Dancing with the Stars October 8

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jkl, Oct 8, 2012.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, at least the pros who draw jitterbug, WCS, Charleston, etc will be just as lost as their celebs...except merengue, you can teach a monkey merengue in about five minutes.

The evil, Hunger-Games-ish element is going to be picking dances for your opponents. Now, do you risk alienating voters by trying to sabotage your competition by giving them something evil? Do you try to be nice/appear nice by giving them something you think they'd like, meanwhile winning votes?

2. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I got a phone call when Tom was explaining this new challenge, so I missed what he said. New styles, but someone else picks for you--not just a random draw?

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I believe Mark has been more accommodating to/supportive of Bristol than any other Pro would have been.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Eh...maybe than any other pro currently on the show, maybe. Definitely not than those who are experienced real-world pro-am teachers could manage (hence my maybe, Tony or Jonathan might be better dealing with a true average-person beginner since they've done that for real. Heck, Corky, if he turned off the TV persona, would have some frame of reference.) And someone else said it--he didn't deny he'd rather have Shawn or Sabrina, which again is I'm sure how he legitimately feels, but not very helpful for her. I'm sure Bristol's aware that there are plenty of viewers who just hate her, most because of her mother (whether they admit it or not), some just because she's not a "real" celebrity, some because they think she's terrible (again, not even close to the worst ever on the show or in the bottom five if you judge on the dancing and not the ability to sell a routine.) Having a pro who on some level wishes he were dancing with someone more competitive isn't good for the psyche on a normal day, forget when you've got a chunk of the viewing audience who violently loathes you and the producers aren't doing you any favors with the editing (especially "Worst breakdown, most dramatic rehearsal ever"? We're pretending Kate Gosslein never happened? That's discounting the rumors that were never broadcast--Hope's alleged fight with Maks, Jaleel's alleged diva behavior.)

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I liked that song.:rollin: Does anyone know what it was?

6. skatesindreams

Did Bristol agree to participate in "All-Stars" only if Mark were her partner?

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that band makes songs completely unrecognizable

living on video by trans x

8. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

You can doubt that Bristol belongs on this show without hating her, since she is neither a star nor a good dancer. I have felt the same way about Kate Gosselin, the Situation, and most of the other "reality stars," except maybe Melissa Rycroft because she could actually dance.

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

10. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

You know who looked happier last night than I've ever seen on that show? Tony. He was thrilled with the scores he and Melissa got yesterday, and their feedback about the choreography and performance. After suffering through Gosselin, he deserves a great partner like Melissa.

11. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Bergeron mentioned it was once used before.

Joanna Krupa & Derek Hough Futuristic Paso Doble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nidCOkGVa_4

12. my little pony

i think the band did a better job on the joanna/boy hough version

13. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

He didn't deny it on the version that was shown to us. I hate to defend Mark, but the show took an argument that was obviously longer than the allotted time and edited it down.

If he did not deny it at all, I still maintain that there is a tactical move in that. Bristol had already decided that she was right in her perceptions. He wasn't going to change her mind. The moment had already passed for him to explain that he was happy to dance with her, as he had to know that her fan base would carry them for a while and make him money.

I'm curious about the missed rehearsal statement. I know early on in the show seasons that many of the pros had help. So while Edyta or Cheryl might miss a rehearsal for something show related (media, costumes, group numbers, etc.) that there was a person to work with the celeb. Again, the show did not broadcast his answer to that accusation. Maybe he was at the doctor and things ran late. Maybe he was 10 minutes late and she only waited 5 minutes. Maybe he was spray painting graffiti or attending a tea party meeting.

Judging on what was shown to us, all I saw was Bristol acting like a petulant child with Mark showing some signs of a life. I would have felt better about her had her argument been based on his crap-tastic choreography of the fake quick step and how that affected her scores. Instead she showed herself as very immature - You like her better than me.

That would require a level of self awareness that I'm not sure that she totally has yet. Not many her age do at this point. She, like others, refers to someone who dares to be critical of her or dislike something about her as haters. That's not exactly the vocabulary of someone with a full understanding of their own abilities or the perception others have of them.

14. skatesindreams

That's how I feel about Bristol and the other "reality stars", also.
    Bristol was only invited to be on DWTS because of her mother; and has remained a presence largely because her mother's supporters have voted for her.

I don't hate Bristol.
    However, she's hardly an "All Star", IMO.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That is a possibility. I think Emmett Smith said he would participate only if Cheryl were his partner. Before he committed, I read a quote from Cheryl that she wanted Gilles to come back and dance with her again.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. skatesindreams

I wish that scenario had played out.
    They had a magical partnership; and I wonder what more they could have done together.

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I suspect the producers "ranked" their potential talent and offered partnerships based on the rank on that list. Lower ranked celebs got to choose from who was left.

18. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

It seems like Shawn said at one point that she was surprised not to have Mark and I can understand his disappointment. Maybe Derek ask for Shawn, although I agree this is a good pairing (Shawn/Derek). I don't dislike Bristol, just don't think she should have agreed to the show. Yes she may stay on longer because of the voting, but when the better dancers start leaving before her the hating begins. She is making $$$ so it's hard to feel sorry for her. I'm not feeling the love for Sabrina or Gilles or Kristie this time, but I do like Kelly and Melissa and Helio and Apolo. Can't remember who else.

19. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Random but I was just thinking it would be so cool if they did a challenge where the celebrities had to dance with each other, choreo'd by their pros, once they have an even number of men and women.

Something like this....
    Gilles/Kelly (hotness factor)
    Helio/Melissa
    (Helio/Kelly and Gilles/Melissa work too!)
    Apolo/Shawn (Olympians)
    Emmitt/Kirstie
    Drew/Sabrina or Bristol

Obviously some of these will be eliminated tonight.... but I think this would be really different. They would not be able to rely on their pros to lead them through the dances. Melissa danced with Joey Fatone once for a design a dance, and it was ok, but could be done better if it's for competition.

20. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

That design a dance with Melissa and joey was a disaster. I do not see them going there.

While trainwrecks can be watchable, An entire show of trainwrecks becomes uncomfortable to watch.

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I'm not suggesting it as a trainwreck... being that it's all stars, I think it could actually be done well. Apolo/Shawn could be amazing together, IMO. And since doubling everyone up takes less space in the show, it would have to be done on a night where they dance twice (once with pro), so it wouldn't be an entire show of trainwrecks.

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

One article I read also mentioned that some of the pairings were due to height. Drew was the shortest male celeb so they paired him with the shortest woman. If not, he might have had a partner taller than he was.

23. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Interesting. I never would've pegged Anna as the shortest pro. She has such extension, it wouldn't have occured to me.

24. Capella

Capella Guest

I watch the 8 p.m. show that was a replay of last night with some "truth booth" interviews. Finally realized who Maks in his Jagger outfit reminded me of -- Maurizio Margaglio circa '98-'99 vampire. :swoon:

25. Capella

Capella Guest

Results show: first elimination group: 4 teams-- Melissa & Tony, Kirstie & Maks, Gilles & Peta (we find out his zipper was down and he noticed it while at the top on the wire, able to fix it before the dance started), Cheryl & Emmitt.

Melissa & Tony safe, Gilles & Peta safe. Cheryl & Emmitt safe.
    Kirstie & Maks in jeopardy.

26. my little pony

go lacey! i feel obligated to put a dollar in her cleavage

27. Capella

Capella Guest

Next group to find out results: Shawn & Derek (judges gushing), Apolo & Karina, Anna & Drew (Drew: "Still don't understand the judges' scoring. ... Maybe next time we'll get the scores we deserve."), Kelly & Val.

Shawn & Derek (got encore) and Apolo & Karina both safe.
    Drew & Anna in jeopardy.
    Kelly & Val safe.

28. Capella

Capella Guest

Remaining 3 teams awaiting their fate: Bristol & Mark, Helio & Chelsie, Sabrina & Louis.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  29. Capella

Capella Guest

Oh.... Now they are telling us between Drew & Anna and Kirstie & Maks. Lowest overall and going home is... Drew & Anna.

30. my little pony

i'll miss anna

i love panda face's dress