Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

looks like Astana is going to have a strong team afterall.. although I'll still put my money on RadioShack... don't like Armstrong political bent but do respect him as an athlete.. interesting to follow Armstrongs twitters.. should be an interesting team.. wander who else will now come down with the swine flu :watch:

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The Tour of Spain starts this weekend in the Netherlands of all places. It's like the Spring Classics have made a brief return for 3 stages! A lot of the big names who rode the TdF, including defending champion Contador, won't be racing, but there are plenty of riders to keep things interesting including the Schlecks, Basso, Cadel Evans , Olympic Gold Medalist Samuel Sanchez, the return of Vino, Valverde who apparently can ride in Spain even if he can't ride in Italy and the lesser known but talented Ezequiel Mosquera who has had good showings in this race previously. Sexy Back seems to be sending a very strong team, but many of them will be keeping one eye on Worlds which could impact how hard they race the Vuelta - but Riis always manages to have a motivated group of guys who really seem to want to help out a teammate. Cav won't be there, but Farrar, Ciolek, Boonen, Bennati and Greipel will be so there should be plenty of sprinting fun.

Steephill Dashboard is a great summary of stage profiles, race summary and start list.

And Cancellara and his impressive, er, assets should also be there for the fun!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Fun setting for the Vuelta team presentation

And just look how happy the Astana team looks!

and nothing says Vuelta a Espana training more than Northern European cobblestones

Cance and O'Grady train for the prologue on the Assen Motorsports circuit

Cadel in the rain

Bruyneel tweeted that after leaving the Tour of Ireland early he checked into the hospital for two days with a fever, but there are rumors that he also had H1N1 virus which would make two at the TofI (including Craig Lewis). Hope none of those riders picked it up at the Tour and that the Vuelta is illness free.

Don't forget the US road championships this weekend in Greenville. Garmin is bringing a lot of people and clearly want to make amends for their second place finish last year and get the US champs jersey on their team for next year but it's always fun when one of the lesser known riders can get it too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  5. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

Hey Garden Kitty and fellow cycling fans,

Did you watch Universal sports coverage? What is it like? Who are the commentators? Sherwin and Liggit? And please I don't want any more Bobke.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I watched their online coverage yesterday, and I think the announcer was Matt Keenan. I saw part of today's tv coverage, and their announcers were two guys I didn't recognize, I think Steve Schlanger and Todd Gogulski. They seem to be a bit more low key than the VS TdF announcers, but I haven't heard them enough to have a strong impression. It's hard to do the live coverage, because the race feed keeps jumping around, and a lot of time it's hard to tell who is in the break, but Keenan seems to do a decent job.

I have enjoyed their online coverage. I had a few times where it got caught up buffering, but mostly it worked fine. Universal Sports is still relatively new for cycling coverage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got more names or retired riders as they continue coverage.

And :respec: to George Hincapie for his win at the US Pro Road Race Championships. He may not have gotten his day in the yellow jersey in the TdF, but he'll have a year in the stars and stripes jersey. George doesn't tweet much, but he did post this after the race:

George celebrates his win

I guess we'll learn in just a few days where a lot of cyclists will end up tomorrow. The rumor is still that Hincapie will leave Columbia for BMC, but we'll see. Supposedly part of the deal is that the team will be outfitted by Hincapie Sportswear, but Sept 1 will come soon enough and we should hear lots of news then.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  7. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

awe- I love Bobke. but no, neither he, Phil nor Paul commentate on Universal Sports. I think this will be the first time I'll be able to watch the Vuelta daily (though it will compete with US Open coverage, so I'm kind of torn); still, even if they just streamed cycling with no commentators, that would still make them my new favorite station. I'm hoping they'll have some figure skating coverage of the grand prix events this fall.

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The schedule page on their website looks promising, but I haven't read any reports that they signed a contract with the ISU for rights to the non-US events. But since NBC extended their contract with USFSA, I assume we'll at least see their expanded, all event coverage of Skate America and Nationals on Universal Sports

ETA: Some more transfer (or not) rumors. Ballan to BMC and Contador to stay at Astana. Contador and Vino should be fun, but I suspect the ASO won't be too eager to have Vino back at the Tour just yet. And Chechu Rubiera reportedly will stick around for another year and ride for Radio Shack.

Alex Howes tweeted (and then removed) a post congratulating Hincapie on his win, but complaining that a lot of the fans in Greenville (Hincapie's adopted home town) were making rude comments to the Garmin riders. I guess a lot of locals still mad at the role they perceive Garmin played in keeping George from the yellow jersey and thought it a good idea to take it out on other riders who weren't even in France. :rolleyes:

ETA: Craig Lewis keeps tweeting about how George Hincapie is taking him and Craig's wife to NY for the day. Private plane, nice hotel and US Open for the night. George is an old Queens, NY kid, so I'm sure he's visiting family as well. Craig just tweeted calling it "one of the best days ever" - but I think that was after the 3 bottles of wine they had at lunch :lol:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  9. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

That was a bit much on fans' part. Garmin was trying to set their sprinters and lead-out guys up for stage points. Why would Garmin have to care about other team rider's getting the yellow or not. It was not as though George would be able to defend the yellow, considering the next day was the mountain stage. The tour is about a trade team vs. trade team.

I want to congratulate DZ on time trial win. Go Captain USA. And voila he is a Garmin guy.

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's Sept 1 and teams and riders can officially announce transfers. Lots of reports and some may ultimately prove premature, but here are some of the reports I've seen:

To BMC: Alessandro Ballan (Lampre), George Hincapie (Columbia), Marcus Burghardt (Columbia), Karsten Kroon (Saxo Bank), Steve Morabito (Astana), Michael Schär (Astana), and Simon Zahner

To Garmin: Robbie Hunter, Frederik Kessiakoff, Zirbel, Kredel, Peter Stetina, Johan Vansummeren

To Lampre: Alessandro Petacchi

To Radio Shack: Leipheimer

To Katusha:Kim Kirchen

To Columbia: Lars Bak

To Team Sky: reported Edward Boasson Hagen, Simon Gerrans and Kurt Arveson (although Sky hasn't announced anything officially yet)

Windmills and rain? Of course it's the Vuelta a Espana!

ETA: Nasty crash a the end of a rainy Vuelta stage today. Horner appeared badly injured but according to the Astana site, he finished the stage (they originally said he was DNF, and Chris and Vino are at the hospital being evaluated. Lots of other people went down, so I expect we'll be hearing more injury reports (although I think tomorrow is a travel day, which might help). Cadel's wife was immediately on twitter asking if anyone had seen Cadel after the crash. Looks like Cance and the Schlecks went down but were able to finish, so hopefully they're not too badly hurt, although they looked pretty grim crossing the line.

Also, somewhat risque camera angle on the podium presentation that went up the skirts of the podium girls :eek: At least one was wearing underwear that matched the jersey she was presenting :shuffle:

More ETA: Lovkvist confirms he's leaving Columbia but didn't say where he's going. I'm guessing Sky because most other teams are already announcing their signings.

More ETA again: Also To Sky: Chris Sutton(Garmin), Matt Hayman(Rabo) , Possoini (Columbia) and Greg Henderson (Columbia), Swift (Katusha).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Cav takes the first stage of the Tour of Missouri - a circuit race in St Louis

Meanwhile in Spain, Cadel managed to hold onto the gold jersey for just one day before giving it up to Valverde, which must make the UCI feel all warm and happy.

And Universal Sports confirmed that it will be showing the World Championships later this month.

Cav apparently got a Harley motorcycle for the win, and there was some discussion of how they'd split the winnings among the team. Cav also talks briefly about losing Hincapie next year in this article.

ETA: George in his new US Champion kit. :shuffle: Maybe the BMC kit will be different.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  13. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'll be really sad to lose having Cav and Hincapie on the same team. They are two of my favorite riders and it's been fun the last few years being able to cheer both of them on together. Now I have divided loyalties!

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  15. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Team Sky announces 10 more riders :

I thought Gerrans might go to Radio Shack since he was training with Lance over the summer, and it was obvious he was peeved with Cervelo leaving him off the TdF team.

I read that Tyler Farrar is leaving the Vuelta. It's his third grand tour of the season, and he may be trying to save something for Worlds.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  17. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

It was a big mistake on Cervelo's part to leave Gerrans off their TdF squad. Gerrans being smart, relatively all-arounder, he is easily capable of winning grand tour stages, especially the transitional ones.

John Lee Augustyn caught my eyes, as I still remember that crash in TdF. I hope all the best for him.

Any news on Robby Hunter of BarloWorld coming back? What about the KOM guy from BarloWorld?

18. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

I think Garden Kitty said Hunter's going to Garmen.

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Three big mountain stages in the Vuelta this weekend, starting with today.

SPOILER

Ryder Hesjedal becomes the first Canadian to win a stage in the Vuelta, holding off Gesink. Valverde keeps the gold jersey for another day. Garmin having it's best Grand Tour ever

21. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

Ryder finally carried the weight of a nation to the mountain top finish.

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

23. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

OUCH!

belated congrats to Farrar! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Zabriskie celebrates the win - the first stage race win of his career according to this interview in Cyclingnews.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

US Team for Worlds - apparently Hincapie, Levi and Chris Horner all decided not to ride according to Cyclingnews.

ETA: Only Garmin's director Jonathan Vaughters would come up with this gem on twitter :lol:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Boston Globe website has a collection of kissing pictures, including one of Cav on a podium. But there are lots of other cute or touching pictures in the group.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Johan Bruyneel's latest blog entry where he takes a few snipes at Vino

Meanwhile in the Vuelta, Valverde looks to have things pretty well locked up and Sanchez seems to have a good hold on second. It looks like it will be Basso and Evans battling it out for the last podium spot in tomorrow's ITT, but I guess anything can happen as the Giro ITT showed.

Article on Levi Leipheimer in the LA Times

Here's part 1 of the article that discusses Levi's fund raising efforts for the Tour of California

ETA: Team Sky gets awarded a Pro Tour License for 4 years .

And three Liberty Seguros riders test positive for CERA and Liberty Seguros pulls out of cycling sponsorship. Given the teams they've been unlucky enough to sponsor, I can't say I blame them.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

David Millar wins the ITT at the Vuelta - his first win at Garmin. And he gets a nice sword for his trouble.

Valverde still leads the overall with just the final day to go. I'm sure the UCI is thrilled. He's planning to go to Worlds, and shortly after that, there will be the hearing to see if the ban from Italy should be applied worldwide.

And Cadel Evans rode well enough (or Basso poorly enough) for Cadel to edge out Basso for the last spot on the podium.

Meanwhile, at the Tour of Britain, Michele Merlo got the stage win, which can only help his job hunt since his team Barloworld folds at the end of the season. And Boassan Hagen got four stage wins and the overall victory - a nice way for the future Team Sky rider to make an impression in the UK.

30. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

Cycling season is coming to an end. :( Now, what am I going to do? I don't think i can switch gears to figure skating that quickly. Just don't know what it is, but after watching the Tour of Attrition and Vuelta, I lost interest in figure skating a bit. Figure skating looks a bit too comfortable and too girlie for my taste.