Cynthia Phaneuf "career announcement"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I'll miss her. :( Best of luck on your future endeavors, Cynthia! :cheer:

2. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Here's the text of the relevant portion of her statement as posted by Skate Canada:

3. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Makes you feel even worse that she couldn't have snuck in for the surprise bronze in 2010. I'd still be kicking myself for being behind the music and shortening a spin and spiral sequence....

4. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

Article in the National Post

Very interesting!

5. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I'm sure she will be a fantastic coach... I don't know her personally but I do know some who do and she is apparently a very nice and genuine sweet girl who really had to battle her way through body changes .. she had to re learn all her jumps.. just think how much she could offer to developing skaters.. she has had the most beautiful edges and lines which to me are so important with today's jumping beans..

6. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I am sad to hear this. Cynthia was one of the skaters whose programs I was looking forward seeing. I liked both her programs two years ago, they were different but each very nice artistically, and I was excited to see what she will skate to next. But then she ended up keeping both for the last season, and now she is retiring altogether. Very sad, I feel like her artistic potential wasn't realized.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Been National Champion a couple of times, been to GPF, Worlds and Olympics, won a GP and medalled at 4CCs, had a personal best at 2010 Worlds. She has had a wonderful career, especially given how injury prone she always was.

Even though she was never consistent, she was always a pleasure to watch and her programs were always beautiful (OK, except her Cleopetra :p).

All the best Cynthia.

8. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

She really has had a remarkable career when you add it all up and see how many years she has been competing for at the senior level.....I will always appreciate her elegance and presence on the ice, and those are incredibly beautiful gifts she has given to skating fans.

9. puglover

puglover Active Member

All the best to Cynthia - a most remarkable young woman.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Much luck and happiness to her in this next stage of her life. Her students will be lucky to have her as a teacher.

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I so admire Cynthia for never giving up on her dream after having to deal w/so very much during her career. I'll miss her elegance out there.

All of her future students are very lucky.

All the best and luck in the World to one heck of a classy lady!!

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So that somebody actually knows about the press conference and turns up to it.

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Sad about the circumstances leading to Cynthia's decision to retire, but glad that she'll be coaching in the Phila. area (in Southern NJ)! :)

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Aw. . . it can't feel great to retire just because of injury. Best to her in her future endeavors!

15. minx

minx New Member

She is going to be a fantastic coach. She pays attention to all the detail. Good luck!

16. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Cynthia as she begins the next stage of her life in Philadelphia.

I'll always remember seeing her winning 2004 Canadian nationals. She was so happy after the SP!

17. victorskid

At the press conference yesterday Cynthia received flowers from Patinage Québec; jewellery from new SC sponsor Thomas Sabo; and a frame National Team photo from the Skate Canada. That presentation was made by SC President Benoit Lavoie and former teammate Shaun Sawyer. There are photos on the Skate Canada Facebook site and in the one with Benoit and Shaun you can appreciate her height ;)

18. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I'm so glad that Skate Canada did this up right for Cynthia. She deserves this recognition, so having to wait a couple of days for the announcement is fine by me in order to see this athlete be celebrated for her years of contribution to Canadian skating. Her grit and determination in fighting her way back after her first win and subsequent growth spurt are an excellent example to other younger skaters and I'm glad she's going to be sharing that expertise as a coach!

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^^ How nice!

There was no one like her on ice. I too will never forget Cynthia Paneuf:)

20. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  21. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Wow - do they do this for every retiring national champ?

22. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I'm going to miss her, but I'm also excited for her. I know Cynthia will do a great job as a coach. Wishing her the best! :respec:

23. sequins

sequins Active Member

Not likely unless you were Elvis or Kurt or Shae and Vic etc. and I'm not even sure then otherwise they probably gave you a kick in the ass and told you that you were a disappointment (remember Susan Humphreys?) lets hope they are wising up. Anyways Happy Retirement Cynthia! Have a happy and wonderful life!

24. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

But that is not how it's really done, especially for a lite celeb like a Phaneuf. You do get in touch with the media, but don't make a public announcement two days beforehand. You just get the two or three journalists who think this is news to speak with you and you have your story. It has been handled rather unusually. It would be similar to an AP announcement that Rachael Flatt will have a presser in two days announcing something. Really. I have no clue of Canada's state of affairs and economy, but here in America a two day lead for Rachael Flatt would not even register on anyone's minds. Just put out a press release that she's retiring.

I thought it quite unusual.

25. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Aw, back injuries suck. :( I'll miss her on the ice.

But she already has a job lined up; best of luck to her in her new path. :) Sounds like Skate Canada gave Cynthia a very nice farewell.

26. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Posters keep mentioning a press release -- issued to the public -- announcing the press conference in advance, except unless I'm mistaken, the only reason the preliminary information about this press conference made it out was because someone who did hear about it posted it here. There's no release on Skatebuzz or the Skate Canada site, nor did the Skate Canada social media outlets mention an impending announcement from Cynthia. And media alerts for press conferences do exist, and they are generally submitted to media and other relevant parties, or are tucked away on media-focused newswire sites.

My point being that there seems to be a lot of railing about the impropriety of a public-oriented announcement that, as far as I can see, wasn't actually issued as a widescale public announcement.

27. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
    Sigh... There wasn't a public announcement two days beforehand.

28. victorskid

You are correct, Lavenderblue.

Skate Canada apparently sent out a notice to media contacts advising them of a scheduled press conference. I believe this is normal practice if you actually want media to attend a press conference and perhaps even write/broadcast a story about what happens there. Not alerting the media would certainly ensure no one being there!

The news about the scheduled press conference was mentioned by the original poster in this thread. It was also referenced in two (at least) French articles which presumed the nature of the coming announcement. Skate Canada used the actual press conference as an opportunity to make some presentations to Cynthia - good for them!

Certain posters here who seem to have a very negative opinion of Cynthia, Skate Canada and its use of words (and perhaps of all things Canadian) have used this circumstance to get on their "high horse". This is rather inappropriate IMHO.

Let us agree that Cynthia achieved a lot, had lots of setbacks, and deserves to be wished well in whatever she chooses to do.

DaveRocks and (deleted member) like this.
  29. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

What exactly did they say to Susan Humphreys? Did they insult her in public?

30. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

You also seem to have no clue about how public relations and the media work. Are you really this clueless or is it an act? :rolleyes: