Dancing with the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jkl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I think it's without question some of the Eastern European gymnasts of old were on something that kept them from growing and developing. As far as the Americans, I think they merely starve themselves. If you have minimal body fat, your body doesn't produce as much estrogen. Witness the fact that anorexics don't get their periods. Once female gymnasts start eating normally and have normal body fat, they get their periods and grow boobs. Aly is still a svelte young woman, but compared to her Olympic body she has blossomed considerably. I think Shawn was fairly round in terms of hips and boobs even when she was competing in gymnastics. Her development seems less extreme.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I don't "love" Andy.
    However, I do see how hard he tries; and that DWTS seems to be an important step in the "rehabilitation" of his persona.
    He seems to care about giving his best effort.
    That will get him votes and keep him in the competition beyond what his dancing deserves.

With others, such as Wynonna, you wonder if she wants to be there.
    She seems to have underestimated the amount of work that would be expected, in order to be successful
    Her personality doesn't engage the audience and make you want to root/vote for her; as with Kirstie.

I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed.

3. Nan

Nan Just me

Wynonna barely moves her feet and when she does, she is either just walking or she stomps. I get the feeling that she thinks if she waves her arms around at times and bobs her head, she thinks she's "dancing." Have we ever seen her break a sweat in rehearsal?

I don't know that it surprises me.

4. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

You know who I like that I didn't think I would? Gleb and Lisa, and it's not just because Gleb is really cute, lol. Lisa has a wonderful sense of humor and works hard without whining and I just enjoy watching her. And yeah, the fact that Gleb is REALLY cute and nice doesn't hurt either. I hope they make it the furthest out of all the "bottom feeders".

5. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Wynnona is almost as bad as Master P. It seems like she's not trying. Has she given any reason why she's holding back? Back pain, or something?

6. skatesindreams

She has issues beyond the show. (husband disabled due to accident)
    I don't know whether she concentrates as she much as she should while on DWTS.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sometimes, it works for skating, too.

I think that a lot of celebrities mistake the type of training and stamina needed for the show. Singers who are on the road and living crazy hours doing multi-hour shows or actors who spend staggering amounts of hours on TV and movie sets may think that this translates into dancing hours a day. The athletes, the cheerleaders, and the backup dancers understand the demands and the pacing a lot better.

No longer keeping body fat to a minimum and supressing the hormone system/menstruation will do that.

There was a NYCB corps member who stopped dancing in the late '80's or early '90's and was interviewed as a follow-up. She said she was a student at Columbia, gained 20 pounds, and was never happier, and she still looked like a slender civilian.

There's a reason the Russian and French ballet companies check out the physiques and gene pools of the applicants to their training academies: they're looking for 8-year-olds who will not have to fight against their body types after the company has invested years in their training. Dance and sport in most places is self-selecting; with the break-up of the Soviet Union, aside from a few elite ballet academies, there are few places who run selection and training like China.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  8. pixie cut

I think Wynonna has a massive ego, doesn't really understand her physical limitations, thinks she should get praise and points for trying and doesn't actually look at what other people are putting on the dance floor. She's probably 50 pounds heavier than Kirstie Alley was when she started the show, not to mention what Kirstie weighed when she finished. Kirstie trained a lot before she even started dance rehearsals and then really gave the rehearsals her all. Plus, I think she may have done some dance training her youth, because she could move. She seemed to have an excellent sense of her body and movement. Wynonna is clueless by comparison.

9. skatesindreams

Did Wynonna ever watch Kirstie?
    Somehow, I doubt it.

10. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Wynonna just doesn't look like she's enjoying herself. Neither does Cheryl's partner (I forget his name). I can overlook a LOT of flaws if the celeb is working hard and is enjoying their time on the show. Andy doesn't necessarily look like he's ENJOYING himself but you know he wants to be there so badly and he seems to be putting his all into ever performance, so that works for me.

Kirstie wasn't the best dancer by FAR, but she worked her BUTT off and gave everything for every performance. THAT is what captivated people so much.

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  11. skatesindreams

Spareroom, ITA.

12. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Wynonna doesn't seem to be able to move her facial muscles much less any other parts of her body.

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  13. pixie cut

Andy Dick doesn't look like he's enjoying himself in the rehearsal footage, but I think he does look like he's enjoying the performances. DL seems to have some issues. For a comic he's got no sense of humor about dancing, which is what you need most of all on this show even if you're a decent dancer.

I think people were also captivated that she far exceeded expectations. She's known as being a bit nuts and flaky, and when she came out of the gate so strong week one people were pleasantly shocked. Okay, I was pleasantly shocked. How she stacked up against the best DWTS celebrities was shown in the All-Star season, where she was kind of disappointing. But back in season 12, she won a lot of people over by her attitude, determination and entertainment value.

14. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

It reminds me of what happens on every Survivor reunion show -- so many of them get fat within a few months of coming back to the States.

I attribute it to the fact that when a person's body has grown accustomed to having very few calories, suddenly introducing additional calories can cause rapid weight gain. In the context of DWTS, it is strange, because most celebrities on the show LOSE weight.

It does make me sad to see ex-gymnasts gain a lot of weight. I wish someone would have a candid discussion with ALy, Shawn, Nastia, Kim Zmeskal, et al. to ask them how they view their weight gain, and what it is like to have to buy bigger jeans. I guess they would each have different answers....

TOPIC: I enjoyed the pre-prom "regualar" dancing all the couples did. That football-player can really move! A lot of the stars looked good dancing their own styles.

15. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

So between Wynona's fan base and D.L.'s fan base I think D.L. will go home. I can't imagine Victor the boxer would have a big DWTS fan base but I am guessing his score will keep him in. His contemporary dance (whatever that is) was lovely.

16. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I gave all my votes to Victor. He deserves to stay a while longer.

17. skatesindreams

I don't think that Kirstie worked quite as hard during "All-Stars" as she did during her first appearance.
    Did she think that her fanbase would carry her to the finals?

18. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

She probably knew she didn't have as much of a chance in the all-star setting. I think she still tried, but it's easier to work to the max (no pun intended but heh) when you really believe you have a shot.

19. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Prom King Jacoby and Prom Queen Zendaya are safe...no surprise there.
    Kellie safe also. Somehow D.L is safe which worries me for others. I guess he got sympathy votes since Len
    was so harsh with him.

20. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Craaaaaaazy HBC :p

21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

"Seven Nation Army" is dead to me. I just saw it danced to. :yikes:

22. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Sean and Victor safe.....Lisa and Andy are in jeopardy.

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Very cool Stars of Dance. :)

24. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Aly and Sean safe. Wynona is in jeopardy.

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

somewhere naomi is wuzrobbing herself of front row closeups

26. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

WOW Wynona is gone. I really thought her fan base would keep her but I guess her very low score did her in.

27. pixie cut

Maybe they sensed how unhappy she was. I'm surprised, but pleased.

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

im surprised too. wasnt she safe last wk before dorothy quit? maybe her fan base didnt think it was critical to power vote.

29. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Does Wynonna still have fans? Were they attracted to her bubbly personality? Her love of dance? Her work ethic? She made Kate Gosselin look like a bouncy happy puppy.

So glad that face is off the tv. Poor Tony must have run over some producer's dog. It's the only explanation for who he gets stuck with most seasons.

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I missed Wynona's exit speech. Did she say something objectionable? I only ask because Brooke and Tom had the weirdest expressions as they closed the show.