Cynthia Phaneuf "career announcement"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I don't really get why if she is planning on retiring or sitting out the season the president of Skate Canada would also be there? Maybe there will be other news besides what Cynthia is announcing?
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:rolleyes:
  3. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I love Cynthia Phaneuf's skating; will be very sad if she indeed is announcing retirement.
  4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

:confused:
  5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

One of the most recent stories about Cynthia is that she finished behind Amelie and the fed still wanted to send Cynthia to Worlds'. It wasn't fair to Amelie. I think that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
  6. Cruella

Cruella New Member

It's great if you've got insider information, but the whole "I know something that you don't" type of post doesn't really sit well around here. Just sayin'.
  7. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

When someone says they have a medical problem & that they have had it for a specified period of time, I always wonder how they could possibly know that. If it wasn't diagnosed a year ago, how does she know she had it that long (non-medical person here)?
  8. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

One can probably never know with 100% certainty, but once a diagnosis is made, it often sheds light on prior symptoms and one can frequently reasonably conclude that the prior symptoms were more than likely related to the condition that was just (finally) diagnosed.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  9. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I hate it when people make announcements about making announcements...just say what you need to say and be done with it. Why all the drama?
  10. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Drama? :confused:

She's announced a press conference. This is hardly unusual, even in skating. Stephane Lambiel and Jeff Buttle did the same thing when they announced their retirements
  11. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Still, it's a waste of time IMO. Just make the announcement...it seems silly to prolong the news by making an announcement that you're going to make an announcement. Why not just set up the press conference and say what needs to be said rather than make everyone wait? Though when you think about it, it does get people talking so I suppose it has the desired effect...still annoying though.
  12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Does it really matter in the overall scheme of things if a skater announces a press conference several days before it actually happens?

Seems an awfully silly thing to me to be annoyed about.
  13. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

BTW, how do you get people to come to a press conference if you don't announce there'll be one ? :shuffle:
  14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I guess the grumbling krew wanted her to use a fall competition or another event (conference, seminar or the like) that's already in place to make her announcement, rather than holding her own press conference.
  15. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    If there were no media at a press conference, how could it actually be a press conference? If you (and others) would prefer that she just issue a press release with a statement about whatever she wants to announce, just say so. A press conference implies that there will be some Q&A between whatever media people are there and Cynthia -- which requires that the media be alerted to the event beforehand.
  16. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

That's exactly what is being done.
  17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Lacoste and Phaneuf were very close in score in several competitions, but I doubt if Phaneuf had been that slightly ahead of Lacoste at Nationals that they would have given Lacoste another chance to come out ahead of Phaneuf.

You can call a press conference without announcing the subject in advance. Skate Canada doesn't call them randomly unless they have news worth showing up for.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:confused: so you want them to say "we're having a press conference" without any suggestion of what it concerns? News flash: no one will come.

You always say who's going to be there, so media can decide if it's of interest and begin planning their stories (for example, gathering up background info they have on Cynthia, perhaps talking to some of their sources in advance, etc).

Clearly they want to say something more than simply retirement or the like, and they want to make Cynthia and other available in person. A press conference is held for major news, and also news where a lot of questions are anticipated, so you do it all at once rather than taking calls and answering the same questions over and over. It gives the media a chance to ask their questions and get their quotes and images, so they can file the story right away instead of waiting for SC or Cynthia to get back to them along with everyone else.
  20. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Yeah right - I'm sure the media would just love that. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

"We're having a press conference about the national team" should be enough, especially with many of the insiders already knowing or having a good idea of what it would be about.

I'm sure "Cynthia Phaneuf has an announcement on Wednesday" is more popular because the writers can write the story in advance and fill in the details right after the press conference.

They don't even have to think about it: they can read this thread -- re-hash her back injury and skating record, and express how sad it is that she's not competing anymore and what a great role model she was -- since we've already written it for them.
  22. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

This has to be retirement.
    She has been tweeting that she's been busy organizing her post-skating life; if she's been planning for that then it must be top of her mind.

If she has this injury it's clearly not something that would fix easily. So, long road back, managing logistics of keeping a place in Toronto and having home being Quebec...lots of unknowns on timing of everything and wondering how far back she will be able to get...

I see her feeling she won't be that ready for nats, thus losing this year and then trying to compete for likely one spot in Sochi which may or may not happen. All for what: a place on Olympic team and no hope for a medal. Been there, done that.

I suspect she's realizing the path she's on (again) isn't worth it this time.
    Wish her well.
  23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:wall: Why on earth does the wording of the media alert concern you so much?
  24. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

My guess is some people don't deem Cynthia worthy of making them wait a day or two for her announcement.

I find it rather petty myself.
  25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Perhaps to thank her for her years of dedication to Skate Canada.
  26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Why on earth does it matter to you that I responded to a post bemoaning the wording of announcements?
  27. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Is it wednesday yet? :sheep:
  28. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Sadly, it was pretty much Wednesday just after 4CC ended this past season....
    Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I won't be surprised in the least if Cynthia retires. Losing her title last season must have hurt and the past few years have been such a struggle.

To be honest, I won't miss the CBC's team fawning over Cynthia. This is not to say anything against Cynthia as it wasn't her fault. I think pressure from the media as well as Skate Canada made the past few years harder for Cynthia. IMO they were still celebrating the baby ballerina she used to be and in so doing, expecting her to maintain that style of skating. I think this limited Cynthia's growth as a skater and made it harder for her to reinvent herself in a woman's body. Plus there were a lot of comments on her size with negative innuendos - Browning once insinuated that she was overweight.

Maybe Skate Canada will start investing some energy in other lady skaters now. The favouritism of Phaneuf over Lacoste has been painfully evident and Phaneuf had to pretty much give the title away. It's true that Lacoste can't match Phaneuf in artistry, but still, artistry plus two or three clean triples does not a champion make.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  30. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Nope. Cynthia had every intention of continuing with Brian, but injury has been the problem.
  31. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

We know she planned to continue. I think the poster was questioning should she have continued.
  32. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I personally never understood Canada's fascination with Phaneuf. Sure, she was a welcome change after the Jennifer Robinson years, but I remember all that over-the-top hype she got when she burst onto the scene. It seems like that hype has carried her over until now.
  33. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

:lol:
  34. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Cynthia is a beautiful skater to watch in person - she is so elegant and has great lines. I will miss her if she is indeed announcing her retirement.
  35. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I would agree that in person she is very impressive for the same reasons you state. She also has great skills regardless of the jump issues. I also know she inspired a few girls who were thought too tall post puberty for a figure skater to not give up.
  36. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Why yes, it is. 9am in the west, which doesn't count as the universe revolves around the east. :p So it's noon where it matters. Don't press conferences usually happen in the morning??
  37. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Hers was scheduled for the 'afternoon,' according to one of the articles I saw. Hoping we'll hear something definite soon.
    Article in French
  38. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Saw this on her Twitter (translated to English):

39. fsfan22

fsfan22 New Member

Seems like her announcement will be on TVA Sports @ 5:30 EST

Source

TVA Sports Website
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  40. fsfan22

fsfan22 New Member

It's official!

Rough translation ... It's official: Cynthia Phaneuf withdraws from figure skating. Live at 17:30