Daisuke Takahashi to take hiatus - Japan Times article

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ostile17, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

Japan Times article

OSAKA—Daisuke Takahashi will take a year off from figure skating and decide whether he wants to continue a career that has taken him to three Winter Olympics.

“I want to think it over for a year. I will not take part in any competitions next season,” the 28-year-old Takahashi said following a ceremony Monday honoring him and others at Kansai University in Suita, Osaka Prefecture.

Takahashi, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Games to become Japan’s first male Olympic medalist in the sport, competed in his third straight Olympics at the Sochi Games last February.

Although he finished sixth in what he said would be his last Olympics, he withdrew from the ISU World Championships the following month because of a right leg injury that has plagued him since last year.

“I’ve only started practicing again about a month ago,” Takahashi said. “I don’t think I could be ready for the season, so I thought it would be best if I took a break and got away for a while.”

Whole article

2. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Say whaaa??? LOL, I guess dear Evgeni can't have the platinum AND the silver medal. :p :rollin:

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

I just thought Jack Gallagher of anti-Japan Times published another crappy article since OP posted that it was "Japan Times aritcle". But the truth is it is 'Japan News' article by Yomiurishinbun of Japan. I found the original article in Japanese and the article says Takahashi won Bronze medal in Vancouver Olys. So it's a mistake in translation.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/etc/20140421-OYT1T50088.html

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

It seems US media are not the only ones that make such obvious mistakes in writing about FS. Takahashi did not win silver in Vancouver (Plushenko did); he won the bronze.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am reading this as retirement in all but name.

His injury problems seem serious and chronic and he never really had a consistent quad in the first place. I am afraid that the time has come.

Quad schmod but as far as presentation is concerned, few skaters ever showed the quality he did. His "The Eye" SP is one of my favourite figure skating programs ever. And proof that you can skate to the music, entertain the public *and* satisfy the level requirements at the same time in step sequences. Both of them were just mindblowingly awesome. :cheer:

In my alternate reality, he won PLATINUM! :drama: ;)

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Daisuke is an amazing artist on the ice. I am sure he can get many shows to perform in, particularly in Japan. He is a born showman.

8. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

I will miss him so much.

9. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I stand firm in my demand that Daisuke form an ice dance team with Akiko. :)

10. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

That'd be great, but I think the only person that Dai would ever do ice dance for is Meryl Davis :lol:

11. rosewood

It would be great, with either of Meryl or Akiko. Love to see in the shows in future. :lol:

Me also thinks Daisuke is a born showman. But I once heard he prefers working backstages such as a choreographer/coach to a pro-skater. I assume it is one of the reasons why he doesn't have his crown named show. Of course there are too many shows in Japan even now so it's difficult for anyone to start a new show. But still...he has such a big fandom. He proposed and works as a kinda insideman of the show but it's a charity one so a bit different from a beneficial show I'm talking about.

12. ostile17

Although there isn't an official announcement yet, Daisuke appeared as a surprise guest at a fan meeting of Prince Ice World show in Yokohama today, and confirmed that he will take part in Prince Ice World Tokyo that will be held from 18th July to 21st July.

According to a fan's report, since it's after a long break, he said his new program will be a slow and "body-friendly" one, and not an up-tempo one like Mambo.

Can't wait to see that!

13. ostile17

As you may know, during his homecoming celebration in Okayama, he mentioned that he would like to start a show in Kurashiki, also inviting skaters from abroad.
    Miss Arakawa hinted to him last year that she would not have been able to carry on doing Friends on Ice for ever, and she suggested that he would take her place. Now she announced she is pregnant and she's taking some time off, and many people imagine Daisuke will be more involved in the show this time.
    Of course all remains to be seen, but he may have a couple of chances if he feels up to it and if he's interested.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Does Takahashi plan to stay involved in skating as a coach/choreographer? Did he say anything about that in interviews?

15. ostile17

I don't remember him saying anything about this in recent interviews. Back in the days he mentioned he would like to start a skating school and give back to the figure skating world.
    He once said he doesn't think he would make a good choreographer.

16. FileYourBlades

FileYourBlades Banned Member

I don't like all these "established" skaters being lackadaisical, and only showing up for the big events. I will now coin it "The Yuna Syndrome". Not just Dai, Kostner and now Mao are also being infected by it.

17. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't think they are being "lackadaisical". It's only natural that skaters who have already been in the sport for many years, and have had many successes need time to think about whether they really want to continue and why. Plus those established and older skaters have had many injuries and/or chronic conditions in most cases, which means that they need more time to take care about their health and return to a semi healthy condition that would allow them to train properly and compete without huge problems and risks.

18. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Good, this ray of sunshine has been banned.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Takahashi will skate in Denis Ten's show in Kazakhstan (May 29-30 in Almaty, June 1 in Astana) - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92221-Denis-Ten-amp-Friends

ETA:
    This year's "Friends on Ice" show dates are August 22-24, 2014: http://www.friendsonice.com

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  20. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'd rather see him announce a sabattical than announce a retirement. I can certainly see why he feels the need for a break. It's just too bad that those of us in North America won't see much of him.

21. rosewood

I think (at this point) this charity show will be his first appearance after his injury.
    http://rinkai.rocket3.net/

臨スポ目標達成御礼フェスティバル
    (Rinkai Sports Center Thank-you Festival for Achieving the Goals)

Date: May 25th
    Place: Rinkai Sports Center, Osaka
    Cast: Daisuke Takahashi, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Tatsuki Machida and skaters from Rinkai Sports Center

Rinkai Sports Center has a skating rink but it was almost closed because of financial issues several years ago. Daisuke along with other figure skaters has been supportive for this rink. Skaters and volunteers asked people for donation to repair this old rink. They also negotiated with the city government. And they achieved satisfactory goals so far. So this is kinda congrats and thanks festival for it. It's nice to see him to skate at this charity festival. Congrats for everyone who worked to maintain this rink.

Thank you for the correction. It's my bad memory.

Yeah, I heard it. I hope he starts his own show in his hometown first and gradually makes it bigger, like Mao's The Ice. Friends on Ice is kinda successful show but it's still Shizuka's. Wish he'll create a wonderful show of his own if he wants. I'd love to see it. ;)

22. rosewood

Daisuke appeared in his sponsor's event(Asahi Breweries) a couple of days ago. Here's a video. The lady in white blouse is Aiko Uemura. an Olympian(moguls). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyNvLnVA8o
    Here's an article and a photo.

Shows which Daisuke is scheduled to so far.
    May 25, Osaka, Rinkai Sports Center Thank-you Festival for Achieving the Goals
    May 29-30, Almaty, Denis Ten & Friends
    June 1, Astana, Denis Ten & Friends
    June 7-9, Makuhari, Fantasy on Ice
    July 5-6, Toyama, Fantasy on Ice (sorry I can't find the official site of this show, here's the organizer's site)
    July 12-13, Niigata, Fantasy on Ice
    July 12-13, Tokyo, Prince Ice World

Daisuke's name was added to the cast of some of those shows after the first announcement of the cast.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  23. rosewood

In this show Daisuke made the come back after his injury today. His new ex program is to "kissing you"(with vocal) by Des'ree. If you are interested in the show, ask twitter with "臨スポ". ;)

As a note this rink is where Machida trained in the Olympic season. It's good for him too that the rink is repaired and won't be closed anytime soon.

ETA:
    Interview with Takahashi on 'Boomsports'(kind of Kansai Univ student paper) https://twitter.com/boomsports/status/470421426730569729
    (my rough translation)
    Takahashi: This is my first appearance in front of the audience after Olympics. I'm very happy to skate in this rink again. I'll do everything that I can do to support this rink in Rinkai Sports Center.

Interview with Machida on Boomsports. https://twitter.com/boomsports/status/470424339414675456
    (my rough translation)
    Machida: We, the city government, companies, skaters, and instructors are all hand in hand to support this rink. This ice knows everything of me in this season. I go on this ice in the next season, and forever.

According to Boomsports they're going to have press conference after today's second show. We'll see some articles then.

Sorry I don't have enough time to translate this article right now. But it has a photo of Dausuke so I post it now so that you can see the photo if you're interested.
    http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/othersports/270187/ One more photo. http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/photonews_nsInc_f-sp-tp0-20140525-1306739.html

I read some reports that "Kissing You" is a sexy program. ;) According to the reports by Japanese fans he does 3F, 3Lz, a split jump in it. In the morning show he looked nervous and fell on one of the jumps. In the evening show he looked much more relaxed and nailed the jumps but stumbled during the steps. He skated "Eye" as anchor. :cheer:

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  24. kittyjake5

25. ostile17

26. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

27. kittyjake5

Thanks ostile17! Dasiuke looks great!

28. ostile17

29. ostile17

30. kittyjake5

Thank you^. I am anxious to see the full video.

Here is one of the Kween's rendition of Kissing You (which is one of my favorite programs from her).
    I know this is a Dai thread(forgive me) but this is beautiful to watch that I wanted to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFlbL0riDE