Daisuke Takahashi on CNN's 'Human to Hero'

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by ostile17, May 9, 2013.

1. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Daisuke Takahashi will be featured next week on CNN's Human to Hero

Watch Human to Hero at these times (all GMT):
    Every Wednesday on World Sport at 1600 and 2130, and Thursdays on World Sport at 0400.
  2. momnatur

momnatur New Member

thank you!
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

It's a bit misleading that the article is titled, "Japan's golden boy on the importance of being 'gorgeous'." The word Daisuke used in response to the question about which quality every figure skater needed was "hanayakasa," which, in this context, would be better translated as "flair" or even "expressiveness" or "showmanship".
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

It is, you are right, and thank you so much for pointing that out! I cringe every time I read it!
    Even though I don't speak Japanese I was sure from the beginning that was the wrong translation. I'm used to read Daisuke translated properly so to me, the whole article and captioning feel they are not out of his mouth. It sure doesn't reflect the humbleness of his personality and all in all doesn't sound like him. I know it's not easy to catch the nuances of the language, but CNN did a very poor job on this, pity! Hopefully at least one of the Japanese fans will recap it soon!
  6. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that there are very few native English speakers who understand Japanese, so most translations from English to Japanese are done by Japanese speakers who might not be as aware of the different nuances of the English words they use. Having met Daisuke (and spoken with him in Japanese), I can attest to his humble attitude. Love him!!
  7. momnatur

momnatur New Member

Thank you for posting this update.

Now, does anyone know where I might be able to stream it (since I don't get World Sport)?

Thanks again.
  8. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

The link in this post is still working. Enjoy it! :)
  9. momnatur

momnatur New Member

Indeed it does! Thank you so much for that. And with subtitles, I could actually understand what he was saying! What a novelty.

Thank you again for the link!
  10. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

You're more than welcome!

And if you check the links in this post, you will find another beautiful program about Dai with English subtitles, and a more accurate translation.
    A must-see if you like Dai! Enjoy!
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Dumb question: Is this 3-minute piece all there is? You mean I've been waiting all this time in vain for a 30-min. video to be uploaded? ;)
  12. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Sylvia, I hate to break your heart but... yes, that is all there is! 'Human to Hero' is just a short feature inside a weekly 30 minutes CNN program called 'World Sports'. Shame on them!!
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.