Dance Boots?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by iDanceonice, Feb 7, 2011.

1. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

I've recently been having LOTS of foot problems with my Jackson Elite Dance Boots, and I've been told from other ice dancers at my rink that this is pretty common. So, after numerous trips back and forth to the skate shop with no luck, I've decided it's time for a change. I've been recommended Graf boots. Does anyone have any experience with these? I know I want to go custom, since I'm at a higher level and have fussy feet. What do you guys skate on, and what do you like? I'm hoping for any and all input I can get!

Oh, and not that it matters, but I'm curious: does anyone know what kind of skates the top ice dancer use?

Thank you! :)
  2. backspin

backspin Active Member

I wear SP-Teri dance boots, w/ customized cut-downs in back (had the back cut down lower by about an inch). I like them, but have to majorly pad my ankles, as they press/rub on tendons & don't get better.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, I didn't have a problem with the Elite Dance other than needing orthotics for my arches, but the alternative suggestion my fitter said he would give me as far as brands went if I'd needed it were SP-Teris. He wasn't a huge fan of the Graf boots (thought they broke down too fast) and Reidel isn't an option for me so it was never brought up (they'd have to build the whole boot from scratch to fit my foot, not worth it when the Jacksons fit as semi-custom.)
  4. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

Interesting you should mention this since my skate guy said the same thing, although he thought they were worth it since the fit would be much better. I'll talk to him about SP-Teri's though, as they sound like they might be a good option.
  5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problems with my Jackson Elite Dance boots but that is not to say that others wouldn't. I do have a couple of pressure points on them but just use a couple of pieces of stubby holder (wet suit fabric) that I put against them.

So what are the problems you are having?
  7. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Riedell's break down too fast for me. Only wear custom Harlick. I made the mistake of not getting the higher heel to offset the shorter blade. Just made the choctaw in the Quickstep a little interesting but I still managed to pass.
  8. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

I've been getting constant rubbing on my right heel for the past, despite wearing Bunga pads, and Band-Aids every session. I've tried lifting the heel, with no luck. Recently, though, I've had sharp pain on my left ankle whenever I bend in my skates, specifically where the tendon meets the ankle bone. It's quite bruised and red now. A senior ice dancer showed me her ankle (she's got the same problems with the same boots), and her ankle seems to be even worse than mine, completely black and blue, and incredibly swollen. She can barely skate on it. I'm hoping mine doesn't get THAT bad :yikes:

OTOH, thanks everyone for all of the responses so far!
  9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Oooo that sounds nasty. Glad I don't have those problems. Having skated on Risport many years ago which constantly hurt my instep I know how frustrating it can be to skate on problem skates.
  10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

In my club (ice dancing), many has Graph dance, but they told me it was really really tight, hard to broke.
    That's why I'm still with my Wifa artistic.
  11. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the left boot is just too stiff, or that as it has broken in, you might need to tie it tighter through the foot and ankle, then a little looser at the top? Or would it help to get it punched out? Kind of scary to think it could get as bad as that other ice dancer's ankle.
    As for the right heel, it's good that you are going to get customs, since that will take into account the width of your heel. It sounds like you might need a narrower heel than you have now, to keep that heel firmly in place and keep it from rubbing.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  12. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

The skates are pretty old now (2 years), so it might be that they are breaking down quite a bit. I've had them punched out several times, with no luck unfortunately. I'll try tying them tighter through the foot and ankle, and looser at the top. That might help a little, at least until I can order the new custom ones. Thanks for the suggestion!
  13. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Hope it works out for you! I sometimes get that same thing right on that tendon by the ankle bone, but it only seems to happen when my boots are at that stage of break-in where they are no longer as stiff through the foot. If I don't start tying them more snugly through the foot and ankle at that point, my feet will move around more from side to side inside the boot and end up pressing against the one tighter spot: the stiff upper ankle area of the boot.