Daisuke Takahashi on the importance of being 'gorgeous'

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, May 19, 2013.

1. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

True, he's quite a riddle! ;)

2. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

After Sochi Takahashi will probably retire, so it´s obvious why the showmanship and attracting the public are the most important things to him. In the post competitive life of a skater, which is obviously longer, showmanship counts 100% and they have to be prepared for the moment when medals, judges, scores won´t matter anymore. Showmanship=fans=shows=$$$$. :kickass:

3. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Except he also said in an interview published this season in the Japanese press that he didn't think he "had what it takes" (I think his words were "I'm not charming enough" :lol:) to be a show skater. I have my doubts he'll stay away completely for various reasons ($$ being realistically one of them, but hardly just that), but this actually echoes what he said several times about really wanting to be a coach and do something about the problem of rinks shortage in Japan

Besides, if you look at his skating, I think you'll find out that "showmanship" and skating for audiences were essential part of his skating long before retirement was in the cards (which I guess is explained both by his approach to the sport and by the approach to figure skating by his long-time coach, Utako Nagamitsu)

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  4. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Nothing I have ever heard from Dai in other interviews convinces me that he would have used either "gorgeousness" or "showmanship" to describe his own skating. He is too humble for that... and he takes his skating too seriously. Someone suggested "flair." That is at least believable.