Czisny dealt with more than skating woes in 2010

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Visaliakid, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Not only was the 2010 season a disaster for Alissa, but what fans did not know was she was dealing with her twin sister Amber's battle with (with an undisclosed) cancer.

Read: 'It Isn’t Over Until She Says'

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/sports/27skating.html

above Link corrected

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  2. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Great article - thanks for posting it. There's an error in your link, though. Here's a working link to the article.

I hope Alissa will stay in for a least another year. I think she's just starting to hit her peak.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

She is terrific!
    I wish her the very best.

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Wow- I had not heard that about Amber. I am glad she is doing better, and that the cancer stays in remission.

I really really want Alissa to do well at World's.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks for the article link! The article doesn't mention it, so for those who don't know, Amber Czisny got married in November 2010 -- belated congratulations to her!

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Great article, It's been wonderful to see Alissa do so well this year and I wish both her and Amber all the best.

7. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Prayers of continued health for Amber, and a great Worlds in Moscow for Alissa!

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Best wishes to both Czisny sisters.

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the article.

10. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

So sad to learn about Amber's cancer. My best wishes to both of them. :kickass: in Moscow, Alissa! :cheer2:

11. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Congrats to Amber on her marriage. All the best to the couple.
    Why disclose the health issues now and the impact on Alissa?
    Alissa has worked thru the emotional issues associated with Amber.
    Move forward. Not that I am not sypathetic....I can imagine the emtional turmoil, as many families deal with cancer diagnosis....just that Alissa has adjusted and moved forward.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  12. tlk

tlk Active Member

Nice article, thanks for posting!

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Great piece. Thank God Amber's in remission. Sounds like she and Alissa are a great support to each other.

14. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties her family has been going through,but I love her skating and I wish her all the best at Worlds!

15. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

I would guess that Amber's recent marriage, and her remission make this a good time for both to go public - it isn't like Czisny is using this as a "reason" to make the team, and since her sister is doing well, she probably is in a better place about it as well.

16. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the article. Sad to hear about her sister, but I'm glad she's in remission. I can't wait to see Alissa skate at Worlds.

17. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

The main reason could be that there were rumors surrounding Alissa and Amber for a while. An article like this can be used as a way to combat rumors and/or news that is about to break.

I am happy that Amber is now in remission. Any stress like that can play horrible games with a sibling or loved one's mind so I am glad to hear that Alissa is feeling better about the situation and feeling strong for Worlds.

18. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

I admire her so much. I really hope she kicks major @$$ at Worlds. As much as I would love for Mao or Miki to win it, Alissa winning would be AMAZING!

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I want to talk about emotional issues is after I've worked through them.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  20. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

When athletes, or performers, have an off- night, I always remind myself to remember that I have no idea what is going on in their lives, and how hard they have to fight to simply be there. Anything, from things as ordinary but distracting as a painful periods, to devastating break- ups to dealing with deadly illnesses might be going on behind the scenes.

Rottie and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Thanks for posting the good article.
    Best wishes to both Czisny sisters.

22. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The article makes it sound as if Alissa will retire after she has one personally satisfying season. Out of selfishness, I'd like her to stick around 'til Sochi. :(

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Could be, too, that Amber's cancer wasn't made public so the media wouldn't be all over it. You know it would have been used for one of those "Up Close and Personal" segments.

24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

It might be too tough on her body to do that. I mean, she's been skating for almost 22 years, it's gotta take a toll on her body at somepoint. Also, she may not want to risk not making another olympic team and all the disappointment that comes with it, because even if she does overcome her nerves and headcase ways, it's still going to be tough to make the team in 2014, especially as a 26 year old who will likely be past her prime who is competing for spots against teenagers in their prime who are hungry for success.

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

You know, Czisny's career has just been strange. Up and down, extending nearly what- 8 years? And yet, after being around for so long, she seems to be hitting her peak right about now, even though it seemed she hit her peak years ago in 2005 before crashing down.

Again, though, she seemed to take the Olympic disappointment much harder than I imagined. She didn't SEEM all that crushed at least when the cameras were rolling. Typically extreme disappointment is pretty tough to hide. You saw it with Keauna McLaughlin, she took it hard and cameras caught her breaking down in tears leaving the ice.

While I agree, who would have thought that Czisny now at 22, and being written off by virtually everyone, would emerge as the leader when we have so much young talent coming up?

You never know, really.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Her first Senior level Nationals was in 2002, so that's 10 straight years (her first trip to Nationals was as a Junior in 2001 when she won the silver medal). BTW, her twin, Amber, did qualify for Nationals before Alissa -- 11-year-old Amber went as a Novice in 1999. ;)

27. RD

RD Well-Known Member

10 years trying at Nationals. And now she's the reigning champ. Damn. Talk about a late bloomer...

But if Alyssa wants to continue on...mental toughness is key. Can't stress that one enough. She has shown that when she stays on her feet and delivers the goods, the judges reward her BIG. You've GOT to be able to perform under pressure, otherwise you may as well give it up. She seems to be getting SOME consistency at least- her "off" performances this year have not been complete meltdowns, so that's a step in the right direction.

But from what I've seen, and from my personal experience, she seems to have a good heart. I wish her the best.

28. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I can understand Alissa being so distraught after not making the Olympic team, but I wonder if she really thought she had a good shot at getting one of the two Olympic spots after her performance at Worlds in 2009? It seemed to me that the consensus in the skating world was that she'd be lowballed by the judges at Nationals to keep her off the Olympic team even if she skated well.

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well, she did win it once before...

I think staying on until Sochi was tough. I couldn't imagine missing a third Olympics, and remaining a front runner would be tough. I do hope she skates again next year though.

30. RD

RD Well-Known Member

...on her EIGHTH try. :eek:

(not to mention the controversy that came with that win, though. This time there was no doubt that she was the best.)