Damages Season 4 Premieres 7/13/2011!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by VIETgrlTerifa, Jul 9, 2011.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I hope I won't be the only one on FSU watching this show when season 4 premieres on Wednesday, July 13.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, Damages is a legal thriller surrounding high-stakes litigator Patty Hewes (played by Glenn Close) and her protegee (Rose Byrne, recently of Insidious. Bridesmaids, and X-Men: First Class fame).

What separates this from other legal shows is that every season only follows one case and it's part legal drama and part mystery. It also goes back and forth between flashbacks and the present-day so most of the show is in flashback and you're trying to piece the puzzle with scenes taking place in the present revealing another piece. It's also rare in that for a legal series, there are very few courtroom scenes as most of the show centers on character-driven storylines and behind-the-scenes machinations. The action of the previous season also carry over to the following season as there is a lot of unfinished business between the Glenn Close and Rose Byrne characters that carry on to the next season. For me, every season is like a novel and every episode plays like a chapter.

I also love the fact that they take comedic actors and let them play dramatic roles with surprisingly excellent results. The first season dealt with a large class-action suit against Ted Danson (his best acting, IMO) for insider trading and stealing from his employees. Season 2 has Close reuniting with Big Chill co-star William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden and deals with an environmental case. The third season was a take on Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme with Lily Tomlin, Len Cairou, and Campbell Scott playing a Madoff-like family and Martin Short playing their sleazy attorney.

Here are the trailers for:

Season 1 (Please forgive the cheesy movie trailer voice-over).

Season 2

Season 3

The above clips are spoiler-ish.

As you can see from my long post that this is actually my favorite tv show and to say I was disappointed when FX decided to cancel it after the third season would have been an understatement. However, by some miracle, not only has Direct TV saved the show, but renewed it for two more seasons. Not only that, but since Direct TV is commercial-free, the episodes will extend to almost a full 60 minutes and the writers have more creative license to take the show into more explicit territory. The trailer for season 4 already looks like it's going into even darker territory than before with John Goodman playing the target of Glenn Close and Rose Byrne in a wrongful death case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5x98_u234

I highly encourage people who haven't seen it and who have a Netflix subscription to stream seasons 1 and 2 as it's available on instant stream, and season 3 is coming out on DVD on Tuesday, July 12. I promise you won't be sorry.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else followed this show and will follow it. I know it being exclusively available on Direct TV will cut it's already low viewership, but maybe loyal viewers without Direct TV can somehow find other ways to follow it. Not that I'm condoning that sort of thing, ;)

Trivia: Back in 2008, Damages became the first basic cable show along with Mad Men to receive a Best Drama nomination at the Emmy Awards.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. VIETgrlTerifa

Longshot, but...did anyone happen to catch the season premiere tonight?

It's a little slower than past season premiers, but it whetted my appetite of what's to come. The new characters have a lot of promise and I think this season might have the most engaging storyline yet.

It's so good to see Patty Hewes and Ellen Parsons on the screen again.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

Episode 3, I thought, was pretty amazing. It felt like the old Damages again and I love the direction they're taking with Ellen and Patty. It's an openly opportunistic and yet co-dependent relationship and I can't wait to see what they do to each other.

John Goodman is slowly coming alive and I love how understated his portrayal of the military security contractor is. You know the ones running Blackwater drank their own kool-aid about Islamic Jihad and how they were fighting some sort of religious crusade in order to justify their means. Dylan Baker plays self-interested and sinister really well. The character who I'm really enjoying is Tom Noonan as the private investigator Patty hired to find her son. He's like Peter Falk in Columbo...slightly bumbling and at-ease to the point that people let their guard down, but you know his mind is ticking the whole time. I love that he doesn't fall for Patty's crap, but that he's not obvious about it the way other characters, who pretty much convinced themselves that they figured Patty out (when they really haven't), were in dealing with her.

For the first time, I'm sensing a real danger for Patty and Ellen (even though I know they'll come out alright more or less) that I haven't felt in other seasons.

This has the potential to be the best season yet, I think.

4. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I adore Damages as well, but I have no idea how to watch season 4 now that it's exclusively on directtv.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

If you google some terms, you'd be able to find legit websites that have the episodes online, but it is a bit...well, illegal.

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Oh I've been trying! Nothing has come up yet. I guess I'll have to wait a whole year and watch the whole season on dvd. Watching all 13 eps in a row is a great way to watch a season of Damages, tho.

7. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I'm in the same boat. I hate that they went to DirectTV. Darn it!

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^same here. Tried Hulu to no avail.

9. Albee

Albee New Member

I'm watching it on Netflicks. So far I've seen episode 1 & 2 of season 4.
    Miss TOM terribly.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wow. Totally missed that! So, season 4 is releasing episodes on Netflix???

11. Albee

Albee New Member

They must be, or it's just the two shows....

I just started watching and I have seen 42 episodes from Saturday to yesterday :watch: The last two were from Season 4. I hope there's more.

12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

What? I can't see/find anything about streaming season 4 on Netflix and I'm a fully paid-up member. Suggestions?

13. VIETgrlTerifa

It's only for Canadians for some reason. Is it because Canucks don't get DirecTV?

I found some workable links by googling it. The ones that worked tend to be that link to Megavideo.

14. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Damn you, Canadians! You have all the luck! Universal health care, now this!

15. Albee

Albee New Member

Oh geeze - so sorry. And I just watched episode 3 last night so they are still coming! Still miss Tom though. And Ellen's character is so good in this season.