Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

2. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

Why am I not surprised? I feel sorry for huge talent wasted.

Run Lance Run! Just kidding.:p

Nice to see Andy again.

Cheers GardenKitty! Thanks for the off-season reports. How else can I keep myself up to date with cycling? It's getting cold and I already miss the sun flowers of France in July.

The lack of TTs in the tour, I don't mind not having TTT, because it usually takes potential contenders like Cadel out of contention. ITTs used to be a lot more exciting when we had guys like Indurin or Ullrich who scorched through the TT course. For some reason, I don't get the same excitement out of TTs last couple of years. Honchar had his own styling of pedalling, but he was testosterone fueled.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Whenever I check CNN.com I keep seeing ads with Lance for some energy drink where he's working out his upper body. WTH, dude? Upper body mass is not going to help you beat the scrawny-chested guys you're competing with. A nice "gun show" is just extra weight to haul up the mountains.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Elli Ochowicz, daughter of famed speedskater Sheila Young and noted US cyclist Jim Ochowicz (who is now part of managment at Hincapie's new team - BMC) had a great showing at speed skating team trials.

The route for 2010 Tour of California is being announced this morning (with hints on the Governor's twitter account), but this is reportedly the route.

Time trial in LA should be interesting, and Levi gets a stage ending in his home town. The race moves to May this year and is up against the Giro which should cut down on a lot of the Euro pros, but it should make for nicer weather. And Bakersfield is an odd stop, but apparently there is actually a pretty big Basque contingent there.

7. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

wow! 3 essentially Los Angeles stages. I'm stoked, though I would have liked the downtown to the beach time trial. The LA trialthlon bike route went right past my house- I got so psyched that I jumped on and road that leg of the triathlon on the spur of the moment. it was fun.

oh- and I saw Elli race a couple of years ago at the Petit- US single distance championships. I'm a huge speedskating fan as well, but I still can't figure out the Olympic qualification process.

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

9. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Levi Leipheimer, Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie, and Dave Zabriskie have been coordinated-tweeting about their participation in the Tour of California. It's been pretty amusing.

10. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

"Where's Alberto" is looking like the "Where's Waldo" of cycling. He's now free to leave Astana if he wants to....where will he go?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-confirms-contador-can-leave-astana

I remember Bob Roll saying he'd eat his hat if Contador didn't wind up on Caisse de Espargne (major spelling prob, sorry). I think he'd want to go to a better team, personally. Not too good (he's had enough of dealing with "who's the team leader?" situations), but still able to help him out.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

There seems to be some question about the application of that UCI rule and lots of ambiguities. Even Contador's manager (his brother) has said they'll have to look at the situation because the interpretation of the law is confusing.

This article from Bicycling discusses the situation, but this certainly is an interesting question.

While Contador is clearly the biggest name affected, Astana had tried to keep a number of riders (including Zubeldia and Popo) who wanted to go to Radio Shack. So this could end up affecting a few people and teams. Quick Step has apparently made a big push recently for Contador as well, and reportedly offered to let him bring along 4 riders with him. It will be fun to see how this all plays out.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  13. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

15. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

thanks- that was an interesting read. I'm interested in the World Relief Million Dollar Ride he's doing in Africa in November. I wish I could go.

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

According to the Silence-Lotto site and Cyclingnews, Cadel Evans has invoked a clause in his contract and is leaving the team. Wonder where he'll end up - Sky? Garmin?

Also per Cyclingnews, Kloden will pay a fine of about 25,000 Euros to end the "sporting fraud" case against him in Germany relating to the Freiburg clinic without admitting guilt.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Evans joins Hincapie and Ballan at BMC - didn't see that one coming. 3 year deal, and this should certainly help BMC get some invites to the big races. I assume he's not joining for the chance to wear a Hincapie Sportswear Kit, and I can't see them giving them the support he needs for the big Grand Tours - but he'll clearly be the team lead which is something Silence-Lotto wouldn't do this season.

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Interesting article/blog by Andy Schleck on cyclingnews discussing the season, his off-season, and even his fashion choices at the TdF presentation:

20. lash

lash New Member

Andy is SOOO cute. Awwwwww.....I just want to squeeze him. Er, hopefully I wouldn't break him :(

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's that time of year again - Amstel Curacao - where cycling is secondary to skinny, shirtless cyclists frolicing with dolphins and posing on beaches while they hold drinks with umbrellas and fruit in them (and Amstel beer, of course) :cheer:

Slideshow with obligatory shots of Contador and dolphins and other fun in the sun

And what's a cyclist on a beach without tan lines

You've been warned - topless Schlecks

More pics from the race site

And Schleck the elder took advantage of his all expense paid trip to Curacao to propose to his girlfriend Martine.

23. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

You've been warned - topless Schlecks

Martine, make that guy eat something!!! Holy cow, he's Michael Rasmussen level scrawny!

24. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Andy's always looked like one good wind would blow him away. No idea how they get up those mountains without simply floating off.

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  27. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Speedskater Claudia Pechstein's suspension for irregular blood values may have some impact on cycling. I believe this is the first time the Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled on a suspension based solely on blood values and not on a positive test or other testimiony/evidence. The UCI has threatend to bring some cases based on their passport testing, and this decision is likely to encourage them in that effort.

In other news, Astana finally got a pro tour license for next year, so it looks like Alberto will be staying (for a very large paycheck in addition to his deal with Specialized ). However, Cunego's Lampre team was denied a license.

ETA: Other reports say the UCI is requiring an unusually large bond for Astana, basically the whole year's budget, due to reports that they failed to pay salaries last year (or were late in paying), so maybe Contador isn't settled just yet. But Sky did get a license, which hasn't settled the ongoing Wiggins to Sky rumors.

Also Oscar Pereiro to ride for Astana for one year.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo