Daisuke Takahashi expresses “the love” by Beatles.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in "Nikkan Sports" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Daisuke Takahashi expresses "the love" by Beatles.
    July 11th, 2013

In July 11th, Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai University Graduate School) had a press interview in Osaka (Itami) Airport before departure to the training camp in the North America for 2 weeks. As for the free program of the Sochi Olympics season which he faces with the readiness as the last in his eligible, he disclosed that he is going to skate to Beatles Medley as the theme of “The Love”.

As the choreographer, he requested for the first time to Lori Nichol who takes care of Mao Asada, too.

As for the short program (SP), he used "The Sonatina for The Violin" composed by Mamoru Samuragochi who is the 2nd generation bombing which comes from Hiroshima-city and isn't able to hear both ears and Kenji Miyamoto choreographed it as same as the time of Vancouver Olympics where he was brilliant to the bronze medal.

As for the free program which have joined to five famous music, such as "Yesterday", 27 years old Takahashi expects that it becomes "the excellent one". As for SP, he expressed as "the music which it feels the hope".

He said, “Because it is the season which may become to the final season for me, I would like not to have regrets of. And I would like to repay by the program, with the gratitude to the person who is cheering me".

In this season when begins in earnest in October, the intense conflict for representative with the young generations, such as 18 years old Yuzuru Hanyu, awaits. He told the determination, saying, “The composition of the jumps, such as the quad jump is same as in last season. I would like to overcome everybody there because the Olympics is the excellent stage”.

The article:
    Daisuke Takahashi expresses “the love” by Beatles.
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/f-sp-tp0-20130711-1155685.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6_E04Y5e84g
    Takahashi cheered Miki Ando who gave childbirth to a girl in April, saying, "It is a wonderful affair that the life is born. I think that she grows aiming at the Olympics as the skater and as the mother and show us the view of the world of Miki Ando".
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    orientalplane, mella, LynnW and 5 others like this.
  2. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Well - at least nobody can say he is not taking risks with music choice :)

I think the Beatles will suit him just amazing!
  3. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thrilled by Dai's choices (of course I am little bit biased). Looking forward to the season beginning.

Thank you so much Akira for the translation, you are the best!
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Thanks for starting this thread, Akira Andrea! Copying over 2 relevant posts from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
    ETA a third post/another link:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm really excited about Dai skating to the Beatles and perhaps Lori will help him to discover a new dimension of his musicality. I wonder if he will be listening to the lyrics? It's true that music is a universal language, but lyrics are such an important part of what makes the Beatles special.

Dai's La Strada - the way he skated it when he won worlds - is one of my all-time faves. I consider it one of his signature pieces - doesn't hurt that I adore the music, either. I can't imagine Dai delivering a better program than that, but I'm willing to be surprised.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:fragile: I really do not like the beatles and the orchestral or muzak versions of their songs that poeple have skated to before leave me :yawn: unless he comes up with something really amazing musically, if the theme is "love" I can only imagine the pieces he'll end up skating to. I'll reserve judgment til I see the programme, but the beatles was not what I was hoping for Takahashi :wuzrobbed

ETA: this could get worse - is this the year singles skaters can start using vocal music? :yikes:
  7. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

8. os168

os168 Active Member

I don't like muzak but love the Beatles and I thought this choices of songs would be an amazing tribute that suit Dai well as his farewell FS program.

Muzak are generally soulless replaying of the song in a cheapened production format without the luxury to convey meaning or purpose of the composer's intention, however from what everything I know of Dai is he hardly ever perform without having some sort of opinion on what he is trying to do with his programs (Take out that Marozov blip last year) from one year to the next. For that, he can conquer any medley problems that get typically associated with Muzak music.

One thing I do love about the Beatles is that they say complex sweet bitter things simply and succinctly; unpretentious and honest yet with their own unique flair and playfulness about the whole thing. It is something magically simple when they got it right. This is similar to what I sometimes get from Dai on a good day. Out of all the men today, the spirit of the Beatles lives on and their level of success and approach to life and music does resonant in how Dai approach his skating (a sense of play, experimental and wonder, boy rebel, superstar who enjoys the attention). Out of all the men competing today, i strongly feel ONLY Dai has the emotional and mental maturity (weathered man, career of ups and downs to be able to pick out the irony and humour of much Beatle's lyrics) to bring them justice beyond it is just another famous piece of music people heard too many times. The other being Kurt but he doesn't compete anymore.
  9. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

I guess it will be helpful to understand Daisuke's SP better that you know the composer Mamoru Samuragochi.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1000781,00.html/
    http://www.samonpromotion.com/en/monthly/index.php

His music has deep dark, but go up to bright hope. Really artistic and emotional.
    It's exciting to see how Daisuke will express it:)

Unfortunately 'sonatina for violin' is not on YouTube, but you can try to hear the part of the music.
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/ミュージック/dp/B0064FF12M

And here is his masterpiece, Symphony No. 1 'Hiroshima'.
    http://youtu.be/w49nMscVXm4
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  10. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I really like his choices. I'm impressed, and I think it suits him well. I can't wait for the season to begin!
  11. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not a Beatles fan either, but hopefully Daisuke can do something special with this music - if anyone can it's Daisuke! :)
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

13. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

Yes! So glad he got Miyamoto to choreograph a competitive program this year. (And sooo happy he's not using Morosov!) I hope Takahashi and Nichol can inspire each other to create something great.
  14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

15. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/130711/oth13071119060017-n1.htm

Translation by Twind on DTFF

Sankei News
    Takahashi up for a challenge even in his last season -- The Beatles for expressing “Love”

2013.7.11 19:04

Even for the Sochi Olympic season that he considers as time to cap his whole competing career, he still continues to be up for a challenge.

For his Free Skating Program that determines the results on its sum added together with the Short Program, he requested Ms. Lori Nicole to choreograph it for him for the first time. While he admitted that he was “afraid not being sure if the two of us would click with each other”, he still decided to take the risk because, as he says, “I wanted her to choreograph my program before I retire. I was curious how I can perform with her choreography”; his aspiring, adventurous spirit wins.

The choice of music by one of the very best choreographers grabbed his heart.

The main message of the Beatles medley of “Yesterday” and four other songs is “love”. “There are people who are no longer around me or whom I’ll never have any more chance to see. And yet I am here today thanks to those people. This music reminds me the gratitude for all the people who had ever been there for me.” He talked slowly as if he was looking back on his skating life.

There are three more months to go until the full opening of the season in October. After the in-season polishing of his performance awaits his third Olympic challenge, which he expresses to be “the best stage” (by Mitsuru Tanaka)

alilou, os168, mella and 5 others like this.
  16. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you so much for the translation. It's very much appreciated. :)
  17. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Yes this is very true. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it til I see the programme - and you're absolutely right, if one person can cure me of my beatles dislike it would be Takahashi.
  18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I didn't at first like the choice when I saw it listed, because although I like The Beatles, I had a sinking feeling that this would be Beatles music morozoved or martoned to destruction. But I listened to a clip and it sounds good. I love Daisuke, so if he has to leave :wuzrobbed: I want him to go out on a high note, whether he wins a medal or not.

Thank you so much for the translations! :)
  19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Not a Beatles fan but thank God Morozov is not cheorograghing.
  20. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

^^^^ This!
  21. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the translation. Sounds like Takahashi has a vision for this coming season and he's not afraid to go to the people he thinks can help him achieve his goals. I'm a big Beatles fan so am looking forward to seeing how he handles it.
  22. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Translation courtesy of Twind from DTFF

Sankei Express
    http://www.sankeibiz.jp/express/news/130716/exe1307161531002-n1.htm
    July 16 2013

Beatles Program is Exciting to Try

Now it’s the Olympic Season. I already had felt that the season had started in April, so I skipped any real time off except moving to my new place. I had the choreography for the Short Program, Free Skating and the Exhibition completed in Korea and Canada in May. I gradually started the engine in June, and now in July, the training in the US and in Canada is at full blast. I have a quite strong sense that time is pushing to get into the season.

“Smile even when you feel rough”

My Free Skating program for this season is “the Beatles Medley” choreographed by Lori Nichol. There were other candidates but it made an instant hit in me without listening to the others. But the Beatles, of all music, was unexpected. I was surprised myself. And it even has tango in it. First Lori suggested her favorite “Come Together” tango version but when I expressed my thought that it should be hard to do it with this one song alone, it turned out to be only a part of the whole and she suggested the medley of “Yesterday”, “Come Together” “Friends and Lovers” “In My Life” and “the Long and Winding Road”. I love all of them. For a long while, I had been hoping that I would get to skate to the music that everyone knows and something that moves hearts and shows hope. So this fits perfectly.

Lori seems to have had a tough time to decide the order of the songs. Within each of these songs there are many different meanings such as, --- people with different talents having come together, lots of moments and memories having been made, friends and ones I loved being recalled, thankfulness of the history of skating been felt and the road going on to stretch winding and turning ---. Lori said, “above all, it is about love. Especially for “In My Life” you smile even it’s for practice, no matter how rough you feel”. I use the music that is so compelling now it stirs my anxiety, “Is the guy who skates to that up to it?”

The program includes lots of elements in the technical sense too, so it is very difficult but exciting to try. It has fresh aspects that are new to me, such as the way of timing for a pause. I have been seeking for programs with movements to fit truly to the music, instead of simplifying the transition steps to make jumps easier. In this one I have none of such frustrations and I feel that I can skate helped by the music.

To be continued...

... Part 2
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  23. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Thank you Ostile for sharing - and thanks to Twind for always taking the time to translate :cheer:

So this confirms the impression left from his words ahead of his departure for the US that he feels very confident about his free program, and that's really good news. I wasn't completely sold over his skating to a Beatles medley but as the way he speaks about it really sounds like it's the right music for him at this very moment

Also have to love how he is always hungry to work and improve on his skills

And I can't friggin' wait to see this short program!!!!!
  24. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks ostille17 for sharing. I can always count on you and others to keep me updated on Dai!

Thank you to Twind for the translation!
  25. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in "CD Jurnal" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Daisuke Takahashi performs on the ice by Mamoru Samuragouchi's music which Yasuko Ohtani plays with violin.
    July 17th, 2013

It was announced that the music which Daisuke Takahashi selected for the short program in Sochi Olympics season is "Sonatina for Violin" which was composed by Mamoru Samuragouchi and is played by Yasuko Ohtani.

"Sonatina for Violin" is the music which a modern Beethoven Mamoru Samuragouchi who make a music in the dark without the auditory composed for the girl who was borne without the right arm.

It is recorded in the album "The chaconne - Samuragouchi Mamoru the string music work collection" ( COCQ-84928 ) which was released in January, 2012.

Yasuko Ohtani who is playing the said music in the album, too, is the violinist who continues an activity energetically in various parts of Japan.

She is coursing through in the whole country in the solo activity while she serves as Tokyo Symphony Orchestra's solo concertmaster and nourishes a sternway at the platform.
    Yasuko Ohtani's violin clarion on the ice of all over the world from now on.

The article:
    Daisuke Takahashi performs on the ice by Mamoru Samuragouchi's music which Yasuko Ohtani plays with violin.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130717-00000013-cdj-musi
  26. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

27. ChelleC

28. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Daisuke showcased his Olympic season FP to the Beatles Medley instead.

Unveiled his Olympic season FP to the press today, and landed several successful quads in practice.
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  29. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  30. ChelleC

31. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO Daisuke can skate to any kind of music, so why not the Beatles?
  32. vocal

vocal New Member

Great split flip. Probably in his choreo sequence?!
  33. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

34. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

35. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

:rollin: Daisuke :swoon:
  36. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:cheer::rockstar::cheer: Daisuke for 2014 Olympic Gold :cheer::cheer2::encore:
  37. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

^^^^ this :cheer::cheer::cheer::rockstar::cheer2::encore:
  38. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I will pray that Morozov leaves this program the heck alone! I trust lori over him any day
  39. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I agree. As generic or cliched an uninspired Lori can be, with the right skater, she can work magic. Morosov's routines just don't have the coherency or depth for a skater like Takahashi.
  40. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member