Cynthia Phaneuf "career announcement"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

OMG she had a stress fracture in her spine for about a year. No wonder she struggled so much last season
    ((((Cynthia))))

From the above linked article

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

No. It's just you.

Habs, cholla, Kasey and 7 others like this.
  3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

If she is announcing her retirement, I will be sad to see her end her eligible career on these terms. I do hope she stays actively involved in the sport in other ways (coaching/, etc.).

4. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Neh, unless English isn't your first language. Sorry Ziggy. The rule as written says you MUST place top 5, but then they say that actually, no, you don't have to place top 5. So it isn't a 'must'. So why word it that way? Is English not your first language? Just curious.

It is like a university stating in its rules that in order for you to get a diploma you MUST attain a GPA of 2.0. However, even if you don't achieve a 2.0, you can still get your diploma at our discretion. So what's the point of making it a rule, if it means nothing anyway? Comprende?

But, anywhos, that's very sad news for Phaneuf. Didn't she have disc problems way back when? She's very tall, and back issues are worse the taller you are. I hope she's proud of her accomplishments in skating. The fact that she got to the Olympics and did well there after all her struggles is something to be incredibly proud of.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, if you really want to dissect the wording, maybe "named to the team" is not the same as "added to the team." You must place in the top 5 to be named, but there are other possible routes to being added. ;)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Ok, that works. But also the wording doesn't guarantee that you would be named to the team even if you placed top5. It just reeks of oldschool politics in naming teams. So the rule means nothing, is what it comes down to. Which made me question why even write it then? If the team has only a set number, like say an Olympic team, what is the point in saying that to be named to the team you MUST have placed in the top2 at Nats. BUT, it doesn't guarantee you being named to the team because also in the rule another skater can be added to the team at their discretion.

The only reason why I brought it up and criticized it, is because it just reminds me of the old archaic Olympic team selection rules. Basically the federation can name whoever they want, so the rules should just come out and admit that. Or better yet, just not even have the rule since it is only worth the ink on the paper.

Sorry to obsess over this. I'll stop now. :)

7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I think this question is answered by the two page thread that's been generated in the first 12 hrs. :D

8. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

ummmm I already know what she going to say

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Is she announcing an announcement (press release) or did she schedule a press conference? The latter is different in that if you want people to actually be there, you have to announce it in advance.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  10. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I will always have a soft spot for Cynthia - I remember speaking to her briefly at the Worlds in Dortmund where she wasn't competing but was "observing".

She has gone through some difficult times since she first appeared on the senior competitive horizon and she has bounced back and maintained a good attitude, always working hard to try to regain her momentum and to improve.

I believe that it is somewhat typical to issue a media advisory when you want to ensure attendance at a press conference and to have subsequent coverage in the press. Why all the negative comments?

11. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I don't really get why if she is planning on retiring or sitting out the season the president of Skate Canada would also be there? Maybe there will be other news besides what Cynthia is announcing?

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:rolleyes:

13. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I love Cynthia Phaneuf's skating; will be very sad if she indeed is announcing retirement.

14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

:confused:

15. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

One of the most recent stories about Cynthia is that she finished behind Amelie and the fed still wanted to send Cynthia to Worlds'. It wasn't fair to Amelie. I think that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

16. Cruella

Cruella New Member

It's great if you've got insider information, but the whole "I know something that you don't" type of post doesn't really sit well around here. Just sayin'.

17. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

When someone says they have a medical problem & that they have had it for a specified period of time, I always wonder how they could possibly know that. If it wasn't diagnosed a year ago, how does she know she had it that long (non-medical person here)?

18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

One can probably never know with 100% certainty, but once a diagnosis is made, it often sheds light on prior symptoms and one can frequently reasonably conclude that the prior symptoms were more than likely related to the condition that was just (finally) diagnosed.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  19. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I hate it when people make announcements about making announcements...just say what you need to say and be done with it. Why all the drama?

20. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Drama? :confused:

She's announced a press conference. This is hardly unusual, even in skating. Stephane Lambiel and Jeff Buttle did the same thing when they announced their retirements

21. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Still, it's a waste of time IMO. Just make the announcement...it seems silly to prolong the news by making an announcement that you're going to make an announcement. Why not just set up the press conference and say what needs to be said rather than make everyone wait? Though when you think about it, it does get people talking so I suppose it has the desired effect...still annoying though.

22. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Does it really matter in the overall scheme of things if a skater announces a press conference several days before it actually happens?

Seems an awfully silly thing to me to be annoyed about.

23. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

BTW, how do you get people to come to a press conference if you don't announce there'll be one ? :shuffle:

24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I guess the grumbling krew wanted her to use a fall competition or another event (conference, seminar or the like) that's already in place to make her announcement, rather than holding her own press conference.

25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    If there were no media at a press conference, how could it actually be a press conference? If you (and others) would prefer that she just issue a press release with a statement about whatever she wants to announce, just say so. A press conference implies that there will be some Q&A between whatever media people are there and Cynthia -- which requires that the media be alerted to the event beforehand.

26. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

That's exactly what is being done.

27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Lacoste and Phaneuf were very close in score in several competitions, but I doubt if Phaneuf had been that slightly ahead of Lacoste at Nationals that they would have given Lacoste another chance to come out ahead of Phaneuf.

You can call a press conference without announcing the subject in advance. Skate Canada doesn't call them randomly unless they have news worth showing up for.

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:confused: so you want them to say "we're having a press conference" without any suggestion of what it concerns? News flash: no one will come.

You always say who's going to be there, so media can decide if it's of interest and begin planning their stories (for example, gathering up background info they have on Cynthia, perhaps talking to some of their sources in advance, etc).

Clearly they want to say something more than simply retirement or the like, and they want to make Cynthia and other available in person. A press conference is held for major news, and also news where a lot of questions are anticipated, so you do it all at once rather than taking calls and answering the same questions over and over. It gives the media a chance to ask their questions and get their quotes and images, so they can file the story right away instead of waiting for SC or Cynthia to get back to them along with everyone else.

30. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Yeah right - I'm sure the media would just love that. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Habs and (deleted member) like this.