Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Where have I been that I've never heard of artistic cycling?

Here are some pics of a recent competition :eek:

Quinziato interview at Pez

Pereiro claims Astana is changing the terms of his contract to pay him less, and if they can't work it out, he'll retire. Not sure how that works, it seems like salary is sort of a main point in these contracts, but it's always difficult to negoiate when one side has a bike, and the other side has an army. :lol:

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Interesting article on Wiggins transfer to Sky. Vaughters and Millar don't seem particularly pleases with the way he handled things.

Also, don't know if anyone was following the "Fat Cyclist" exchange with Johan Bruyneel this past week, but it's a cute story. The Fat Cyclist is a blogger who has a funny blog about his biking exploits and eating habits. AboIn 2007, the blog took a serious turn when he discussed his wife's cancer diagnosis. Subsequently, the blog had some very touching moments as he described her fight with the disease, but also maintained his unique and funny take on other parts of life. His wife died this past summer, and his descriptions of the experience touched a lot of people.

Last week, in his blog, he wrote a letter to Bruyneel promoting his skills (including communication skills and an ability to spell) and seeking a job with Team Radio Shack. Bruyneel wrote back and said he could come to the Team Training Camp for the weekend if he could raise $10,000 for each of Live Strong and World Bicycle Relief. Bruyneel also threw in a bike if he raised $25,000 each by the end of the week. Fatty passed the $100,000 total mark in just a few days , and is heading off to camp. Some funy columns discussing the whole experience on the blog.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

5. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

ooh- another Fat Cyclist fan. yes, I've been following his blog for a while, now. The exchange with Bruyneel is priceless.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Le Monde is reporting that French authorities have opened an initial inquiry into transfusion equipment found at the Astana hotel rooms during the TdF. Such equipment is illegal under French criminal laws as well as UCI regulations. They also report finding syringes and related equipment with 7 separate DNA sequences identified, but haven't yet matched any up because the UCI won't release DNA samples to the French authorities. They're examining to see if the DNA samples had any prohibited substances such as HGH, but so far no confirmation that any illegal substance was identified.

Reportedly they were investigating some other teams as well, but they didn't find sufficient evidence to continue those investigations. I don't believe the syringes etc. are themselves illegal, so if the DNA is only on those items, and don't contain any prohibited substances, then it doesn't seem like any individual would be implicated. More fun to see how this all plays out.

In other news, Alan Davis (formerly with Quick Step) and his brother both signed with Astana.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  9. lash

lash New Member

:( before I clicked on that link I was totally expecting (hoping) to see Fabian in swimwear prancing about in the ocean. I was sorely dissapointed.

That was really mean GK :mad:

:lol:

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Team Sky launches their website, and announces their signing of Katusha's Ben Swift.

I have to assume Katusha wasn't as easily as initimidated as Garmin, so they may not have minded letting Swift go, but Sky's reported negotiation techniques to get Wiggins (supposedly threatening to tie Garmin up in expensive litigation over European labor laws) has left me feeling less than positive about a team with a lot of riders that I really like.

Article about the launch of Team Sky

Wiggins at the presentation, kits are black and blue on the front, but white on the back to prevent them from getting too hot in all black.

Back of the kits

Team about town

the legs of team Sky

Barry and Lofkvist

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  13. lash

lash New Member

I'm also disspointed in Wiggins as well. I mean CVV rode his ass off for him in the TdF. CVV would have been the team GC contender if not for his crash in the Giro. And he sucked it up and selflessly played domestique for Wiggo. After that for, Wiggo to say the things he's said in a few articles were just kinda....:rolleyes: and I'm usually one to not care what the athletes do outside of the game/race. But he basically slagged off on Garmin and said how if he had to fufill his contract with them he'd pretty much just phone it in for the 2010 season. :blah: I understand he grew up and trained under the UK cycling program but he could have made his exit a LOT more graceful to a team that gave him a big shot when no one else really did.

As for the rest of the riders well...they probably just went to where the money was.

I have a softspot for lovkist :)

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

A few more kits have been unveiled:

BMC - mostly dull, although the red seems like it could get hot during July

Footon Servetto - truly I have no words

no, not any better up close

And Frank and Andy Schleck better watch out - brothers Cameron and Travis Meyer (both with Garmin) won the Australian time trial and road race national titles. Cameron is the older brother at a mere 21 years old.

ETA: Cadel's wife, Chiara, poses with a wombat

ETA: The cyclingnews pics of the Footon Servetto unveiling are :rofl: Apparently the riders came in carrying a box which contained their new bike and black capes which they whipped off to reveal those kits. :lol: And what would black capes be without smoke!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/footon-servetto-rolls-out-2010-kit/100667

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/footon-servetto-rolls-out-2010-kit/100668

Hincapie in his US Road Champ jersey for BMC

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

16. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I can't look at that second picture without thinking about "The Full Monty". Seriously, flesh-colored kits? What were they thinking?

17. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

My brain must have been watching skating in Spokane, because I just realized this pic must have been from last year since Lance is wearing an Astana kit. :slinkaway I must have been blinded by the cute kangaroo

Cadel in his new BMC World Champ kit

Radio Shack debuts in Australia

Lance's girlfriend and baby Max cheer on the team

Team Sky kicks off their team existence with a win

Columbia-HTC is now HTC-Columbia

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

20. lash

lash New Member

ahhh, how I have missed cycling hotness on my television screen!!!

Someone said to me the reason behind the Footon team kit was to motivate each team member to win their national championship! :lol: I see it worked for one of them tho they made the Portugese nat champ a pretty ugly kit too :(

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  23. lash

lash New Member

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The cycling season is kicking into gear with the start of the Tour of Qatar. Day 1 had newly formed Team Sky beating Garmin in the team time trial to continue the rivalry that started when Sky lured Wiggins from Garmin. Just to keep things even, after Sky's Arveson broke his collarbone today, Garmin's Cozza broke his.

And in Vaughters free time, he started a feud with Lance Armstong by suggesting that in last year's TdF, Astana was "soft pedalling" so that Lance could keep up.

But it couldn't be the Tour of Qatar without a camel photo

Boonen is there as well showing off the Belgian champion's jersey

In sad new, former Paris Roubaix champion and head of the Italian National Team, Franco Ballerini died from an accident in a car rally. It took a special man to manage the personalities on that National Team and I always heard what a good job he did managing the conflicts.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The Tour of Oman's equivalent of the cow in the fields pic

Pozzatto's blog tries to explain his tattoo

Lots of debate as the peloton attacks Boassan Hagen, the leader at the Tour of Oman when he stops for a nature break. Bad sportsmanship? Or did he pick a bad time to stop when the winds were picking up (and echelons forming) and too close to the end? Is this the peloton's way of saying they don't like Team Sky? Or all three? All I care about is that I got to write echelon for the first time this season :cheer:

lash and (deleted member) like this.
  28. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

thank you for this. :smokin:

Floyd, I really want to support you, but you make it hard.

29. lash

lash New Member

I saw Floyd at Valley of the Sun stage race. He looked not too happy, and withdrew from the race after the time trial. I kinda feel bad for the guy :(

kedrin! I meant to PM you, Taylor Phinney and a lot of other pros were back in town for a race last month! Next time they are around I will let you know. I kinda miss ToC being in Febuary.

Bennati....ahhhh. thanks GK!

I have one word for Ricco...d-bag!

30. kedrin

kedrin Active Member