Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

More Astana fun. Vino is cleared to ride from July 24th and has said that even though he doesn't have a contract with Bruyneel he can't imagine riding for any team other than Astana and he even has his race program all scheduled:

Just what the team needs, more people fighting to be team leader - only this one has the sponsor's backing. I really don't see Contador riding on the same team as Vino - at least Armstrong says he'd ride support if Bert is better, but I can't see Vino ever being willing to do that.

2. lash

lash New Member

Have funin cambodia! There's a ladies session every month so no worries. That's a great place to start :)

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Per Gazzetta, Danilo Diluca tested positive at two stages of the Giro. On the plus side, at least he's not riding the TdF.

Darn, I guess he didn't learn anything from the Oil for Drugs incident, but he did make the Giro more exciting. I'm particularly glad now that he didn't beat Menchov.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

7. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

11. Belsornia

Belsornia New Member

I wish Vino would stay away, but that weird kit certainly made me laugh.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Dan Schmalz interview with Columbia's Michael Barry

Discussing Salvatore "Toto" Commessa:

13. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

Actually, I don't mind having Vino back in peloton. He makes the tour exciting. I remember 2005 TdF Vino attacked numerous times in various cat 1/2 climbs, shredded the peloton in pieces, and then couldn't keep up with the paces of subsequent attacks. It was a quite sight to see him disappear to the rear end of peloton after launching so many attacks. It was even more hilarious to see Der Kaiser and Klodi shooting Vino down. Ah good ole days when T-mobile team was around.

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

15. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

RadioShack would like you to call it 'The Shack'

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2009-08-05-ads-rebrand-radioshack_N.htm

"The Shack" :blah: . I would have changed it to "RS", or "doing better than Circuit City" :p

16. Belsornia

Belsornia New Member

When I read that it somehow reminded me about that old song about going to the love shack, baby.

For some reason it always makes me giggle when they're referred to as 'bicyclists'.

Also kind of amusing is this pic of Fränk Schleck from brother Andy's mostly cryptic twitter. Have a sandwich, boys.

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

And Frank is the "heavier" of the two brothers. :lol:

18. Belsornia

Belsornia New Member

In this post-tour interview Andy claims he has 4kg on Fränk, though I find that hard to believe.

(If you have a few minutes to spare, its a pretty cute interview: they debate whether it's 'polka' or 'poker' dots for KoM and Fränk reveals his obliviousness to his girlfriend's hints for a ring, but claims he's going to name his future son Andy. :lol: It switches to English once they start talking.)

19. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

There really is nothing I don't love about Andy's twitter. It's like a daily puzzle.

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Rumors on Cyclingnews about Levi and Hincapie joining BMC. I'd heard rumors about George going, but this is the first I heard Levi mentioned - I assumed he'd be going with Lance. I really can't imagine Levi giving up the chance to ride in the Grand Tours next year, he won't have many more chances, but who knows.

IIRC, BMC is largely sponsored by the poor guy who owned Phonak. That experience turned out to be less than positive for him (maybe positive is the wrong choice of word :shuffle:), but he stayed involved with the sport although originally in a lower, "less high profile" way which was supposed to help with the doping issues. The DS is the former Phonak DS as well. Interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this.

ETA: Boasson Hagen leaving Columbia, although he hasn't identified a new team yet.

Also, both the UK and the US qualified a full 9 person team for the Worlds road race for the first time in a number of years. Interesting to see who gets selected (and who wants to ride). The course is pretty hilly this year, and doesn't seem like a good course for a pure sprinter.

Edited again: Vino (riding for Kazakh National team) wins the TT at the Tour de l'Ain, but Chris Horner takes the overall for now. The "queen stage" a massive climbing stage is tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  21. Belsornia

Belsornia New Member

i.e. Maybe we shouldn't build the whole team around Cav? ;)

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Very funny interview with Jonathan Vaughters by Velocity's Dan Schmalz

discussing if Alberto would come to Garmin:

With a lot of discussion regarding wine, twitter, Hincapie not gettting the yellow jersey and who messes up the toilet on the Garmin bus.

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Armstrong wins Leadville 100 and based on tweets, it seems Levi is set for Radio Shack next year. In a series of "trash talking tweets", Lance joked that Levi faked his broken wrist to avoid facing him at Leadville and suggested they bet a month worth of Levi's Radio Shack salary on next year's race.

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Paul Sherwen tweets that he's got malaria - yikes.

And Congrats to Tyler Farrar for his win at the Vattenfall CyClassic this weekend. One day races have never been a strength for US riders, so this is a nice win for Tyler - who could definitely use it after so many second places at the TdF. Of course, Cav wasn't there, but it's still a big win for Tyler and Slipstream.

And in very sad news, an Irish National team rider who was set to ride in the Tour of Ireland this week, was killed in a car accident this weekend. What a tragic backdrop for the race. :(

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  27. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

yikes. well, he lives in Uganda, says he's had it for years. Malaria- once you have it, you have it. When I lived in Africa, my host mother would say something like: 'I have a headache today. It's just my malaria acting up.'

It's not usually fatal, but really, we need to get rid of this disease once and for all.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Start list for Tour of ireland - very sad to see Healion's name on the list. :(

Congrats to Tyler Farrar for a sprint win at the Eneco Tour, but there was a bad crash at the finale and it looks like Baden Cooke got the worst of it. Never good to see a bike crumpled.

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Tyler wins his third stage so far in the Eneco Tour. He really seems to be on form lately which hopefully will be a good sign for the upcoming Vuelta (Cav isn't riding the Vuelta, is he?) Funky tattoo.

Meanwhile Cav continues his winning ways in Ireland

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Heeee's baaaack - Vino joins Astana (who saw that coming - besides everyone) and will ride the Vuelta.
    I just wish Bert were riding the Vuelta to add to the fun.

Columbia's Craig Lewis who just finished the Tour of Ireland was diagnosed with swine flu and will miss the US Championships. :( I hope the flu doesn't spread to a lot of the riders in the recent ToI.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009