Dancing with the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jkl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:rofl: I pretty much said the same things tonight, only not as eloquently as you did! That's why I'm so glad Tony won last year. I bet they weren't thinking that Melissa would turn out as good as she was.

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

They were on Good Morning America, this morning and Wynona said she told producers she would only do the show if Tony was available.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I had heard that before the season started, also.
    Originally, I thought it a complement to Tony.
    However, given her attitude, it was just a reflection of her ego, and sense of "entitlement".

4. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I do think that Tony and Wynona got along well which is not always the case on DWTS. I saw the interview and she pretty much said that she was a singer and not a dancer but that she wanted to face her fears. She is anxious to get back to recording her album and performing for her fans.....who were obviously watching The Voice.;)

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah--I do not believe the "they now eat a healthy balanced diet and are also naturally small" given the way they seem to go through puberty (something that gets delayed by being underweight/lacking a healthy amount of body fat) the instant they retire. I suspect looking at height there's permanent stunting of growth, though. At least they now look less emaciated while competing...

I watched this week but didn't bother with the results show. I found I actually didn't care THAT MUCH.

6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

That can happen, however I know several female athletes who grew very late. They stayed small - height and weight - didn't begin menstruation until 18 or 19, then suddenly grew. Some, even without increasing their caloric intake.

7. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Not really objectionable, but she seemed more interested in promoting her upcoming album than in speaking highly of her DWTS experience as most outgoing stars do.

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've said all along, Wynonna doesn't have much of a "fanbase" anymore. That's not to say a lot of people won't buy her album; they might, if only for old times' sake. But she hasn't been a major name in country music in about a decade and a half.

9. heckles

She tried reuniting with her mother a couple of years ago, but Naomi is nuts. "Mama, He's Crazy" should have been "Mama, You're Crazy." Better for Wy to focus on her solo career even if she's selling less.

10. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

When you're the musical talent at a Disson Skating show, as she has been a couple of times, it means your music career is no longer high impact. :D

11. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Agreed. Although I think in terms of raw talent she outweighed (no pun intended) most of the country Barbies singing these days. That does NOT include Miranda Lambert, whom I adore.

12. heckles

Wy shows emotional depth when she sings and that connects her to the audience. Some of the young blondes don't emote. Carrie Underwood sings Stand By Your Man like she's mocking it.

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

We both like Kellie Pickler, and now we both like Miranda Lambert? That's it, I'm taking you country line-dancing with me next time I go. :D

14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

to be fair, it's mockable

15. heckles

Careful now, I'm sure the spirit of Miss Tammy can still lay a good country-fried whuppin'.

16. skatesindreams

To be fair to Miss Wynette, the world; and a woman's options, were very different when she wrote that.

17. heckles

I admire Miss Tammy for standing by her husband. All five of 'em. :lol:

18. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I admire her for making a $$$$ on that song regardless of her personal feelings. :lol:

19. heckles

That she did! The doorbell at her mansion played the song. :D

20. danceronice

My coworkers at the restaurant where the kitchen radio was on the local country station if the boss was there (which I didn't object to, except it meant hearing the same songs over and over and over and over) want to know how come in "every" Carrie Underwood song some guy's dying.

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

As a lifelong country fan, more and more I'm disturbed by how much country music uses domestic violence against men as a form of female empowerment. It isn't just Carrie either (although some of the dead men in Carrie's songs are tragically lost too- it appears to be her hook.)

22. danceronice

Yeah, it was a statement when it was "Independence Day" (and it wasn't portrayed as necessarily a GREAT thing all-round), now they're distrubingly chipper about it....

23. heckles

Hey now, the avenging victim makes for many a country song and Lifetime movie. In the old days, the wife directed her ire at the other woman rather than her cheatin' hubby; think Fist City, etc.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  24. danceronice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bj1HcZrltg

For those who remember this spotlight performance by Jonathan and Anna in tribute to Standard dancer Julia Ivleva--I'm sorry to report Julia lost her battle with cancer early this morning. This is hitting the US dance community rather hard....

25. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Beautifully done. This dance reminds me why I am missing Anna so much this season.

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:( Such sad news about Julia.

And what a moving performance by Jonathan and Anna. Just beautiful.

27. skatesindreams

What a terrible tragedy; and beautiful tribute.
    May Julia rest in peace.

28. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I saw an interview with Kellie Pickler. She and Derek will dance the rhumba tonight. Kellie's husband will sing while she is dancing.

29. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Should be interesting. And Aly and Mark are doing Contemporary; I can't say I have high hopes but they might as well get it out of the way. :p Still mad that their Cha-cha got "wasted" on the first week; I always like to see those danced later on because they're so much better.

30. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I read online that Lisa fainted in rehearsal this week. Wonder what that is about?