have.

25. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

This. Leave the contemporary flailing crap to SYTYCD.

26. danceronice

I'm going to withhold on hoping who goes until I see it...there have been people in the past (Jerry Springer, for one) who I've assumed were going to be disasters and they've turned out to be not so bad!

27. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Whee, one day till Aly and Dorothy! :D

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's Dorothy Hamill time!

29. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Wow Kelly looks great for being in her 40s! LOL

30. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Derek lucked out again. Kellie has a great body and good musicality. I actually liked her on AI. :shuffle: