Dancing with the Stars Season 16

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jkl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Poor Dorothy :( Withdrawing due to injury is something that I don't want to see anybody have to do. I know the chances are next to nothing, but I really wish that they'd invite back all of the couples who have had to leave the competition early and haven't been able to go as far as they possibly could -- Dorothy, Misty May.. Jewel & Nancy O'Dell never got to perform. Just an invitation back whenever they are healthy and up for the challenge would be a nice gesture, IMO.

2. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Dorothy,classy as always, withdrew before someone had to leave the competition.

3. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Poor Dorothy. My heart goes out to her. :wuzrobbed If withdrawing can save her ability to skate, as well as to just live without yet another medical problem, it will be worth it.

4. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Did the doctor call her at 9:55? Or was she hoping that she'd be the one going home? Knowing the show, they knew well in advance but hid it for the drama.

I'll miss the always classy Ms. Hamill. Still a role model. :)

5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Oh no!! Why couldn't they have given Dorothy a Waltz as her first dance! :wuzrobbed

Well, I think its pretty much going to be Disney Girl and Kelly (Kelle? Kellie?) for the Final 2. Aly and Jacoby (because the football players always do well personality wise) will be the dark horses. The rest are meh.

And it amazes me how much Val dances like Max! Yeah they are brothers, but just because they are brothers doesn't mean they would move exactly alike. Its amazing how they dance almost exactly alike, right down to how they hold their heads and bodies and move their arms/hands and legs/feet. I keep thinking I'm watching Max dance! Can they call Max back and have Max and Val do some kind of side-by-side solo number? :)

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

What a shocker at DWTS tonight! I don't normally watch that show, but I was going to because Dorothy was in it. It was very classy of Dorothy to withdraw early enough to save someone else's spot. I am so sorry about her spinal injury. I would have loved to see her elegant dances. I am not sure who to root for anymore. Kellie looked very good, so may be her.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

So sorry to see Dorothy and Tristan having to leave. I do think she has tons of class, but she had trouble walking so it's not like she could've danced next week even if she had wanted to continue.

8. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I love Dorothy and I was hoping she would do well. I just don't understand why she signed up to do this at all when she already had back problems.

The stupid local dance instructor who comes on our local morning news every week to critique the dancers said basically it was no big loss because she wasn't a good dancer. Uh....................she was already in pain and couldn't practice. Didn't he watch the first week?

Ha. This is the same station that, while discussing "Rain" that is here in Dayton, one of the anchors said her favorite Beatles song is Imagine. I don't think she's going to be hearing a John Lennon solo song during the show tonight! Kids today. ha ha

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I read a while back that Misty May wants another chance at DWTS. She was campaigning on FB for it.

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

No Dorothy. :( Makes it an easy choice now to watch the Voice. They beat DWTS in ratings both nights.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm sad for Dorothy. I wish her a complete recovery.
    Unlike some others that have appeared on the show, she really wanted to be there.

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

While I allow that I didn't find her "contemporary" all that world-beating either, at risk of sounding catty, is he a six-week wonder from Arthur Murray? It's not like there are a bunch of future Blackpool finalists on DWTS.

And yea, call me cynical, dbell1, but I had the exact same thought. The doctor called her ten minutes before the show ended? I have no doubt since she was able to appear standing up the producers asked her to come on and go for a 'dramatic last-minute reveal', plus allow them to show who were the bottom couples.

13. skatesindreams

I'm sure that they didn't have material ready to fill the time; so, needed to proceed "as usual" until the end.
    Even if that were the case, Dorothy handled the situation beautifully.

14. danceronice

One thing DWTS's producers have NEVER had an issue with is finding fluff/padding. This looked more dramatic, and I'm sure she made it a condition she got to do it nicely and not in a random or tacky way.

15. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

There's no justice in the world when the delightful Dorothy exits our screens and Skank-ira remains.

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Tristan deserves a ringer next season, if there is one!

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ITA!!! Tristan's so cute and talented. It might have worked beautifully with Doro too if she'd been healthy physically.

Awwww ... :( Well, at least there are lots of Dorothy skating clips on youtube.

Dorothy Hamill is class, class, class all the way. It's DWTS' loss that Dorothy had to pull out. Even hobbled by her body's aches and pains, Dorothy's heart and spunk were clearly visible. Tristan is top-notch and very sweet (he's great with all of his partners). I love the way Tristan and Dorothy interacted. They looked so good together! A waltz from them would have been so lovely to see. Maybe when Doro is healthy, she and Tristan might get together for some fun, private lessons. That would be so cool. :cool: If nothing else, DWTS should consider having all the contestants who had to pull out early due to injury come back sometime for special show dances.

I was definitely pulled back to watch DWTS this season because of Dorothy. Anyone who thinks Dorothy can't dance, simply doesn't know Doro and never saw her skate either. It was simply that her body wasn't going to allow her to do all the rigorous training required. I'll bet due to the show's schedule, the training is much more rigorous than the average ice show. Doro has a history of arthritis and obviously other aches and pains due to a lifetime of athletic performance, in addition to the difficulties of having an older body that is simply unable to bounce back in the way that younger bodies generally can.

In any case, most figure skaters will be able to do well on DWTS because they are used to performing choreographed moves and they are athletes. Look at Kevin Van der Perren, Evan and Kristi. The difference with ballroom vs skating are the feet and the upper body positions required of certain dances. However, most athletes are able to catch on fairly quickly. Witness all the ballplayers, gymnasts, Apolo Ohno, and also Kellie Pickler. Kellie is a former cheerleader and an onstage performer (she looks to be a fit athlete who also knows how to perform in front of people, plus her ace in the hole is Derek Hough -- Derek is a great dancer, teacher and choreographer ... but he always seems to luck out too with his partners). Kellie definitely looks like a professional dancer out there already.

Zendaya is simply a marvel. I've never heard of her before, but she's very precocious and she seems talented and graceful beyond her years. She does have an extensive performance background, singing, acting and dancing (but ballroom is different from other styles of dance). Not a bad partnering with Val, but Zendaya might have looked even better with Gleb who seems a bit taller. It was funny how Zendaya seemed to feel on the defensive about being the youngest. She said she just wanted to prove she could keep up with the older contestants. That was funny because clearly Zendaya doesn't realize that everyone probably secretly wishes they were sixteen again, or maybe that they had her gorgeous sixteen-year-old body combined with their own adult brains. :lol:

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Con: Dorothy is gone.

Pro: I don't have to DVR the show anymore.

19. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Kellie Pickler has any dance experience or not? She almost looked like a pro.

20. danceronice

Feet, and...um, really, unless you've done both seriously, it's kind of hard to explain how different the body use is. Though I think it is probably easier for skaters to learn to dance than dancers to learn to skate (not that you can get them onto the ice...chickens. Been trying to convince people for ages a skating party would be the PERFECT studio outing...wimps. At the very least it would stop them making ill-fitting skating analogies to movement in Standard dances.) Especially if you don't ACTUALLY drill serious technique THAT hard (as they don't on DWTS where they're going for speed. With the Standard dances, there are people who can do things like spend twenty minutes on toe releases. Why? I don't know. This is one of the many reasons I am just not a Standard girl. Which is kind of funny as I can be figures-era anal about things like MITF...) I would think the biggest advantage is similar to the advantage you get being a hip hop dancer or a Pussycat Doll---you are used to learning physical information relatively quickly and thinking about how to use your body in ways that aren't really natural.

And just raw discipline. Skaters and dancers from other styles (and here's where the general athletes come in) are used to being told "We have practice from 9-11" and knowing that means show up and WORK. That's not just physical discipline, that's mental discipline. Coming in with that already installed is a huge help.

21. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

^^Quite a lot of skaters also take dance. It has been my experience that ballet, modern, jazz, etc help tremendously with upper body in skating. The only problem is, as you said, the feet. While a dancer is usually pointing their toe (and I think skaters, especially ice dancers should be as well) skaters standing feet are not pointed. And skaters typically bend their knees. It has also been my experience that ballet, et al, helps skating but the reverse is not true. Except for the presentation training aspect.

Wonder if they would ever consider an ice dancer for DWTS. Maybe not, because it is based in ballroom.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  22. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Yeah, I think it would be just one step too much into ringer-ism. Even if they haven't done anything specific in ballroom as part of their training (and I think quite a few elite ice dancers have at some point or other, if only as an adjunct to specific choreography in their programs), they certainly have knowledge about the rhythms involved.

Not that the CDs always seem to be such a great reflection of the ballroom equivalent, from what I can tell.

23. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Personally, I think that it has more to do with fan base/name recognition. Even with all of the recent sucess of US Ice Dancers, dance is still not creating skaters with national name recognition.

24. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Oh, I would bet Tanith (who was voted favorite Oly athlete on the ESPN site in 2006) would be a great vote-getter. But I agree, she's too close to real ringerism for DWTS.

25. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I should check his credentials, but I think he is the owner of a dance studio that has been in the area for a long time. He, and a former Bengal cheerleader, are the "experts" that they trot out every morning after a DWTS show or elimination. He usually has pretty good insights and picks. And he is certainly old enough to remember Dorothy's skating career. Maybe he's just disappointed that she is not Kristy Yamaguchi (considering Dorothy is old enough to be Kristy's mother). I didn't see their critique after the first week, so I don't know what he thought then. I just thought the comments after she left for medical reasons were awfully cruel.

26. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Profile from internet (guess he might know what he's talking about a little, but being from Poland, maybe is not familiar with US figure skating before Kristy) -- originally from Warsaw, Poland where as a young teenager he began his ballroom dancing career competing in International Style Standard and Latin. During this time he won several titles in both the Latin and Standard divisions. He also taught and competed in wheelchair ballroom, in which he would lead paraplegics in specially made wheelchairs. In 1995 he established the first Wheelchair Dance Federation in Poland and became its first vice president. In 1996, he won the Wheelchair Ballroom World Cup in Holland with his partner.

After numerous championships throughout Europe, he came to the U.S. in 1998 and worked briefly in New York before joining the Dayton Arthur Murray Staff. He then rose to great heights winning the World Arthur Murray Rising Star Smooth Championship in 2003. He has also performed with the Cincinnati Pops and Symphony Orchestras.

27. danceronice

The Euro titles actually mean more than an AM championship, which is kind of a Mickey Mouse title--those are closed events so they're not competing as Open Pro, only against other AM pros. Usually an AM champion would get creamed in an Open event. But depending on who he was competing against and what exactly he won (Youth titles are nice, but it's not on a par with Open Amateur or Open Pro) he's not totally uninformed, just being pretentious (and clearly giving the dancing ability WAY more weight than DWTS tends to deserve....)

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I've only seen the second episode, but now I understand why the silver lining of Hamill's withdrawal is the return of Gleb for at least one more week. Did they scour the planet looking for a Russian who looks a little like the young Tom Cruise, only much more :swoon: and :grope:? I hope Tristan gets a lot of work doing numbers and being brought in by another pro to help his or her charge.

I loved how Karina brought in that group of girls to whip the football player into shape. I love the football player, more than any of the past players. At least this week, he had stature and nice musicality. I was surprised at how agile the Bachelor guy was. I really liked Kellie's form, but she doesn't have much going on the diagonal or spiral: she's a straight up-and-down dancer and I found her a little stiff. The Disney girl is very talented. I can't believe that Aly Raisman is going to make me like Mark Ballas. I just want to hug her.

29. danceronice

I think we'd have gotten Gleb another week anyway (and I don't really like Russians as a rule but when he keeps his shirt on and avoids the five-o'clock shadow look Val seems to love...my my, they found a NICE one). Look at who you're forgetting...I really do think going by the look on his face Victor was sure he was about to be eliminated and I think of everyone concerned, he's least likely to have any fan-base crossover, and so far, there's nothing about his personality that's making me remember him. That's usually a bad sign.

30. skatesindreams

Dorothy Hamill will be interviewed on "The Doctors" this afternoon about her withdrawal from DWTS.