Dance with Dragons has a release date!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Call me cynical, but I am not holding my breath.

3. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Me neither, but this might make me finally read the last book in the series, which is lost somewhere in the overflowing midden heap of unread books under my bed.

4. Hedwig

I think this time is different as it is not a date set by bookstores but by GRRM himself and he is a burnt child as well.

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

One of my coworkers is also a big fan of the series and forwarded the article to me. I guess all the people who mentioned the upcoming HBO series as a good motivational factor were right. I don't really care why he's finally finished up the book, I'm just glad he did. And, all the talk about 'every time someone asks about a release date, GRRM kills a Stark' can finally be put to rest, too. And, we're running out of Starks to kill off :p.

6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm an avid reader and I've never heard of these. I just bought the first 2 for my Kindle. I guess I'll get started soon :). They must be something special if readers are desperate for another sequel. I love book series.

7. Hedwig

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, clarie.

But beware, there are people out there who warn about starting to read them because then you will be counted among the thousand frustrated fans who will have to wait several years for the next sequel. ;)

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I haven't read this series but really enjoyed Martin's Fire and Ice series (and loved his original vampire tale Fevre Dream). It's another one that has seemingly been abandoned, I've been waiting about six years for the next or final installment - I think it is the final and I skipped the last one because I didn't want to wait forever for the final. I'll have to reread the other books when the series is done, but will enjoy that.

Would be a good idea not to read this series because it will cause the same frustration? Or do the books stand along?

Sometimes authors completely abandon a series - this happened with the third book of Melanie Rawn's Exile series, the second was published in 1997 and I never expect her to finish it. Ditto Anne Bishop and the next installment after Sebastien and Ephemera - she's gone back to the Black Jewels series and apparently the last few books are terrible. These and the Fire and Ice are all excellent, so it sucks to have to wait. Especially since I seem to be running out of good series.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  9. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Exactly. That's not the first time a date has been set. And each time, it was cancelled 2 weeks before the book release.

So this time, I'm gonna wait for it to be in stores. Before, no hopes !

10. Hedwig

Japanfan, this is the Fire and Ice series. He hasn't abandoned it but he seemed to have a lot of troubles with the last two books.

The release dates before where never set by Martin and he was always disgrunteled with stores like Amazon to set them. That is what is different now. He set the release date himself. :) So you may hold your breath. ;) Winter is coming!! :cheer:

And it isn't the final. There are two more books to come. "Winds of Winter" and "Tales of Spring" I think they are planned to be called.

11. Japanfan

Right - I didn't click on the second link and thought it was another series by Martin. . .shows just how out of touch I am with the series. And I'm sure he said there were only two more books after the third or fourth one. . .

It's possible that Martin might not live long enough to finish the series, given the pace he's going at.

Is this the fifth book? I suppose I might go back and read all five again if I get stuck for good material.

12. Hedwig

I know. I am afraid of this for years now. But he has outlined the last two books now. (part of the reason it took so long)

This book now is actually the second part of Feast for Crows that came out 6 years ago.

All in all, seven books are planned so after this one (book 5, part 2), we are still waiting for another two.

13. Japanfan

I've got that on my book shelf, so it's the last and I've obviously read it. Progress has been even worse that I suspected, I thought he had written one more since then.

In my lifetime, possibly - if the books have been mapped out there is reason for hope, though not for excitement.

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Maybe not; I have owned a copy since it first came out, but have never read it. I just haven't been in the mood. Perhaps it's time.

15. Japanfan

I know I've read it because I enjoyed the series enough to purchase and save the books - I use the library or buy second hand for most books and only my favourites stay on the shelf. ..

But I'd say it's not time, given that there are three more in the series yet to come. I think I might retire my four. ..

And am wondering if I saved the first seven or eight of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series, which I retired to the garage while getting wearing of waiting for the next book. . .now that series appears to be drawing to a a fitting end in the next year or so (completed by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death). Looking forward to rereading the entire 13 books, before I read the finale. That should keep me busy for six months to a year.:)