Dancing with the Stars October 8

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jkl, Oct 8, 2012.

1. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Sooooooo looking forward to Gilles and Peta's Bollywood next week!!! :cheer2:

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Exactly what kind of dance style is "Broadway"? Chorus line? lol! Now I'm sad because we won't get to see it.

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Helio :( First elimination that hurt.

Some of the celebs really lucked out. Melissa's jitterbug was what the judges chose as her breakout dance last week, Shawn did an excellent mambo her season, and Apolo and Karina both won with hip hop frees. (I was thinking maybe Apolo and Karina gave Melissa and Tony the jitterbug as a thank you).

I was really hoping Emmit would get contemporary, lol. I'm sure we'll hear about how his is the most sensual bolero evah. Val seemed really happy to get contemporary - does he have background in it, or does he just think it means he gets to roll around in a bed with Kelly like Erin and Maks did in their freestyle?

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'll miss Helio, he had a charm about him and I enjoyed seeing him dance. There were definitely others who should have gone before him, but he probably would have been off in a couple of weeks so it's not a "shocking elimination." I don't dislike Sabrina, but I don't care much about her either, so I'd also perversely enjoy seeing the judges freak out if she left early in the season again.

5. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

After watching tonights double elimination do you think there might be a bias among voters against those celebs that have already won DWTS?:confused:

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I don't normally watch DWTS. I just watch a few dances sometimes. Tonight I got lucky and was able to see the top 3 scoring dances. They were WOW! Shawn & Derek were incredible in their athleticism and musical interpretation. Kelly & Vic were awesome in the Paso Doble, and Melissa & Tony were great in the Samba.

May be I will start watching this show. Having the all stars has really raised the quality of the dancing.

7. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I was afraid to say this last night, but since Kirstie already said it I will too .... Maks totally looked like a drag queen in that wig! :rofl: He looked so .... I don't even know what the word is I'm looking for. He did not even look like himself at all, at least not to me he didn't.

Can't believe Bristol is still on (well, yes I can). Based on dancing it should have been Bristol and Kirstie going tonight in my view, even though I like Kirstie, she's not as sharp as she was in her season.

:wuzrobbed that we won't get to see what kind of Broadway number Helio would have pulled off. I bet it would have been entertaining!

And what the heck is Bolero anyway? Of course I know the music, but its a dance style too??

8. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

9. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Anna is not the shortest female pro, Chelsie is. Helio is slightly taller than Drew, but neither is particularly tall.

In terms of height pairings, Bristol would go much better with Derek and Shawn would be a much better fit with Mark, who is either the shortest male pro or second shortest with Louis being the shortest. I actually think they're about the same height.

We don't really know all of what happened between Mark and Bristol, but I'd be really curious about Mark not showing up for a rehearsal. If he had it covered and some else was there to replace him, okay, but if he just didn't show then that's not good. Something is off with Mark this season. As always, I hate to defend Bristol, but maybe she's right. He stuck up for her throughout season 11, but maybe he's just not that into it this time. I think it is about Shawn. The producers never would have paired him with Sabrina because her participation wasn't known until a month after the initial cast was announced. It was entirely possible Kyle or Carson could have taken that 13th spot, so it would have been Lacey dancing instead of Mark. Producers wouldn't have risked not having Mark, as I believe he's perceived as being popular with the viewers.

I don't really get why Bristol continues to be so weak. She's young, she's fit, she's got a solid amount of experience in front of TV cameras at this point and she's capable of moving. As long as people are voting for her anyway, I wish she'd find a way to not be the worst.

As for Kirstie, I don't get why she's so weak. She's in vastly better shape than season 12, but she seems to be utterly inept this time around.

Thank goodness we don't have to endure Broadway next week. Everything else seems fine, although Kelly and Val doing contemporary could be a train wreck. :yikes:

10. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Mark said- twice- that he was sorry he was late for rehearsal. Late, not didn't show up. She's the one who said he didn't show up.

I just figured at the time he was late and she got tired of waiting and didn't stick around. I still think that's how it probably went down.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The look on Bristol's face was priceless.
    She really seemed surprised to have "survived" elimination..

12. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I thought he admitted that he didn't show up. First he said he was late, then Bristol said he didn't show up at all, then I thought he agreed.

She should have been shocked. Two much better dancers went home. And I don't think she is really trying.

Kirsty does seem to be having more difficulty, this time. But, age is not our friend!

13. skatesindreams

I don't think that Bristol has the ingrained "work ethic" that many of the celebrities do.
    They want to do as well as they possibly can; for themselves, and for the public.

The effort required is an alien concept for her.
    You have to want to do the work, also.
    I doubt that she does.

14. pixie cut

I disagree. I actually think she comes in and works hard. I think she doesn't understand the concept of performing.

15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Frankly, I think she's just too young/immature/inexperienced to "get it." It's still all about her. She just doesn't seem to understand teamwork or making adjustments on the fly to get the desired result.

16. skatesindreams

I'm not saying that Bristol doesn't work; just that the amount of effort put forth by an actor/professional dancer is in different category from what Bristol is able to do.

I agree that she doesn't understand "performing".

17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

... Bolero IS a rumba (as in international rumba, which is very highly stylized and grown out of competition, and American or 'box' rumba which originated as a social dance.) All three are related to Cuban son. Bolero is characterized by elongated movements and dramatic upper-body shaping. It's part of the five-dance American Rhythm style (American does usually get the other dances, like Argentine, "American" paso and samba, merengue, etc dumped on its day at a comp, but Bolero's one of the five that matter, along with cha cha, rumba, triple-time swing, and mambo.) It is ALWAYS slow (relatively speaking)-for bronze the tempo's permitted to vary between 24-26 mpm, for all other levels it must be 24 mpm. (For comparison, international rumba is 26 mpm at its slowest, American rumba is 30-32, as fast as international cha cha.)

If we go with the dance-as-romance analogies people start out with, cha cha is flirting, Am. rumba is seduction, Bolero's going all the way. It feels...stretchy to dance. It's gorgeous when done well. It's comic in a bad way when done poorly. (No prizes for guessing how I feel *I* always look..:scream:) Which is why I'm kind of worried. I cannot see this being something Emmitt takes to like a duck to water.

And again--Bristol's got good technique. She's okay playing to the cameras when that's ALL she has to do. But VERY often when she's dancing she gets that ZOMG PANIC look--what the others have isn't a work ethic, it's either innate skill (some performers just are born with it), or learned skill of just powering through when you realize something's gone wrong. There's a difference between talking to a camera (any person can talk) and having to perform a skill with which you're uncomfortable. A lot of the male athletes in previous season who haven't excelled tended to express this with the 'shuffle' look--you can't perform when you're self-conscious. Bristol does her best in closed hold, which tells me right there--when she basically CAN'T go wrong (Mark is not going to LET her, but he can only control that in closed), she doesn't panic. When she's suddenly sent away and has to perform without instant feedback, she gets that frozen look. (The one thing that some people do is the reverse--relax when they're doing separated work, choke in closed because you're suddenly under each other's feet.)

18. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

To me, Bristol looks as if she doesn't quite know all the steps. I don't know whether it's a performance issue - she's scared she'll forget something - or a practice issue - she hasn't put in enough time to make the steps come automatically so that she can think about how she does them.

Kirstie, on the other hand, looks as if she doesn't really care if she makes a misstep or two; she's more concerned with the how she's presenting them than the what of the choreography.

I don't mind losing Drew but Helio should not have gone home while those other two are still there.

19. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

America, seriously why is Bristol still dancing?

Kelly has really improved since her first time on the show, She is getting my vote for most improved dancer, WOW!

20. Nan

Nan Just me

Drew needed to go, but Helio could have stayed. Bristol or Kristie should have been out. I enjoyed Kristie last time, but for whatever reason, she's just not cutting it for me this time.

21. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Bristol and Kirstie both have huge fan bases. I'm sure we'll see both of them around longer than they technically should be because of this.

22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

As cruisin said, the age factor could be part of it. After all, at 61 Kirstie is nearly 20 years older than the next oldest remaining contestant (Emmitt at 43) and is from 24 to 41 (!) years older than all the others. As someone who is near Kirstie's age, I can attest that many things I once did with ease, now take considerably more effort (and the final result is not nearly as good). :( I think she's holding up fairly well so far, even though I agree that she seemed to have more "something" when she first was on the show.

I didn't mind that Drew was eliminated, but I enjoyed Helio and would have wanted him to be around a bit longer.

23. pixie cut

I believe Sarah Palin still has a fan base. Not sure Bristol does, but she's clearly still benefiting by association.

Kirstie has a huge fan base? Really? So that's why she's back on Dancing with the Stars and not doing any of the other many projects she claimed came her way after her last time on the show.

24. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm talking in terms of being compared to Drew, Helio et al. You know, as in referring to the show itself since this is a thread on the show and not on their careers as a whole.

25. pixie cut

Drew has little or no career at the moment. He desperately needed a boost from this season.

Helio still has a brilliant racing career, but I imagine DWTS was a nice diversion for him. I'm sorry to see him go, but when compared to celebrities like Gilles, Melissa and Emmitt he was not very effective.

I would say Kirstie's "fans" are inline with the show's demographic, but I'm betting they'll run out before Bristol's do.

26. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Bristol has the advantage of both her (and her mother's) fan plus the Vote For The Worst crew. She'll be around awhile.

I hear Kirstie has signed up for a new sit-com on cable coming out soon.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Sarah's "fan base" honestly have more important voting they're thinking about right now than DWTS. I suspect it's votefortheworst that's helping out the most. Really, I'm probably a LOT more tied in to the vast right-wing conspiracy :rolleyes: than people on FSU and no one cares about DWTS.

Kirstie...I would vote for her over Bristol, because when she freezes (and NONE of them are doing their routines on full automatic except maybe Shawn, who already has a routine-memorizing skill set) she just says "The hell with it" and hams it up. Bristol actually has good technique when she doesn't panic, but when she DOES forget something, you can see it in her eyes that she's fixating on it. It happens with newbies (and everyone on the show except the ones who've gone on the tour are newbies) and it can be hard to get over. Think of it like in skating, learning to get up after a splat and skate the rest of the program like it never happened. Bristol's still in the "Oh god, I blew that part...gotta be perfect now OH GOD ANOTHER MISTAKE". Kirstie is just like "Oh well HEY LOOK AT ME I'M DANCING WITH A HOT GUY ON TV!" I'd keep her a week longer than Bristol just on that.

28. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Right, Kirstie looks like she's enjoying herself, despite any mistakes. I'd much rather watch her have fun than watch Bristol look like she's about to die every time she goes to dance.

Btw, did anyone watch the "recap" show before the eliminations where they showed some unseen behind the scenes clips? I nearly died of laughter when Maks had to ask Kirstie what "androgynous" meant. Poor guy.

29. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Sarah's fan base is more personality driven than politically driven. Her fans actually have a fansite where they boast of the many different ways they managed to vote for Bristol (one person voting by Facebook, twitter, multiple phone lines, etc.).They did the same thing the last time Bristol was on, as well.