Cynthia Phaneuf "career announcement"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

"We're having a press conference about the national team" should be enough, especially with many of the insiders already knowing or having a good idea of what it would be about.

I'm sure "Cynthia Phaneuf has an announcement on Wednesday" is more popular because the writers can write the story in advance and fill in the details right after the press conference.

They don't even have to think about it: they can read this thread -- re-hash her back injury and skating record, and express how sad it is that she's not competing anymore and what a great role model she was -- since we've already written it for them.

2. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

This has to be retirement.
    She has been tweeting that she's been busy organizing her post-skating life; if she's been planning for that then it must be top of her mind.

If she has this injury it's clearly not something that would fix easily. So, long road back, managing logistics of keeping a place in Toronto and having home being Quebec...lots of unknowns on timing of everything and wondering how far back she will be able to get...

I see her feeling she won't be that ready for nats, thus losing this year and then trying to compete for likely one spot in Sochi which may or may not happen. All for what: a place on Olympic team and no hope for a medal. Been there, done that.

I suspect she's realizing the path she's on (again) isn't worth it this time.
    Wish her well.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:wall: Why on earth does the wording of the media alert concern you so much?

4. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

My guess is some people don't deem Cynthia worthy of making them wait a day or two for her announcement.

I find it rather petty myself.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Perhaps to thank her for her years of dedication to Skate Canada.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Why on earth does it matter to you that I responded to a post bemoaning the wording of announcements?

7. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Is it wednesday yet? :sheep:

8. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Sadly, it was pretty much Wednesday just after 4CC ended this past season....

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I won't be surprised in the least if Cynthia retires. Losing her title last season must have hurt and the past few years have been such a struggle.

To be honest, I won't miss the CBC's team fawning over Cynthia. This is not to say anything against Cynthia as it wasn't her fault. I think pressure from the media as well as Skate Canada made the past few years harder for Cynthia. IMO they were still celebrating the baby ballerina she used to be and in so doing, expecting her to maintain that style of skating. I think this limited Cynthia's growth as a skater and made it harder for her to reinvent herself in a woman's body. Plus there were a lot of comments on her size with negative innuendos - Browning once insinuated that she was overweight.

Maybe Skate Canada will start investing some energy in other lady skaters now. The favouritism of Phaneuf over Lacoste has been painfully evident and Phaneuf had to pretty much give the title away. It's true that Lacoste can't match Phaneuf in artistry, but still, artistry plus two or three clean triples does not a champion make.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Nope. Cynthia had every intention of continuing with Brian, but injury has been the problem.

11. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

We know she planned to continue. I think the poster was questioning should she have continued.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I personally never understood Canada's fascination with Phaneuf. Sure, she was a welcome change after the Jennifer Robinson years, but I remember all that over-the-top hype she got when she burst onto the scene. It seems like that hype has carried her over until now.

13. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

:lol:

14. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Cynthia is a beautiful skater to watch in person - she is so elegant and has great lines. I will miss her if she is indeed announcing her retirement.

15. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I would agree that in person she is very impressive for the same reasons you state. She also has great skills regardless of the jump issues. I also know she inspired a few girls who were thought too tall post puberty for a figure skater to not give up.

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Why yes, it is. 9am in the west, which doesn't count as the universe revolves around the east. :p So it's noon where it matters. Don't press conferences usually happen in the morning??

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Hers was scheduled for the 'afternoon,' according to one of the articles I saw. Hoping we'll hear something definite soon.
    Article in French

18. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Saw this on her Twitter (translated to English):

19. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

Seems like her announcement will be on TVA Sports @ 5:30 EST

Source

TVA Sports Website

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  20. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

It's official!

Rough translation ... It's official: Cynthia Phaneuf withdraws from figure skating. Live at 17:30

21. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Congratulations Cynthia on a successful career.

Now when's Joannie coming back? :saint:

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Cynthia, whatever her future holds.

23. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Good luck to Cynthia.

24. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:(
    best of luck on all future endeavors Cynthia!

25. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Awwwww, Very Sad. I will miss her very much. She is an inspiration to every girl who is told she has grown "too tall." And her artistry was not sufficiently appreciated. Bravo! to her for never giving up and for a wonderful career. Bonne Chance Cynthia. You will be sorely missed.

26. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good luck on your future endeavours Cynthia.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

28. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

This article in the Winnipeg Free Press also confirms the retirement. It reads:-

29. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

The answer to that would be never...

30. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Nagged by the back pain AND a coaching change. Was she saying something there? :lol: