Czisny dealt with more than skating woes in 2010

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Visaliakid, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

If a twin has cancer, is the probability high the other twin will come down with the same cancer? Whether or not, that might have been a concern of Alissa's.

Too bad she stuck with the same coach too long. Her career might have been quite different had she changed earlier.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I think it's always easier to say something like this after the fact.

meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced. Sure, maybe she wouldn't have crashed and burned at 2009 Worlds if she had a comforting presence...but it really wasn't until Kwan and Cohen left that Czisny really had a chance at podium if she performed to the best of her ability.

4. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Sure, but Julie was generally as big of a nervous wreck as Alissa before and after competitions. She would weep uncontrollably when Alissa did well. That kind of emotion never worked well with Alissa's already fragile self-confidence. I never got the impression Julie believed in Alissa the way that Yuka and Jason do, and even if she didn't, she could have at least pretended to. There's no way Alissa would have had the same season she's had this year if she was still with Julie. So who knows if this kind of season would have been possible four years earlier if she'd found better psychological coaching earlier in her career. I never at any point thought Julie was the right coach for Alissa.

5. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

If Maria Butyrskaya could do it at 26,Alissa can too! You go girl :cheer2:

6. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

They're fraternal twins, though, so the odds of Alissa developing the same condition aren't any greater than they would be between any two siblings.

7. geod2

geod2 New Member

Uh, except for all the medals Alissa won under Julie's coaching, including winning Skate Canada and U.S. Nationals...
    ...yeah, it "never" worked well....:confused:

I recall Julie's extensive outreach to fill in for where she might be less-than-optimal for Alissa.
    But the introduction of a coaching and training entourage simply raised expections for Alissa's eventual success, IMO.

It seems likely that Julie was the right coach for Alissa for a period of time....but athlete's needs change over time, especially during periods of rapid physical and emotional development like teenage years.
    It's easy to say, and a decent argument can be made, that Julie could never take Alissa this far.
    OTOH, and without denying Alissa's incredible talent itself, who can say that any other coach could've gotten Alissa off to such a great start earlier in her career.
    Without that start, Yuka and Jason become a moot point.
    The only thing easier to say than "shoulda", and "coulda", is "woulda"....

The NYT article reminds me of how the disappointments and coaching issues were small in comparison to Alissa's own courage in dealing with them.
    In the long run, adversity doesn't build character...it reveals it.

-

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

That's true especially considering that Flatt will probably be in college full time after this season and who knows when Mirai will consistently be able to string together back-to-back strong SP and LP performances. Nationals next year will also be for anyone to win.

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This is a very valid point, but at the same time, US ladies skating is currently in a bit of a lull right now, allowing Alissa to win nationals this year easily, but I don't think it will stay like that. This year at nationals, Rachael was fighting an injury, Ashley had the flu, and Mirai had lost most of her summer training due to her stress fracture, and making her more hot and cold than usual, and at nationals she happened to have a "cold" night in the FS. The youngsters like Gao, Zawadzki, Lam, Siraj have a lot of potential but aren't quite national champion material YET. Agnes or Christina maybe could have won if the favorites all faltered, but they didn't, and resultantly those two ended up 4th and 5th. In the coming years, the up and comers will likely make the transition from being promising youngsters to top US ladies very capable of winning nationals. I expect Ashley and Rachael will be replaced at the top by young skaters coming up - if they even continue to skate competitively until 2014, and Mirai will play spoiler if she continues to be inconsistent, or if she can become consistent will likely be the leading lady of US skating until the next Olympics. As for Alissa, if she continues skating until 2014, I think she can hang in there, but I doubt she'll consistently be the top US lady from now until then, she just doesn't have the technical content and judging from what we're seeing from the Russians, technical content is going to be very important come 2014. So I think she could continue to skate because she wants to, and if were her, if she can manage to medal at or win worlds before 2014, i'd just retire then and end her career on a high note.

10. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I weeped like a baby:( My prayer's with her sister, and I surely hope for the best with Alissa!!

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Yup, plus cancer is not always caused by genes; there are environmental and other factors too.

So sorry Amber had to deal with cancer at such a young age. So glad she is doing better now.

Gooooo Alissa!!! :)

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That explains quite a bit about last season for Alissa, as even when she's had a bad night on the ice in the past, that smile was still there and her interviews were upbeat. That was missing last season and I had wondered why. This is the missing piece to all of that.

Cancer is a horrid disease that needs to be eradicated off this Earth. I'm so glad Amber's in remission and will pray that continues for her. Congratulations to her on her Marriage.

And I've said it before, but will say it again...Good Luck Alissa at Worlds!!!

13. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I don't believe it takes 11 years with a coach to realize that just maybe a change is in order. I think it was probably easier for Alissa to stay rather than leave and that is what she decided to do. In her youth, she also might not have the kind of personality to "fire" someone who had been there for them so long. It is moot though. Her career was what it was and her beauty and the beauty of her skating brought many wonderful moments to skating fans. I hope she decides to stay till Sochi,
    although there will certainly be obstacles to making the team, especially if we continue to have only two spots.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  14. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Did some research on cancer in fraternal and identical twins:

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc97/12_20_97/fob2.htm

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

From the NYT article: "Amber, who is not revealing her type of cancer, says she is in remission."

16. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Or, it could be that someone doing an "Up Close and Personal" interview showed some knowledge of the health crisis, so they decide to reveal it themselves rather than let it be a shock.

I can understand why some people would want to work through a crisis privately without telling anyone else until things were under control.

Hope Amber makes a full recovery and Alissa does well at Worlds.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Considering she'd been with her previous coach since she was a young teen/tween (12? 13?), then yes, it CAN take 11 years to figure that out. No doubt that coach is something of a parental figure (so you get attached), and during the highs and lows of adolescence it can be a good thing to have an adult who's always THERE and knows you intimately. And one goes through a lot of changes emotionally and psychologically between 12 and 22--you can't know ahead of time that the coach who was great for you at 12 won't be so great for you at 22.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article. I'm sorry that Amber had cancer but really glad she is in remission. :)
    I'm so glad Alissa stuck around for another year and I really hope she can stick around for another olympics, if she wants to.

19. geod2

geod2 New Member

I can understand ACzisney's's fans wondering and being concerned (I certainly am too).
    But I get uncomfortable when it begins to cross the line into openly trying to assess Alissa's risk, which none of us is remotely qualified to do.
    The number of various studies and research out there is ovewhelming....we could put 50 links on this thread without breaking a sweat.
    Here's one that says overall, basically no difference between twins vs. general population except in certain cases:

"CONCLUSIONS: These results are consistent with the body of evidence suggesting that twins have a reduced risk of cancer in childhood. Although there is no overall differential in adult cancer risk, these data support the hypothesis that the in utero environment may play an important role in specific cancers."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15894678

People are free to speculate, but I'd rather just simply wish her and Amber the best and pray that they remain healthy.

-

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if things have been worked out re Jason's conflict with Worlds so that he will be able to be there with her?

I have heard Alissa's mom mentioned often, but not her dad. Is he deceased?

21. geod2

geod2 New Member

Her dad is on the right, I believe, in this photo. Still alive.
    I'm sure FS would've heard very quickly if something had happened to him, as with any of top figure skater's parents.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/alissaczisny/photos/07springsummer/18.html

What exactly is the Jason's conflict with Worlds???...missed that one.

-

22. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

ISU pairs camp.

23. TwisterSister

TwisterSister New Member

24. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I hope she continues next season. I have to admit I was one of those who had written her off and was pleasantly surprised by her progress.

That was A LOT to deal with on her plate.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true. Czisny was certainly capable of placing higher than Meissner for the third spot in Torino, IMO. Looking at her results in the Fall of 2005, she won Skate Canada, won the silver at Skate America, and was the only American who qualified for the GPF (yes Kwan and Cohen wasn't there but Hughes and Meissner failed to qualify, and yes, she placed 6th, but it's still impressive). I also remember her making a big splash with skating fans and people were "oohing" and "aahing" over her spins and spirals. It seemed that she was the most complete skater competing for that third spot.

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

People were touting her for the Olympic Gold Medal based on her showing at SA and SC.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I could see that. URs were not a big deal back then, and with 4 spin requirements in the LP and stringent spiral requirements, it was easier for Czisny to score high.