Dancing on ice UK

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Rosier Juleps, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Rosier Juleps

Rosier Juleps New Member

I am not a big follower of pairs skating so hope others on here can provide some insight.
    I watch Dancing on ice which is on the UK's main commercial channel ITV. It has Torvill and Dean as the main trainers and Robin Cousins is the Head judge. unfortunately Katerina witt is being axed after just one season.
    They have recently announced that several of the pro skaters will be axed and new pros introduced.
    The pros leaving are Frankie Poultney, Nina Ulanova, Matt Gonzalez, Brooke Castile, Jodeyne Higgins, Sean Rice, Lukasz Rozycki and Alexandra Schauman. (shame I really liked Frankie)

They are being replaced by Robin Johnstone, Jenna Harrison, Andy Buchanan, Olga Sharutenko and Michael Zenezini. These names mean nothing to me as I don't normally watch pairs skating. Can any one comment on whether these skaters are worth watching, what level did they reach, etc:

I know I can google to get basic facts on them but facts don't tell the whole story. to me skating is about emotional connection as much as talent. a skater can be brilliant technically but still be boring to watch IMO.

thanks in advance for any insight given.

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Olga Sharutenko appeared on one of the earlier seasons. She has toured with the Imperial Ice Stars for many years. She was a Junior World Champion in ice dance (I think 1995). Having seen her quite a few times in the Ice Stars show, she is a beautiful skater. Also a lovely person, having met her a few times as well.

3. Rosier Juleps

Rosier Juleps New Member

thank you for the reply

4. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Michael Zenezini used to ice dance when Delobel/Schoenfelder were junior. He even skated with Nathalie P├ęchalat and then with Delobel's twin sister.
    From youtube, he also skated somewhat pair with a former national medalist, Carole Azario.

5. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Seems like you also have in line Sylvain Longchambon ! Wow that brings back memories from quite a while ago... nice to see he is still around, even at the end of their competitive career they (wilth partner Caroline Truong) were including pair moves in their gala programs.

Any possibility to watch this program online ?

6. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

7. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Is Maria Fillipov still on the show? She as one of my coaches back in the 90's.