Dancing with the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jkl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i was so excited to see jamie goodwin on my tv, they could have done cartwheels and i would think it was great
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Glad that Sean is gone.
    I doubt that either Kellie or Jacoby were in the bottom two.
  3. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I saw Sean and Peta on GMA today. Peta will choreograph the couples first dance at the wedding. She is thinking a Viennese waltz. Peta spoke quite a bit about what a natural dancer Catherine is....nothing about Sean's dancing ability.;)
  4. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

^^Does that mean Catherine will be in the next DWTS?- Anyway, I'm glad to see the last of Sean. Aside from poor dancing, he was trying too hard to be funny and it was getting stale.
    Now the next person who has to go, in my opinion, is Jacoby's mother! The first two times she took on Len were funny; now I wish she'd shut up and let Len say what he wants to say. Boo afterwards, if you must, but let's hear it first. It's bullying and I wonder if Len's losing it with Kellie/Derek was partially due to that. It could have been a scripted meltdown, I don't know. Sure made for interesting tv! I liked Val's calm, measured response to the whole thing.
    I am liking Val more and more this season. His first appearance with Kelly M. last season (the fake romance) was nauseating (to me) and left me completely disinterested in him. This time, he seems more genuine, more thoughtful about the choreo and very respectful of his young partner but never patronizing. Very refreshing!
  5. my little pony

i'd get rid of jacoby just to get rid of his mom. she needs to sit down and shut up.
  6. skatesindreams

I wonder what Jacoby's mother will do if he doesn't win; or fails to at least make the finale?
  7. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

oh good, i'm not the only one tired of mom
  8. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

The first time it seemed more spontaneous. Now, the camera keeps going over to her. Enough.
    I wonder if each season there will be a "Mom" or someone in the audience who wants the same kind of attention and camera time.
    The camera also always flies over to Shawn's fiancée when it's his turn. Enough of that too. Glad he is done and not sure what the 2 ladies shaking their behinds together had to do with showcasing his dance.

I still wonder if Wynonna would have lasted a bit longer if she'd had slower style ballroom at the start. I mean, a quickstep right off the bat for her?
    Zendaya and the 2 guys were wonderful. I am surprised more isn't made of her training in dance. Not sure what to make of Aly and Mark's dance last week where she was crawling on the floor making faces. Mark had a sore back, yet they had to come out and redo the dance on elimination night.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Since they were given hip-hop, her style, for next week, I bet it will come up. (I suspect it also helps that she's been very gracious about taking criticism, hasn't whined about how HARRRRRRRRRD this is, and generally not tried to act like she's a complete n00b.)

Meanwhile some of the others..."Afro Jazz"? Really?
  10. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

^^This!!! I love him this year. He seems more professional and is really appropriate with his treatment of Zendaya. They are amazing together.
  11. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

His first season wasn't last season. He did two seasons before that. I loved him with Sherri Shepherd. He treated her with so much respect. They were charming together.

I enjoyed when he said to Gleb, "Not too sexy. This is age appropriate." Then, of course, both of them had their shirts open. So much for age appropriate.
  12. skatesindreams

Joining the praise for Val.
    He's a terrific dancer; and has been great with Zendaya.
  13. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I'm pulling for Zendaya and Val to win this season. Not only because they're very good, but because I can't handle Derek winning again. Plus, it'll give Val bragging rights over Maks. :EVILLE:
  14. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Tonight is the fan voted dances. I only remember that Zendaya got hip-hop and Aly will be doing Afro Jazz ....whatever that is.
  15. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

There's a rumor going on TWoP that Mark's definition of AfroJazz involves jungles and monkeys. I really, really, really hope this is a rumor because if not, this could rival Domnina and Shabalin's obtuse offensiveness.
  16. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

The 10s are sure coming fast and furious
  17. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Kelly really looked like Derek's prop there.
  18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

How convenient for Zendaya that she got a dance where she already had her own teacher.
  19. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

These were Twitter picked dances. She asked her fans on Twitter to vote Hip Hop. Aly asked her followers to vote Afro Jazz. I don't know if the others did the same thing (though I'm sure Karina did NOT want Hip Hop again :lol:.)
  20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I wonder if they need a visit from Linichuk to tell them to tone it down.
  21. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Do you think Val has ever danced hip hop before? How strange that in this case, the celeb will be the pro.
  22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

But there was no reason that hip hop had to be one of the dances along with lindy, charleston and afro jazz. Something just seems odd when the celebrity is bringing her own teacher to help the pro dancer. But it's clear she's going to be in the final anyway, so it won't really impact the outcome.

ETA: tweet from Doug Razzano:

23. Lilia A

Nice dive roll, Jacoby :D
  24. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

It sure is. I love it. Gooooo Zendaya and Val!!!! :cheer2:
  25. Lilia A

Points based on judges' scores:
    1. Jacoby and Karina = 20.92%
    2. Aly and Mark = 20.92%
    3. Kellie and Derek = 20.57%
    4. Zendaya and Val = 19.50%
    5. Ingo and Kym = 18.09%

Less than 3% separating first from last. No one is safe. I don't know how big of a fan base Ingo has, but since he has already been in the bottom 2 I'd say he's toast.
  26. my little pony

maybe i was expecting too much because hip hop is sanjaya's day job or something, i already cant remember it

eta i have no idea how jacoby is in the lead unless his mom is scarier in person
  27. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Jacoby's mom really calmed down this week. Maybe she reads FSU!
  28. danceronice

Someone left the EDR TV on ABC, and I caught, by coincidence, Aly and Mark.

o_O
  29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:huh:
  30. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

:lol:
    Well that was a fun night. Time well wasted! I'm thankful that Mom was more restrained than usual. Marks for Jacoby were generous but still, he did well and is really pushing to win. Loved Derek/Kellie's numbers. I think they should be higher than they are. I did not like the Afro tribal thing but do recognize that it was difficult; just not a style I like. I am still scratching my head over the hip hop dance. I really have no idea if that was good or not but you really have to admire Val for stepping out of the comfort zone and doing it. From what I've seen on SYTYCD, I'm sure purists would be complaining that this is a watered-down version made more palatable for wider audiences but I could be wrong. It was entertaining!
    Finals won't be the slam dunk I thought we'd have. I really don't care who wins this time although it would be nice to see Val get one.
  31. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I, also, didn't get the love for Jacoby, last night. I thought his feet were iffy in the Argentine. And, I don't think they were in hold once for the Lindy. I know that's not a dance where you have to stay in hold, but...
  32. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

One thing I like about this crew is that I wouldn't be annoyed by any of the remaining 5 winning. I think the women are better than the men, but none of them have done anything to really annoy me and they all seem to work hard. Zendaya has had the most dance training, but she's also the youngest and that has some disadvantages too.
  33. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I didn't get the Aly love in the Rhumba or the Jacoby love in the Argentine. I guess in the Argentine, I was just looking at Karina, so if he was partnering her well enough that he did not stand out, it is not a bad thing. And I don't think there was that much Lindy in the Lindy, but he was fine in it.

Having just seen flamenco done by a professional company last Thursday, I didn't think Derek and Kellie were very good in the flamenco. But her tango was better than Jacoby's I thought.

Aly was good in the Afro Jazz, but we couldn't decide if it was offensive or not.

I can't remember anything Ingo did.

I thought Zendaya and Val messed around too much before getting into the quick step, and I hated the music for it. So frenzied. I was pleasantly surprised by him in the hip hop. She was good. It wasn't a blow you away routine though.
  34. danceronice

I haven't remembered anything Ingo did for the entire season. He's utterly forgettable.

I don't know if Aly and Mark were OFFENSIVE (was there any dragging by her hair?) but at the very least what I saw was in poor taste. Of course, so what that "caveman" trio thing (was that last season with Derek and Shawn?)
  35. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I could understand if some were offended. I wasn't a fan of it and hated the trite nature of the costumes. The dance, costuming, lighting, etc., was nothing more than a stereotype and caricature of what it could have been.

Mark has been different this season. He does not seem to speak or even do more than just take up space at times. I realize that he's been hurt this season with his back and whatnot, but he has just seemed a little disinterested or disassociated with the show.
  36. skatesindreams

Ingo isn't at the same level of any of the other potential finalists.
    However, he works hard; and has a good attitude about the experience.
    It makes me root for him, even though I doubt that he would finish higher than 4th.
  37. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Ingo is not in the league with the other finalist, he tried hard, but I won't miss him. Am just not feeling the love for Ally/ Mark. Jacoby has grown on me and I would like for him to be #3. With Kellie #2 and Zendaya #1. (Kellie/Derek's programs were better than Zendaya/ Val last night, but still I love to watch Zendaya/ Val) Love, love, love this pairing.
  38. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

39. my little pony

i dont think ingo is any worse than jacoby. but i think ingo and kim have more of a rapport than jacoby than karina so if i had to pick one to stay, i'd pick ingo.
  40. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Wut.

How do they plan to do that? I know that you can have the results of voting in very quickly; when the BBC hosted a singing "audition" show they would film the performance and results show back to back with a short break in-between for voting, although they did air the results portion the next night (cut down on production costs, I'm guessing). But if they want to combine dancing and results in the same night, the show would have to get a lot longer, and I don't see that happening.

The only other thing I could think of would be to eliminate the losing couple at the beginning of each show, but that would be just cruel to make a celeb work their butt off for a week and then not get to perform. Ugh, I hope that's not what happens.